Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Z28 project help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 project help

I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me... my car is a 1999 Camaro Z28 (my dream car) I would like to mod it to 500hp 500 ft lb by going with the ATI procharger d1-sc and other mods, but I dont want to tear into the engine to much. the car is mostly stock and I have e-mailed EPP just waiting for a reply from them. Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated. thanks again
Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540

Are you planning on spending a lot of time on a dragstrip, or is the car going to see mostly street use? Thanks. Bob
Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

mostly street use some drag. I am in the USAF based in North Dakota I have heard a lot of good things about EPP from this fourm and think the drive down to EPP will be worth it... spending limit is $8000 to $9500

Last edited by LS199Z28; 02-09-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS199Z28
mostly street use some drag. I am in the USAF based in North Dakota I have heard a lot of good things about EPP from this fourm and think the drive down to EPP will be worth it... spending limit is $8000 to $9500

At that budget you might want to consider turbo unless your budget is for the kit, suspension, rear end, wheels, gauges, fuel sys, etc. You could probably either get a custom turbo kit fabbed or buy a kit from a vendor and have it installed and tuned for $9500 easily. The supporting mods add up real quick but for a Procharger setup 8-9k could get you a D1 setup, forged pistons, 6.0 heads, and tune. FI can mess your world up real quick if you are going to rely on your stock parts for longevity at those HP numbers.

If it's an auto you will definitely need to start thinking of upgrades and if it's an M6 you will need to worry about the clutch. If you plan this right you will have minimal issues but if you do it like i did (bought a Vortech kit then did a bunch of reading about turbos so then I sold the kit and went turbo) you will be treading water for a while waiting for parts and money to complete it.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to most things so I prefer to do things the way I believe to be "right." So take my suggestions with a grain a salt if you know exactly what you're after. I know my build took over a year and it's not even close to being complete.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Either way you can't go wrong with Bob and EPP as they've been a part of this community for some time now and have always taken care of their customers as well as put out some really slick cars.

Greg
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

that money will be for the d1-sc kit and most likely have it installed and tuned by EPP and some mods (BMR torque arm, gauges, sub frame connectors, and a few others). I just got off shift so let me give a little more information about the car as I did not have time before. The car is a M6 and is mostly stock other then slp air lid and exhuast.. I know that $9500 is not going to build me a 500hp car and also be able to handle it very long but it is a start... it is a weekend driver and with being deployed i dont get to drive it as much as I would like to. Here is a list of mods I plan on doing in the next year

ATI Procharger D1-SC tuner kit from EPP (installed and tuned by EPP)
Spec stage 3 clutch
New drive shaft (need help on what type)
moser 12-bolt rear end (33 spline / truetrak)
BMR torque arm with relocation
BMR box tube sub frame connectors
Hooker Headers
Magnaflow exhaust
17x9.5 rims (need them to fit new rotors later on)

and that should be it for 2007 I will finish buliding the rest of the suspension in 2008 also thank you for your suggestions Greg like you I do want to do things right the frist time I just want to make sure what I want to do is right, and thanks Bob for the link it is very informative..... any suggestions on the list above would be great

Thanks All

Aaron
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disassembled
At that budget you might want to consider turbo unless your budget is for the kit, suspension, rear end, wheels, gauges, fuel sys, etc. You could probably either get a custom turbo kit fabbed or buy a kit from a vendor and have it installed and tuned for $9500 easily. The supporting mods add up real quick but for a Procharger setup 8-9k could get you a D1 setup, forged pistons, 6.0 heads, and tune. FI can mess your world up real quick if you are going to rely on your stock parts for longevity at those HP numbers.

If it's an auto you will definitely need to start thinking of upgrades and if it's an M6 you will need to worry about the clutch. If you plan this right you will have minimal issues but if you do it like i did (bought a Vortech kit then did a bunch of reading about turbos so then I sold the kit and went turbo) you will be treading water for a while waiting for parts and money to complete it.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to most things so I prefer to do things the way I believe to be "right." So take my suggestions with a grain a salt if you know exactly what you're after. I know my build took over a year and it's not even close to being complete.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Either way you can't go wrong with Bob and EPP as they've been a part of this community for some time now and have always taken care of their customers as well as put out some really slick cars.

Greg
you can get that kinda power out of an STS car with less money. i made 472/501 on stock motor. and then i got a custom TRT cam and it went 503rwhp and 512ftlb @ on 5.5-6psi. imagine what i would make with the 7.5

i would go turbo, just my .02 but the instant boost of a supercharger is
Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

ATI Procharger D1-SC tuner kit from EPP (installed and tuned by EPP)
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=539

Spec stage 3 clutch
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=357
plus $350.00 installation

New drive shaft (need help on what type)
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=541
No installation charge.

Moser 12-bolt rear end (33 spline / truetrak)
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
I highly recommend the Moser 9 inch. Add $350.00 for installation.

BMR torque arm with relocation
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=171
Installation $100.00

BMR box tube sub frame connectors
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=155
Installation $100.00

Hooker Headers
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=823
I'd like to talk you into upgrading to Kook's headers. $750.00
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=825
$350.00 for installation for both items above.

Magnaflow exhaust
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=463
$400.00 plus $70.00 installation

Hope this helps. Bob
Old 03-24-2007, 03:46 AM
Launching!

where in nd are you? im assuming the forks. are you the guy with the black z with black rims? well anyways welcome and with the mods above you will have a beast. also if you do get some of those parts myself and a few others have done most those mods minus the s/c and would be willing to give you a hand on installs to save some money.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Veteran

You guys from N.D. will have to come down to SF and play with us at Marion . Drop me a PM.

David
Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jester177
where in nd are you? im assuming the forks. are you the guy with the black z with black rims? well anyways welcome and with the mods above you will have a beast. also if you do get some of those parts myself and a few others have done most those mods minus the s/c and would be willing to give you a hand on installs to save some money.
I'm in the forks, no my z28 is blue with chrome rims, I am back from the desert and once I get settled in a bit I will have to look you up, I am finding hard to get help with mods from people when they have never worked on this type of car before but I will PM you in a few days Thanks agian

Aaron

Last edited by LS199Z28; 03-25-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
You guys from N.D. will have to come down to SF and play with us at Marion . Drop me a PM.

David

After looking at the mod list of your car and the 9 sec club thing... yea... I will make a trip to SF but if we run on 1/4 you have to be in reverse.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS199Z28
After looking at the mod list of your car and the 9 sec club thing... yea... I will make a trip to SF but if we run on 1/4 you have to be in reverse.

It should still be fun. Maybe we can help with your project. This summer the shop should have, besides my car: a twin-T61 93 Cobra; twin-T61 91 Mustang; supercharged 92 Mustang; my son's 93 MR2; a 1999 Honda - both with big *** turbo's. All should be at 10.0 or 9's. Possible that a couple could be in the 8's. All are street/drag car, all but mine will have full interiors - all will have 10-point cages.

Give us a call. I promise I'll turn the boost down

David
Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Launching!

sounds like fun i had my a$$ handed too me in fargo by a 9 sec probe once why not a 9 sec camaro too. too the o/p i havnt seen a blue one yet do you live on or off base? where do you work also?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Navy David SS
is there any place in sioux falls that carries kenne bell superchargers? i looked at dyno tunes web page but i believe they charge too much for any thing they do. and i dont like dealing with some of the shops down in minneapolis.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jester177
sounds like fun i had my a$$ handed too me in fargo by a 9 sec probe once why not a 9 sec camaro too. too the o/p i havnt seen a blue one yet do you live on or off base? where do you work also?
Who me? I'm an retired Navy guy. Not much of base around here. I'll PM you on the other.

David
Old 03-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

I live off base crawling distance from Bucks, I work over at AMXS yea I am a hydro guy for the 135's and the z28 sits while I deploy for 10 months out of the year

Quick Reply: Z28 project help