Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Throttle feel from turbo guys...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Throttle feel from turbo guys...?

I drove a turbo Ls1 T/A and it has plenty of power, but I drove it for a few blocks, seemed the throttle reponse (not boost reponse) was not a crisp as my N/A car.
How do you guys feel about it?
Do you get used to it?
Or nothing you even worry about?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what TB size?

Originally Posted by maxgee
I drove a turbo Ls1 T/A and it has plenty of power, but I drove it for a few blocks, seemed the throttle reponse (not boost reponse) was not a crisp as my N/A car.
Do you get used to it?
What was the TB size??? 78mm,80mm,90mm? From what ive heard, the bigger the less responsive?Just what ive heard?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 78 tb on a Fast intake. I know he has a cam that he originally bought for NOS set up, but he ended up doing a turbo set up.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that there is allot more to it than T/B size as I will be running a 90mm and don't think it won't be non responsive myself once dialed in. The bigger T/B isn't needed in allot of case's with FI but doesn't mean in won't be less responsive with a bigger one. Less restriction = less boost pressure = more power!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Compression, TUNE and cam will all play a roll in responsiveness
Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, low CR and/or low ignition advance #'s in non-boost mode can make a car feel soggy.

Jim
Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

it seem's like the built N/A guys have a better throttle response then the F/I guys...not sure why its like this but I have noticed this ever since my car has been turbo'ed...but my car is a 3.8 but same general idea.....whenever I run a N/A car, they always get a quick pull on me then I quickly make up the ground....my car doesnt have any lag either so im not sure why its always like this....also, I have a A4...the M6 is obv. gonna be much more responsive unless the auto has a stall....also depends on the gear's etc....alot comes into play.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that's how my TT T/A was. There's a clear and present trade off with turbo size. Either you get the small turbo with instant seamless spool/throttle response but no top end, you get the medium turbo where lag is noticable with decent top end (mainly mid range), or you get the big turbo with big lag huge top end. That's something I didn't like about my turbo experience. This time I'm going to try a big procharger.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

What lag, we aren't imports, HAHAHAHA Been there done that
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The throttle response on my old CAS TT setup was soft. Definately not like my H/C setup which was very snappy. Thats one thing I hate with turbos.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

An engine built and tuned for F/I is always going to have a different feel to it than an engine built for N/A. Reason being that the F/I application is tuned for boost, so when you're not in boost, you have to sacrifice some driveability and throttle response due to the lower CR's, less timing, more restrictive exhaust (turbo) or more restrictive intake (S/C).

I drove my 3.8 S/C without the belt because the supercharger was low on oil once, and it was a complete dog in terms of power and throttle response.

If you think an LS1 F-bodt tuned for F/I has less than stellar throttle response and off-boost driveability, try driving a 4 cylinder turbo import like a WRX or Evo. Now those are gutless engines.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
it seem's like the built N/A guys have a better throttle response then the F/I guys...not sure why its like this but I have noticed this ever since my car has been turbo'ed...
My Mustang has a Vortec on it and it's pretty damn responsive. Definitely more responsive than the GN.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maxgee
Do you get used to it?
Its because it has a turbo, nothing more to it than that. Most will not care about throttle response under 2800 rpm because like someone said you will lose some response just because its a different combo. Most in the forced induction section will GLADLY trade off super low response for insane mid-range/top-end performance, theres always some kind of trade off in life. Either way, i dont think anybody will be racing anybody else under 3000rpm, and if you are, you are probably going to be at a major disadvantage until you rev up and get some boost created
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myfast70
My Mustang has a Vortec on it and it's pretty damn responsive. Definitely more responsive than the GN.
Thats because a super charger is NOTHING like a turbocharger. Supercharged setups will always have more throttle response than a similar turbo setup. BUT the turbo setup will generally make more power oevrall. Trade off throttle response for more power, hmmm for some its just preference i guess too. If you've always liked ford your whole life, you will never buy a chevy no matter what. Nitrous guys usually never go to boost because thats all they know and love
Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fenix999
Thats because a super charger is NOTHING like a turbocharger. Supercharged setups will always have more throttle response than a similar turbo setup. BUT the turbo setup will generally make more power oevrall. Trade off throttle response for more power, hmmm for some its just preference i guess too. If you've always liked ford your whole life, you will never buy a chevy no matter what. Nitrous guys usually never go to boost because thats all they know and love
Your biased
Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All turbos will have a bit of lag which you can help out by banging a downshift in your m6 car ,autos with upgraded stalls do pretty good too.
As said you are usually cutting compression ratio and running less timing,richer afr. So off boost these things can hurt a bit. But as also said you sacrifice a bit to get the massive area under the curves that turbo systems are capable of. But supers and NA builds can give quicker response for sure. Just have to pick your power adder. None of them are perfect.
Nitrous ,especially small shots can also be used with super or turbo to good effect.

The main thing is to mod the car properly depending on if its a street car or strip or combo. A strip car can have a massive slow to spool turbo , a street car should have a quicker spooling smaller turbo so you get more useable power band. A power band from 5000 to 7000 is not as good on the street as a power band from 3000 to 6500.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is not just turbo cars that loose low end power either. When I was cam only, the car felt more sluggish down low and on part throttle. I was also using a pretty free flowing exhaust. Even though I picked up a lot of peak power/mid range power, down low it felt sluggish. This was also through a stalled auto...

Was this trans am you drove a m6 or an auto? If auto was it stalled? What was the CR? There are a lot of different stuff that can make a modded car feel sluggish. Your fquick page shows that you are fairly stock. IMO, It is not really good to compare your car to this guys car

My turbo seems to have a fairly small AR (street setup), and spool time is very short. You do not even notice it. I am still on a stalled auto, so part throttle is a bit sluggish (compared to stock). My CR is around stock, so it is not bad at all. However, during my own situation, my car gained throttle response, and gained more part throttle power. It was not a lot, but it was enough to notice.

So, to answer your question... It is all in the setup.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the responses, I know there are always a trade off when you mod a car. The gains in power out weigh the throttle response. My previous turbo cars had lag and low throttle response, my LT1, LS1 and Vortech Tahoe all where NA and throttle reponse where what I love about them.
The turbo car I drove is a M6 and so is mine. So yes I was comparing it and I realized I was comparing apples to oranges.
The car I drove belongs to FENIX999 who replied in post 13 and 14.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barnat
What was the TB size??? 78mm,80mm,90mm? From what ive heard, the bigger the less responsive?Just what ive heard?

You're backwards. The bigger the TB, the MORE responsive it will be.

Marty
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
You're backwards. The bigger the TB, the MORE responsive it will be.

Marty
Yup, basically what my mumbo jumbo was trying to say up above. The same as N/A, when you upgrade your T/B there isn't a whole lot in hp increase but the throtle response is allot better. The same would obviously apply to FI.

Quick Reply: Throttle feel from turbo guys...?