Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust question

i'm putting an ls1 in a 67 chevy truck, mounting the turbo behind the cab. i've noticed some guys are running truck manifolds, some building their own, some people say not to run headers, etc. what pros and cons, if any, does either have? what do i need to keep in mind as far as heat? i know stainless will probably hold up better, but $$$, so is this why some use the manifolds? will i have problems if i run a basic ceramic coated steel type header?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using '98 F-Body manifolds (stock). Bolted up great. Lots of pics and more info in my signature. I posted up a comparison of both with lots of pics here at ls1tech. Additionally, this will be of help:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpa...ap/photos.html

That is page 2 - there are more suggestions if you go back to page 1 of the article. Good luck.

I used manifolds because it was a perfect bolt-on, no welding, no guesswork, and cheap as hell ($25 I think I paid for both and in mint shape).
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the room in the engine bay, why not put it up front, where it belongs?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to agree with Mike. There is so much space in the engine bay on these trucks, you would be kinda dumb to spend the extra dough to get the rear-mounted turbos they sell for Vettes and the like (saw rear setup on a C5 on Horsepower TV recently, I think....no need for it on our trucks)
Old 02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

i'm building it all myself, so other than cost what advantage is there to having it up front? i just thought with it being out back there would be a lot less underhood heat. if i put it up front won't i have to move all the accessories?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

also, i like the 98 fbody manifold idea, thats probably what i'll use. if its up front i can turn them around, but i think the access. will be in the way. how do you f-dy guys do it and still keep all the front stuff? thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jdime20
i'm building it all myself, so other than cost what advantage is there to having it up front? i just thought with it being out back there would be a lot less underhood heat. if i put it up front won't i have to move all the accessories?
This has been discussed at least a thousand times before. Basically, it will make more power and spool quicker up front.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jdime20
how do you f-dy guys do it and still keep all the front stuff? thanks
You just have to use a little creativity and fab up piping. I have a front-mount T76 on my LT1 that I fab'd up myself. I also have a good sized water/air intercooler up front. I kept the stock radiator, fans, all belt-driven accessories, battery, cruise control, all in their stock locations. Plus, I didn't run any pipes below the K-member. Accesibility for maintenance isn't bad either. I can remove any one part of the turbo system without having to removing anything else.

A '67 pickup should be a piece of cake. I bet I could fit 4 turbo's under the hood and keep all accesoried!

Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i thought about it and i might try to put it where the battery is and move the battery to the bed. just wasn't sure about clearing all the ls1 stuff, not picking the motor up till next weekend. once i get it set in i can see what i'm working around. just getting a little anxous. like a little kid waiting for x-mas!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

btw, if i do a frount mount would the 98 fbody headers still be a good choice? i see that some of you guys are using some year of truck manifold turned around backwards

Quick Reply: exhaust question