Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

any one here not use there IAC motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any one here not use there IAC motor?

just curious because mine has been welded up and smoothed down.... now the car will idle at 700rpms and not miss a beat.... much easier than all that other stuff i had to mess with....

this is a race car /street car but i cant find a down side to it yet :shrug: its made my street driving in my blown rig much better
Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IAC would be much more functional if it wasn't so slow. I try to focus on keeping the idle steady with spark timing and spark correction because it's so much faster anyway as a rule. I recently did some touch up idle tuning after a friend swapped to a ported throttle body (most of it was just getting the set screw in the right place and resetting the TPS) and found moving the IAC to the point where it was just fully closed when the car was warm and holding the idle down with just a touch of spark correction gave a very solid idle. I have since observed the car in a range of cold and warm-start to warm up conditions and it's been working ok so far. When the heat of summer gets here it may have to change; we'll see. It can still open when needed though.

This may get more attention in the PCM/tuning section.

Last edited by Frost; 03-01-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will miss it when you do a burnout and shut off the throttle fast. The IAC opens a fair amount when at part throttle and when you come out of the water and slam the throttle shut the car may die without it.

Its also nice to have for a faster idle when cold, otherwise when the car gets hot the idle speed will creep up..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 PM
FormerVendor

I don't run one on my car. With my cam being so large, Kurt had told me the iac may get confused. I've had no problems so far with the car ever shuting off after burnouts or anything.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If you have a huge cam idling at 1500rpm it probably isnt a problem. But I have a nice 750rpm idle and it wouldnt work with no IAC - tried it
Old 03-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

I am running no IAC in my car. Idle set at 950. Never a problem getting out of the burnout box with the car. Just when it's bone cold you will have to help it for about 30 seconds.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
I am running no IAC in my car. Idle set at 950. Never a problem getting out of the burnout box with the car. Just when it's bone cold you will have to help it for about 30 seconds.
Either way, like I said I've tried it and it doesnt work for me but thats not saying it wont work for someone else Blower cars have a big surge when you dump the throttle and all kinda of weird things happen. I got rid of the IAC because I was getting a lot of surging at idle in SD and couldnt get rid of it. It ran perfect until I went to the track and the car would die getting off the throttle untiill i cranked up the idle to 1100 rpm.

Since it seems to help me more then hurt me I leave it..

Quick Reply: any one here not use there IAC motor?