Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How does a wastegate work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does a wastegate work?

I've done quite a bit of searching but it isn't described anywhere that I see.
I assume for an external WG the pressure through the boost controller sits on top of the valve and assists the spring in keeping it closed? So to achieve minimum boost, you completely close off the pressure to the wastegate? And to up the boost you open the boost controller so more pressure is sitting on top of the valve helping the spring to keep it closed? So the min boost you can achieve is determined by the spring? If that's true, could anyone just go with a spring that will hold only 4 psi unassisted, and then up the boost as desired to the max achievable by the turbo just by increasing the pressure on top of the valve?
I got a used GT6776E (Precision Turbo for Buicks) that came with an actuator and a little screw in a box boost controller, but it looks like I won't be able to use the actuator since it's min boost is probably about 10 psi. Hopefully I can just pop the tube going from the controller to the actuator off the actuator and onto an external WG and be good. But I have no idea since the principle of operation isn't explained anywhere on this great wide web that I've found.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

The instructions that came with my Hallman Rx MBC said that the top port on the wastegate was to be open to atmosphere. and The source pressure should come in to the MBC and then the outlet of that to the side port on the Waste gate. "the boost controller creates a differential in that line. If your actuator is a 10psi acctuator and our controller is adjusted to create a 2 psi differential then you will have 12 psi of boost." HBC pro series instructions
Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Can someone provide more information. I'm not just asking for trivia, I need to know so I can figure out if my boost controller will plug right up to an external wastegate and work or if I have to buy a different one.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Learnhead
I've done quite a bit of searching but it isn't described anywhere that I see.
I assume for an external WG the pressure through the boost controller sits on top of the valve and assists the spring in keeping it closed? So to achieve minimum boost, you completely close off the pressure to the wastegate? And to up the boost you open the boost controller so more pressure is sitting on top of the valve helping the spring to keep it closed? So the min boost you can achieve is determined by the spring? If that's true, could anyone just go with a spring that will hold only 4 psi unassisted, and then up the boost as desired to the max achievable by the turbo just by increasing the pressure on top of the valve?
I got a used GT6776E (Precision Turbo for Buicks) that came with an actuator and a little screw in a box boost controller, but it looks like I won't be able to use the actuator since it's min boost is probably about 10 psi. Hopefully I can just pop the tube going from the controller to the actuator off the actuator and onto an external WG and be good. But I have no idea since the principle of operation isn't explained anywhere on this great wide web that I've found.
The wastegate controls the boost by creating a controlled exhaust leak, it takes some of the exhaust gases to power the turbo and by passes it by rerouting it into the final exhaust. If you’re not using a boost controller you should just hook boost to the port closest to the valve and leave the top port open for a vent. If you using a boost controller it gets it supply boost from the compressor the routes it to the top of the wastegate to keep it closed longer to raise the boost.

George Scott
Turbo Technology Inc

Quick Reply: How does a wastegate work?