Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size pump/tank for TT air/water IC

just curious what everyone is using-
Old 02-03-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the one I ordered from Summit

MEZ-WP136S WATER PUMP BLK
Water Pump, Electric, 20 gpm, Billet Aluminum, Black Anodized, Remote Mount, Each

David
Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
This is the one I ordered from Summit

MEZ-WP136S WATER PUMP BLK
Water Pump, Electric, 20 gpm, Billet Aluminum, Black Anodized, Remote Mount, Each

David
I have the same one, and a 5-gal fuel cell for the water/ice storage
Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

will this be for a car driven everyday or just a weekend /racecar?

If you plan on driving the car on the street alot get as large a water resevior as you can along with a decent radiator style heat exchanger, and not just an oil cooler. Another thing you might want to consider is a hobbs switch to automatically turn the pump on in boost.

I designed a system for one of my cars used mainly for 1/4mile and some street driving. I picked up a bilge pump from a boat store that had enough pressure but didn't flow to much gph as I wanted to have fresh ice water the entire 1/4pass. I used a 5gal fuel cell from summit and 3/4" feed and return line which all together was about 6 gallons.

IMO you wouldn't want to go any smaller then that if the car is going to be used on the street alot.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info- so a bilge pump will work - MM said his TTi kit had one
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on doing mostly street and only the track once or twice a year, wouldn't a air-to-air be better? On one of our imports, we're combining an a-t-w with a a-t-a set set-up. Just run the water through an "extra" radiator style intercooler. Don't believe we've tried that before, but in theory it should work.

What and how big is a "bilge" pump?? Mine flows just fine. My pump can empty the 5 gallon cell in about 10-15 seconds.

David
Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
If you plan on doing mostly street and only the track once or twice a year, wouldn't a air-to-air be better? On one of our imports, we're combining an a-t-w with a a-t-a set set-up. Just run the water through an "extra" radiator style intercooler. Don't believe we've tried that before, but in theory it should work.

What and how big is a "bilge" pump?? Mine flows just fine. My pump can empty the 5 gallon cell in about 10-15 seconds.

David

An AAIC, depending on the core you have, can still be very efficent. its also less complecated to install then an AWIC setup would be. I have an AAIC on my EVO and also one on my procharged Z06. The only downside to the AAIC is that you will never be able to get the charge air below ambient temps, I wouldn't even call that a downside though, its more just a function of how it gets the job done then anything else.

a bilge pump is what you would find if you were on a boat, its just used to pump water out of the hull. its about the same size as other pumps people use for AWIC like the Miezer(sp), and it installs the same, the difference is that it only costs around $100. I used one on my last car in conjunction with a HOBBS switch and the system worked awesome.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=014

Like this
Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a race car the pump flow is critical, the more the better. Once you know your pump flow try and size the tank so that it does not recycle in the amount of seconds your car will run.
On my daily driver, my holding tank is about one quart and my pump has less volume then I use on a racecar but my intercooler is slightly oversized and relys on a heat exchanger. My inlet air temp never goes above ambient by more than 20f unless I am towing a trailer, and then it seems like 30f is the high side.

Kurt