Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

any high HP FI guys have experience w/ coating???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any high HP FI guys have experience w/ coating???

i'm in the middle of building my 408ci GT47-88 setup.

I'm taking my time w/ the build trying to do everything right the first time.

i have limited knowledge on coating the pistons, side skirts of the piston, exhaust ports, etc.

there's not many threads on tech other then this one:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ing+combustion

but thats a year old.

At first i thought people just coated the piston tops to help prevent melting upon lean conditions, etc. But upon reading that thread it seems you can coat piston tops, side skirts, exhaust ports, etc etc.

i wanted to PM Dart331Stroker since he had a wealth of knowledge and said he worked for Dart as the:

Dart Machinery Ltd.
Technical Department Manager
New Product Engineer

but he hasn't posted since 11/06. i'm not sure if he frequents the board.

any information is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TINKRD
i'm in the middle of building my 408ci GT47-88 setup.

I'm taking my time w/ the build trying to do everything right the first time.

i have limited knowledge on coating the pistons, side skirts of the piston, exhaust ports, etc.

there's not many threads on tech other then this one:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ing+combustion

but thats a year old.

At first i thought people just coated the piston tops to help prevent melting upon lean conditions, etc. But upon reading that thread it seems you can coat piston tops, side skirts, exhaust ports, etc etc.

i wanted to PM Dart331Stroker since he had a wealth of knowledge and said he worked for Dart as the:

Dart Machinery Ltd.
Technical Department Manager
New Product Engineer

but he hasn't posted since 11/06. i'm not sure if he frequents the board.

any information is appreciated.
I will say this. On my engine the pistons are coated on the top and the skirts are coated with something else. These are custom JE pistons. For high horsepower cars, it will give you a small amount of screwup before catasrophic damage occurs. At least thats what my engine builder explained to me. That and it will help keep the piston cooler under extreme cylinder pressures and cool off quicker as well. More importantly it puts the heat into the chamber and not the block. More heat in a chamber itself will generate a more complete burn for more hp.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I will say this. On my engine the pistons are coated on the top and the skirts are coated with something else. These are custom JE pistons. For high horsepower cars, it will give you a small amount of screwup before catasrophic damage occurs. At least thats what my engine builder explained to me. That and it will help keep the piston cooler under extreme cylinder pressures and cool off quicker as well. More importantly it puts the heat into the chamber and not the block. More heat in a chamber itself will generate a more complete burn for more hp.
thats pretty much what i've gathered from reading. i more then likely will have the piston tops and side skirts coated, but wanted to see if anyone had experience or benefits from coating the exhaust ports, etc.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TINKRD
thats pretty much what i've gathered from reading. i more then likely will have the piston tops and side skirts coated, but wanted to see if anyone had experience or benefits from coating the exhaust ports, etc.
I was told no on my setup....My goal is a little bit higher then yours so maybe that will help.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

talk jeff(inspector12) i think he had his pistons coated and was pleased with them, this was on his old set up i dont knoe if he did it on the new set up
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I was told no on my setup....My goal is a little bit higher then yours so maybe that will help.
are we going to dyno race?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In regards to chamber/piston coatings, I recommend doing everything or nothing. By everything I mean the tops and skirts of the pistons, the faces of the valves, the chambers and exhaust ports.
Coating the chambers and valves will theoretically increase the surface temps of the piston if the piston was bare, and vice versa. In N/A apps. this isn't much concern, but when EGT's and cylinder pressures are elevated with forced induction, you need to be careful.

Quick Reply: any high HP FI guys have experience w/ coating???