Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Replacing my oil pump and had a pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my oil pump and had a pulley question

Hi everyone,

My oil pump died and so...I am replacing it. I bought everything i needed and am basically doing this myself with the instructions i found on ls1howto.com.

I got my s/c off today, the belt, the radiator, the fan shroud, emptied oil, emptied raditor and removed the other belt and the water pump.

So that leaves my pullies and front timing cover before I can get to the oil pump.

I have what looks like 2 pulleys, a big one for my 8 rib s/c belt and another one behind that which i am assuming is my crank pulley. I am removing it with an 8 inch 3 prong/arm puller. Can any one give me any advice or tips? Ive never done this. I assume I undo the 3 hex bolts first. But then what do i do?

Thanks,

Crystal
Old 02-21-2007, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

help please
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Ive never done an LS1, but it should be the same on just about any motor...

loosen, but do no remove the center bolt that holds the pulley to the crank. Reason for this is so your puller does not eat up your crank snout, maybe just the bolt which is easy to replace. But you have to get it loose enough so that the pulley can slide off without hitting the bolt again, i usually take mine all the way out, then put it in about 3 or 4 full turns.
Then attach the puller to your pulley with the 3 bolts, if you car is a 6 speed make sure its in gear, if its an auto, find a way to keep the motor from turning. Then start cranking down on the large center bolt of the puller. Mine always needs an impact gun to remove, but its a fluidamper, my stock pulley would come off with a breaker bar.

hope this helps, and is relevant to an LS1
Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Welp i got it off, it was actually less then a few minutes. Lord i was worried for nothing. I guess the fun part is getting it back on. Anyways, After I removed it I noticed my cam is cracked. Please give me your advice.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...22#post6513222