Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Problem Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Problem Need Help ASAP

02 Camaro SS M6.STS kit with Intercooler blowing smoke out the exhaust and oil in the exhaust pipe.New turbo,new pump,new check valve,new hobb switch front.Oil coming out of the turbo.Oil in the intake pipe. Checked pressure in the crankcase and it is only 1 lb.Checked PCV valve and was told it is ok.How do you check the STS air pump that is hooked to the PCV system? Checked the oil lines and was told no problem.I am stumped and the installer of the kit says they are stumped.Anybody out there that can tell me how to fix the problem?I need help asap and has anybody had the same problem with the STS kit.I don't know what else to try to troubleshoot the problem and I am at my witts end.Email me at tmister@***.net.Thanks for any help you might be able to give in order for me to solve this headache.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did u put the check valve in backwards? Check and make sure your oilpump is hook up right. Last but not least are u sure there is no motor damage?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance this is a turbo with a thrust bearing that went out? If the thrust bearing goes out, oil can leak in to the compressor and turbine of the turbo.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

If so it will hit the housing and not make anyboost
Old 03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This sounds like the oil return pump is not working right. My pump went out once, and oil was coming out of the tail pipe, and getting into the intake piping too. Make sure that pump is working.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Default STS Problem

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Did u put the check valve in backwards? Check and make sure your oilpump is hook up right. Last but not least are u sure there is no motor damage?
Check valve is in correctly.Took turbo into rebuilder and he says turbo looks alright with no bearing issues seen but he said the drain valve opposite the check valve should be changed to a bigger size.Have you ever heard of changing the drain valve to a bigger size?I told him to go ahead and put a bigger one in.I drove this car for 2 weeks with no problems and then suddenly it has this problem.We are going to put the turbo back in Wed. and if it still has the oil problem then what do I do.The mechanic said he saw no signs of a problem with the motor.Any other suggestions as to diagnosis.Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the connectors on the oil return pump. Since there is a cover over the the connections, one could have come loose, and you wouldn't even see it. That's what happened to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Launching!

My car did the samething.I lowered my oilpump and used a nitros jet to restrict the oil going into the turbo.I talked to Billy at TRT and he gave me the idea.If you run a high volume oilpump the return pump cant keep up.I also hooked my wires together on the hobbs switch up front so the pump runs on high all the time,but my car doesnt get driven much.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have talked to him, and tried to help. The thing that has me a little stumped is that is was fine for 2 weeks and all of the sudden, it changed.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Only time I've heard of this problem is when the oil pump is wired backwards. So, you're pumping oil into the turbo from the oil filter spot and then your pump is not sucking oil out, it's also dumping oil in.
It can be easy to miss and I think STS even warns you of this in the manual.

Quick Reply: STS Problem Need Help ASAP