Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Magnuson supercharger throwing the belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Magnuson supercharger throwing the belt

Hey all, I am new to this world of fun and just purchased my first LSx powered car, a 2002 Z06. It came with a 21stcentury Muscle cars ( Lingenfelter ) installed magnuson supercharger system. I bought it 300 miles away from my home and 100 miles in to my drive home, it puked the belt. It moved it back toward the motor and shredded 1 of the ribs off lengthwise. I replaced the belt with a new Gates D060158 and it did it 2 more times in 2 days. I can't tell what is causing it. I put a straight edge along the pulleys and followed the belt, I removed the belt and made sure that there isn't any play in the pulleys and I checked for any wobble while running the engine. I can't find squat for a problem. There is only a little eccentricity in the crank pulley maybe .055". It only pukes the belt when I romp on it. It won't do it if I merely rev the engine. It seems to be a combination of being under load and high rpm. I am thinking that the tensioner may be twisting under the load. I just bought this wonderful car and I can't have any fun. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Do the obvious - call Lingenfelter. They should be able to diagnose the problem and the fix over the phone. Got a digital camera? Take some pics and email them if that will help them.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to own one and had an issue right after install.
it was a 2000 c5, which in factory trim didnt come with a clutched alternator. it would slip off during hard decel.
after installing a newer style alt all was good.

then,
when i sold it the guy that bought it had an issue again. it ended up being the magnuson tensioner. its really common.
what many do is make a small bracket and mount it to the head and the tensioner. works great.
ask the same question on corvetteforum and many threads with pics will pop up.

good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Is your blower intercooled?
MIKE

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Hey all, I am new to this world of fun and just purchased my first LSx powered car, a 2002 Z06. It came with a 21stcentury Muscle cars ( Lingenfelter ) installed magnuson supercharger system. I bought it 300 miles away from my home and 100 miles in to my drive home, it puked the belt. It moved it back toward the motor and shredded 1 of the ribs off lengthwise. I replaced the belt with a new Gates D060158 and it did it 2 more times in 2 days. I can't tell what is causing it. I put a straight edge along the pulleys and followed the belt, I removed the belt and made sure that there isn't any play in the pulleys and I checked for any wobble while running the engine. I can't find squat for a problem. There is only a little eccentricity in the crank pulley maybe .055". It only pukes the belt when I romp on it. It won't do it if I merely rev the engine. It seems to be a combination of being under load and high rpm. I am thinking that the tensioner may be twisting under the load. I just bought this wonderful car and I can't have any fun. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response guys. I took the car to 21st century muscle cars in Carrolton Tx ( the Lingenfelter satellite shop ) John Page was really cool. He told me that Magnuson came up with a fix for the problem last December. Like some of you mentioned, The fix is a bracket that will brace the tensioner to the cylinder head. They also gave me a shorter belt. I had a 61058 and that is ok for the bigger pulleys, but on my 3.1 pulley, they recommend a 61045 and the Dayco gatorback. The other fix if this doesn't work is an aftermarket blower pulley that has higher edges and relief holes drilled in to prevent air from being trapped under the belt I guess. I will do that if this belt pukes again. I also spoke with Magnuson and they told me that they would send the bracket to me for free if 21st century muscle cars did not have it. They also checked the fuel on the dyno. I was feeling good to see it put down 518.9 rwhp. John charged me an incredibly fair price for the 2 1/2 hours work they did on the car. I just hope I can finally enjoy my new toy. One of you asked if it is intercooled. Yes, it is. Thanks again for all of your help everyone!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

kewl.
john and the boys are top notch.
they did 99% of the work on my ride including the maggy.

Quick Reply: Magnuson supercharger throwing the belt