Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how cheap have you turboed something????

Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how cheap have you turboed something????

ok, am tired of seeing people on this board saying that it takes 12 million dollars to turbo a vehicle. i have spent alot of time on turbomustangs.com and there is a ton of people on there that have built some pretty budget turbo setups for pretty cheap.

the only thing i have left to buy for my setup is the oil and fuel lines and i have about 2 grand in it.

if you have a budget setup post it up and tell me how much you spent. i know everyone is gonna say "forced induction and budget doesnt go together" but lets just see what people have done.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea right. $2k. lol
Old 02-28-2007, 03:02 PM

I want your parts list and prices. I paid $2k for my fuel system.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

12million no thats way to much

i have only spend 11million so far
Old 02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

im up to 11.5 mill myself
Old 02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Launching!

good luck with this thread, no one who dumped a bunch of money will want to hear of anyone paying less
Old 02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

god forbid someone is resourceful!

a lot of guys on turbomustangs are putting stuff together cheap, but remember theyre using small turbos that are bought for pennies.

I saw a dude using turbos off of a turbo t bird that he got for 10 dollars. Itll work, but if you expect to make any power i doubt its going to work out how you like it.

best bet is to buy stuff used, keep an eye out for deals, and build everything yourself...and by everything...

i mean everything, bends, slip joints, merges, flanges.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98trans am
good luck with this thread, no one who dumped a bunch of money will want to hear of anyone paying less

Im all for someone doing a Turbo kit dor less $$

I hang out on Turbo Mustangs myself....

Post the parts list up... im sure there are things u havent planned for....
Old 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Teching In

I learned along time ago if you have to ask what it cost you can't aford it.
Sorry not trying to be a smart azz, Just the truth.
If you want cheep go with nitrous.
My Turbo alone was 1500 bucks
Good luck
Old 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First, you got this thread off on the wrong foot from the start with your ridiculously exaggerated first statement.

Second, the LS1 f-body comes from the factory with ~300rwhp. H/C/bolt-ons will get you into the low to mid 400rwhp range easily, high 400rwhp range if you go with something a bit more aggressive. So it's not very practical to go the turbo route unless you'll looking for over 500rwhp, cause it'll just be cheaper to go H/C/bolt-ons. At that point, you need to upgrade pretty much your entire drivetrain or risk breaking stuff left and right.

You really want us to believe you've hit over 500rwhp on your Cobra for 2 grand? By all means, post a detailed purchase list. That really should have been the very first thing you posted, instead of some ambiguous claim.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanna see this parts list...
Old 02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

I just spent more than your whole budget on doing a turbo swap on my Syclone that originally came with a turbo. Of course $900 of that was on a new converter, a big turbo ain't **** if you can't get it to spool from a dig . Did you include those types of costs in your build?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for the hell of it, here's the build I have planned, which I currently consider a budget build, but is well more than a few grand...

TTi street turbo kit purchased used for $4550. Includes upgraded FMIC, wastegate, and BOV, as well as a brand new Turbonetics T76 turbo.
fuel pump and accessories ~$200
Fuel injectors, 60lb $420
6.0L heads + upgraded springs ~$600
Boost gauge, fuel gauge, gauge pod ~$350
Tuning $450

I consider those the bare essentials, but with the factory shortblock I'm going to keep it under 500rwhp. Even then, the shortblock is still at risk, as well as the rear-end (most of the drivetrain at this point, really). Oh, and I already have a Spec Stage 3+ clutch & flywheel setup that cost me $800.

So that's just over 7 grand for a setup that is still within reach of an H/C/B setup costing half as much. Once I get a forged shortblock in place though, I'm easily in the high 500rwhp range. I still need a new rear-end. The rear suspension will need a full upgrade to handle that kind of power. New driveshaft. Tranny will be questionable. Wheels/tires with enough traction to handle that kind of power. Roll cage if you want to be able to run at the track.

Really, there's no point in going turbo unless you're looking for serious horsepower, and serious horsepower will ALWAYS be expensive. My project is going to happen in stages over the next couple years to help mitigate the costs, but if some of the major drivetrain components fail on me before I'm ready to replace them, I'm going to have to either sideline the car for a while, or dip into my savings to keep it on the road.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
STP
Staging Lane

Ive got 2000 in each of my turbos please post your list so we can see how your doing it, so we can all do the same if the mustang guys can build a turbo car and have over 500 horse and hold together we might buy mustangs. for f bodys with over 500 horse you will eventually need a rear end and that alone is more than 2000. So 2 million is alittle high but it seems that much .
Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

It depends how much power you want to make you can turbo a car thats only gunna make 300hp pretty cheap but since are cars make that stock its gunna cost you a little but to make over 500 hp its gunna cost more than 2k if you dont want 500 hp wtf are you buying a turbo for ***** and gigles.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, i have close to $2,000 for just my turbo, WG, and BOV alone.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Building a turbo kit for 2k is very very easy is you are frugal and have the tools and skills to fabricate and install the parts required already. Mods to keep the car reliable beyond the turbo kit cost more.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

honestly, you CAN, if you wanted to... but will you want to have the finished produced just becuase you went "budget"?

Funny, when i got into this, my intentions where to drop the pistons, add the turbo kit, make some arrangements for tunning and have fun. No way did it really sink in until you start really looking at all the OTHER variables that need to be addressed as well or unless all you want is to have a pile of parts after you blow everything up.

again, i can see how you can build it with a budget in mind, 2k is way to low... not calling ya out but i wanta see this... and be honest, we can all claim prices. Also, again, do you really want to spend that cash and have your **** taken out on the track by a silly rice rocket on juice? If you want a budget, go noZZ, turbo is more money but the returns are propertional.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obZidian
honestly, you CAN, if you wanted to... but will you want to have the finished produced just becuase you went "budget"?

Funny, when i got into this, my intentions where to drop the pistons, add the turbo kit, make some arrangements for tunning and have fun. No way did it really sink in until you start really looking at all the OTHER variables that need to be addressed as well or unless all you want is to have a pile of parts after you blow everything up.

again, i can see how you can build it with a budget in mind, 2k is way to low... not calling ya out but i wanta see this... and be honest, we can all claim prices. Also, again, do you really want to spend that cash and have your **** taken out on the track by a silly rice rocket on juice? If you want a budget, go noZZ, turbo is more money but the returns are propertional.

I kind of agree with you here. My old Lt1 kit ran an 11.8 @ 128 on a 2.3 60' and I had about 2k (mostly turbo related) in total mods in the car at the time. i've got more than that in the rearend this time . I had a blast with that car but I feel much more comfortable and think I'll have more fun with this one just because I'm not worried about smoking a clutch, popping a rearend, ect.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

LS turbo > mustang turbo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how cheap have you turboed something????