Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Build help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Build help!

Just wondering what all I would need to put into my engine build if im looking for 650whp MAX and 500-550whp DD....I want the set up to be SAFE and RELIABLE!! I DO NOT drag race....highway races for the most part....it will be a "just for fun car" that I want to be able to DD (if I choose to) without any problems!

I know budget and turbo dont go together BUT I want to do this as cheap as possible, meaning I dont want to put in any parts that I dont need to support the hp im looking at making...I did a search and didnt find anything on interanal strength on all the parts...Not sure what kit I will be going with as of yet but the STS is a good runner right now...

Heres some things that will FOR SURE be going on the car...

6.0 heads
clutch
TRT Cam
Patriot Gold Springs
Hardened Push Rods
Pistons

What else do I need? Also will a t67 be able to make the power I want?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion....ls1/ls6 block..forged pistons for stock rods..stock crank...stockish cam...sts with t67 should do what you want and be reliable
Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome thats what I wanted to hear!!

Perfect response!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cablebandit
my opinion....ls1/ls6 block..forged pistons for stock rods..stock crank...stockish cam...sts with t67 should do what you want and be reliable
A T-67 will support 650 rwhp on an stock cubed LS1?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Just wondering what all I would need to put into my engine build if im looking for 650whp MAX and 500-550whp DD....I want the set up to be SAFE and RELIABLE!! I DO NOT drag race....highway races for the most part....it will be a "just for fun car" that I want to be able to DD (if I choose to) without any problems!

I know budget and turbo dont go together BUT I want to do this as cheap as possible, meaning I dont want to put in any parts that I dont need to support the hp im looking at making...I did a search and didnt find anything on interanal strength on all the parts...Not sure what kit I will be going with as of yet but the STS is a good runner right now...

Heres some things that will FOR SURE be going on the car...

6.0 heads
clutch
TRT Cam
Patriot Gold Springs
Hardened Push Rods
Pistons

What else do I need? Also will a t67 be able to make the power I want?
There's more to it... You will need serious fuel mods to jump from stock to 650 rwhp. Also, you will have to plan some significant venting/PCV reconfiguration with some vents and a catch can...

Get the good clutch and MAKE SURE you keep mediocre street tires otherwise you risk the rest of the drivetrain. Don't forget your gauges.

How many miles on the car?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
There's more to it... You will need serious fuel mods to jump from stock to 650 rwhp. Also, you will have to plan some significant venting/PCV reconfiguration with some vents and a catch can...

Get the good clutch and MAKE SURE you keep mediocre street tires otherwise you risk the rest of the drivetrain. Don't forget your gauges.

How many miles on the car?
Yeah I will be using 42lb injectors...maybe 60lb not sure what the 42 max out at and probably go with a 255 in tank....maybe a ls7 clutch? or Ram....I already have boost, A/F, and oil temp gauges...ill be picking up a wideband most likely too....

No DRs?? I Will eventually upgrade the rear end to a 9" or 12bolt(not sure which I want yet) it just wont be
right off the bat...

Car has 62k miles and about 30k on the motor....the motor was replace under factory warranty in 03

Also how will the T-56 hold up to that power? Keep in mind it will be running 500-550whp 90% of the time then max for those "fun times"

Last edited by my01ws6; 02-26-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I will be using 42lb injectors...maybe 60lb not sure what the 42 max out at and probably go with a 255 in tank....maybe a ls7 clutch? or Ram....I already have boost, A/F, and oil temp gauges...ill be picking up a wideband most likely too....

No DRs?? I Will eventually upgrade the rear end to a 9" or 12bolt(not sure which I want yet) it just wont be
right off the bat...

Car has 62k miles and about 30k on the motor....the motor was replace under factory warranty in 03

Also how will the T-56 hold up to that power? Keep in mind it will be running 500-550whp 90% of the time then max for those "fun times"
If you're going for 650 rwhp, you'll definitely need the 60#ers. The fuel pump may not be enough... Once you start approaching 15 psi, you'll really need two of those 255 l/h pumps (Is it Walbro you have?).

You're an '01 so your PCM is fine... Wideband, good idea. You should really have a fuel pressure gauge JUST in case a pump dies or something you can drive your car safely without going into boost... You'll know right away with the pressure drop.

LS7 clutch might start slipping 650+ rwhp, I think. The T-56 will be just fine... DR's on a stock ten-bolt with a strong clutch is a bad idea... There are a FEW who have done it, and I don't know how since there are LS1 owners I know (granted, they love the track) that have snapped driveshafts, blown ten-bolts, etc with STOCK/BOLT-ON power levels launching on DR's. If you're getting a 9", DR's and slicks could still pose a danger to the stock driveshaft if you're track happy and trying to cut good 60 foots... I think your T-56 will be just fine if you take care of it.

That's cool you got a new motor... Sounds like it just wants boost now.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really appericate all your help! You have been more than helpful!

What kind of internal upgrades should I be looking into to keep it extra safe...Or would I be good with pistons, push rods, heads and valvesprings?

Yeah the motor was replaced cause piston 1 went out and fucked the cylinder wall up as well....so I go a brand new motor...LS6 block and LS6 intake

Yeah the pump is a Walbro...ok so I probably need 2....could I get away with 1 at only 550rwhp? Yeah I thought that the injector would max out...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump

anyone else?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe i can help. I was in your shoes not too long ago asking the same type of questions so i know where you are coming from. As for the fuel question. a single pump MAY cut it at 550 hp but your really on the edge, some make it, some need more. If your only wanting to run 1 pump, then definitely think about adding the kenne bell or MSD Boost-A-Pump which helps boos the voltage of the pump allowing it to put out some more fuel. 42's may be close to max out, if your ever planning on seeing over 550-600 rwhp, i suggest shooting right into the 60 lb ones.

As for motor, the best best would be to contact a vendor and get a built shortblock made for your application. Most people on here use Speed Inc, TSP, HPE, etc. There are a few more but those are a quick few to look at. To keep cost effective, a built 346 or iron 370 are good choices that reuse the stock crank (plenty strong). Your going to want a low compression motor.

That manual stuff, no idea, can't drive one worth a damn, why i own an auto, haha.

An electric fuel pressure guage is good to have, especially if your not going all out with a fuel system so you can monitor how much FP you drop under boost, etc.

I honestly would just step up to a slightly bigger turbo to start with, especially if your getting a built shortblock, i would just go right to a t-76.

As for valvetrain, decently tame cam's seem to do well with boost, stock z06 cam and the LPE GT2-3 come to mind, a set of good valvesprings (dual golds are nice), hardened pushrods, ported oil pump, timing chain, all that jazz is nice to have. As for heads, the stock truck heads (#317) seem to work well and help lower your compression to be more boost friendly, getting them ported is a plus obviously.

Hope this helps

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Superman09

I honestly would just step up to a slightly bigger turbo to start with, especially if your getting a built shortblock, i would just go right to a t-76.
Yeah, I thought the 67 was too small... For 500 rwhp it seems to do well, but I don't think it's gonna work for 650 rwhp... Especially if you go over stock displacement.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

for what ive learned researching my own t70-ls1 build is that stock internals are fine up to about 10 pounds, alittle more with water spray, but that when you install forged pistons, the extra pistonweight really calls for forged rods, so dont skimp on those..
Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the help bboyferal and Superman09!! I appreciate it very much!!

My plan is to buy the turbo kit and all the supporting mods to just get in running, then I will probably run only 5-7psi until I can save them money for the rest of the shortblock....I will probably hold off on the rear end until Im completely finished with the car....I think I can manage my 10bolt that long (I dont do burn outs, nor do I launch the car) this is a "show n' go" car...and just for fun...

Also I dont really want to buy a shortblock...I was hopin to reuse my block and the crank for sure....then buy all the rest of the parts I need and have someone put it together....I figured I could save some $$$ doing that....
Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea, that may save a little bit but now a brand new ls6 or 370 iron block is only like 5-600 core and its brand new. All depends.... Your goals seem very similar to mine, show and go. Your 10 bolt should be fine unless you get traction. I was planning on running 7 psi as well on my shortblock but precision sent me 8.7 psi springs so i just said **** it and am adding meth injection, haha. Next year i plan to forge the bottom end and up the boost. Everyone has to start somewhere right?

So have you decided on which turbo kit yet? Took me like 6 months to decide, haha.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the help bboyferal and Superman09!! I appreciate it very much!!

My plan is to buy the turbo kit and all the supporting mods to just get in running, then I will probably run only 5-7psi until I can save them money for the rest of the shortblock....I will probably hold off on the rear end until Im completely finished with the car....I think I can manage my 10bolt that long (I dont do burn outs, nor do I launch the car) this is a "show n' go" car...and just for fun...

Also I dont really want to buy a shortblock...I was hopin to reuse my block and the crank for sure....then buy all the rest of the parts I need and have someone put it together....I figured I could save some $$$ doing that....
Ask me anything anytime, dude... Glad I could be of help.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yea, bboyferal is definitely a nice guy, he helped get me the knowledge i know right now from when i was a super turbo newbie

Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Im definitely new to turbo builds.....and I really do appreciate all the help! To be completely honest I have NO IDEA what turbo kit....I like the OFI kit but seems like you have to wait awhile...

I want to keep my AC and everything else and not have to relocate anything(but i will if i have to).....and to be honest I dont know all the kits that do this....STS seems like a good bargain right now...If I have the money I definitely wouldnt mind going twins...

See the reason why Im straying away from the STS is that Im lowered VERY LOW and I want to keep it that way...some people tell me Ill be alright just needs to be tucked higher....but I dono...I dont want to regret buying the kit...

Can you guys tell me the kits that retain the AC and everything else?

Superman09 - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WHEELS!!! What kind are they??
Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks, wheels are Privat Fahrens.

As for kits..
You have your Truck manifold kits, mine is a truck mani kit. I got my twin kit from Turbo-Zone and i know they make single kits as well. Very easy design, efficient, works solid. However you lose your AC as the pass side mani goes right where your AC Compressor is, the alternator needs to be relocated up top, and usually you have to re-bend your pwoer steering lines.

-OFI makes a nice kit, i'm not sure what mods are needed to fit but i know it retains AC and alternator stays in same spot i believe. It mounts the turbo in roughly same place as a truck mani kit in the center using a crossover. The headers look amazing and they are the reason why it retains ac and such ove rthe truck mani kit.

TTI makes a street kit using log manifolds and a race kit using a header design. Both nice, however in the higher HP the logs will become restrictive. TTI has been around forever and is probably the fastest company for getting you a kit. (Front mount)

STS of course, rear mount. You will get the guys saying it has lag and such, but the bottom line is... it works and gets the job done. One of the more popular kits, easier install, however the turbo is in the rear so everything has to be run back there. May lose some ground clearance but i see a lot of guys arent having too much trouble with that. TRT is definitely the place to go for an STS kit, they sell them in packages including your fuel stuff, guages, even valvetrain components and also make a Front mount intercooler kit for it like it came that way with the kit. Also, you wont beat their prices.

APS is making a twin kit for the f-body, will be out next season. There products look quality, however the design of their f-body kit is not yet known. I've heard its supposed to be like an improved/new Incon kit.

Incon, no longer in business, known as one of the better kits out there. Rare to come across now and usually pretty pricey. Twin turbo with 2 intercoolers mounted horizontally and the turbos mout back down and sort of behind engine. Requires some mods to fit i believe but not too sure on details.

Speed Inc, twin turbo kit, full kit, mounts turbos close to same spot as the incon, uses a large front mount intercooler. Very top notch shop and kit. Requires a few mods to fit buti'm not too sure what.

There are other kits like PTS/PTK, CAS, QMP, etc that i am not that familiar with. Hope this helps

My opinion... for the guy whos looking to make around 500-600 hp max and street car, i'd say your best bang for the buck if your going to install would be the STS, if you want a front mount and dont mind losing AC, your best bet is a truck mani, cost effective and works well. If you want a high hp set up (these can still be used for lwoer hp set ups as well) check out speed incs twin kit.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah to be honest I think im sold on the STS kit....its just an AWESOME price! I figure I can buy that and have money left over for all my other goodies!!

Yeah I LOVE those incon kits...I think they are pure sex!!! I wish they still made the phamspeed kit! They were a REALLY good and cheap buy!

Last edited by my01ws6; 02-27-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh a couple other things I want to mention is that I can only run 91 octane....will this be a problem?

And also does anyone sell the procharger type set up? I love the hidden look, thats what Im trying to achieve....I dont care for the front bumper cut out look....just my opinion tho....

Quick Reply: Turbo Build help!