Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Quieter Procharger??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quieter Procharger??

My H/C upgrade left something to be desired, so I have contacted Bob at EPP for a Procharger install. Goal is 500 RWHP. He feels this is a safe streetable number for a stock bottom end. I really want to keep the car quiet(still has stock exhaust). I'm old. What can I say? Flame me if you must.

Anyway I know the Vortech S/C stuff is quieter than Procharger, but I don't really like the Vortech blower placement or the air/water intercooler.

My question: I must decide between the D1 & P1. Bob says both blowers will make the number easily and he feels I may as well go D1 as it is only a few hundred more.

I personally heard a P1 on a brand new Vette(automatic car) out at ASSC that they just finished up. I could hear the rattle from under the hood, but not from inside the car. I could hear the whistle everywhere, but it wasn't too bad.

I have never heard a D1 in person. Is the D1 louder than the P1?

Do you guys know any tricks for quieting them down? I have heard more bends in the inlet tube quiets down the whistle. Will the SDCE bracket help? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want something quiet then I'm afraid you're heading the wrong way. A friend of mine has a D1 set-up on his 2000 SS with stock bottom-end, ARE heads, cam, SLP full-length headers, cat-back exhaust,...and so on. I personally think that the whinning and rattling is freaking annoying, the exhaust is even louder. runs great tho, but it's not for me, i'm just like you... I'm old , I prefer something stealthy and quiet that's why i went with a twin turbo set-up on my 01 SS. -that's just my .02 cents!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

gas is silent but deadly
Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Default Quietness

I know what you mean about the turbo. I have a Buick GN and a 69 GTO I turboed a million years ago. I can have fun with them and no one notices.

STS seems to be the only affordable low boost turbo setup, but the ground clearance issues, the oil pump, the appearance of the back of the car, etc keep me from going with it.

The rattle I heard on the Vette with the P1 was really not that bad, tho the whistle was kinda loud. My understanding is the whistle is compressor noise. Hence my question about whether the P1(smaller compressor) was quieter than the D1.

Maybe intake ducting is the answer. I have a larger than stock TE44 turbo on my Buick. There is a lot of ducting and a MAF between the turbo and the K&N. I spin the pee out that thing(25psi on alky) and I never hear anything while it's cranked up.

When I get out of it there is a huge noise as the boost forces it's way back thru the turbo. I asked Limit Engineering who did the turbo if that was hurting the turbo and if I needed a BOV and they said "don't worry about it".

I told Bob at EPP to build me the quietest Procharger car he's ever built. Not their usual request I'm sure, but they seem plenty capable. We'll see what they come up with.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

What rattle do you guys speak of? I've got a heads/cammed d1 02 ta. I don't hear a rattle and even then the whistle isn't that loud, (too me).? What is certainly loud is the ati race ready by-pass valve. It just screams when not in boost but I enjoy the noise. The car made 612 at the wheel with 8lbs in 72deg. temp. at sea level. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

How about this as an option - adapt the Vortech V-2 SQ (quieter helical-cut gears) T-trim to the right size A2A IC. Get the very low noise and the charge cooling you want. IC setups for the '02's are easy to get.

My V-2 SQ S-trim whines a little when first cold in the morning for a couple minutes, and after that only noticeable deccelerating with the throttle completely shut - then it whistles a bit until idle. Not like the 'gear drive' sound of some blowers all the time.

Jim
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys.

Hate to admit it, but I don't know much about blowers and have never ridden in a blown car. My understanding was that the FBody Procharger kit dumps the bypass valve output back into the inlet track and is not very loud as opposed to the Corvette that dumps it overboard.

How much of the whistle is the bypass valve? To me the whistle is worse than the gear rattle. I could only hear the gears rattling on that Vette with the hood up. I can live with that.

Red WS6, are you running a different bypass valve than the one that comes with the Procharger kits? Do the D1 and P1 use different valves? Which is the quietest?

Just a thought, but if the noise is the bypass valve, why not dump it overboard into some kind of muffler? I do that with the wastegate on my '69 GTO. The car is making big power and dead quiet until that wastegate opens, then all hell breaks loose. I teed it into a couple 8HP lawnmower mufflers and you don't hear anything.

DeltaT, I don't know about a custom A2A with a Vortech. You're probably thinking about a FMIC. I haven't been able to use the A/C on my GN since I went front mount. The split coolers on the ATI kit seemed like a good way to keep the engine cool and still make some HP.

Health issues are keeping me from doing much of my own work these days. EPP is relatively close, easy to deal with, highly skilled and ATI is their strong suit. I suppose they could do a Vortech head unit with ATI coolers. Kinda the hard way. Would be nice if we could just knock the noise down a notch on the Procharger.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=TurboGTO]STS seems to be the only affordable low boost turbo setup, but the ground clearance issues, the oil pump, the appearance of the back of the car, etc keep me from going with it.QUOTE]

thing is too far up for anything to hit it. my axle would have to scrape WAY before the turbo would. i did mine right tho. custom i pipe $40 and re-clocked the turbo to fit snuggly
Old 03-09-2007, 04:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/movies/ctsv3.mpg
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/movies/ctsv4.mpg
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/movies/ctsv5.mpg

Check out the links above, to a Caddy CTS-V, with it's LS6 engine and an ATI ProCharger D-1SC that we installed. I don't consider it to be loud, even with the hood up and running on my dyno. Bob
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

my buddy is running a Golen 383 with a D1 at 12psi in his 25th Anniv. and it is pretty damn loud. i've raced against a LS1 with a Vortech, it was quieter, but again, i dont care for the intercooler.

but the D1 is LOUD!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2468379
Old 03-09-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGTO
My H/C upgrade left something to be desired, so I have contacted Bob at EPP for a Procharger install. Goal is 500 RWHP. He feels this is a safe streetable number for a stock bottom end. I really want to keep the car quiet(still has stock exhaust). I'm old. What can I say? Flame me if you must.

Anyway I know the Vortech S/C stuff is quieter than Procharger, but I don't really like the Vortech blower placement or the air/water intercooler.

My question: I must decide between the D1 & P1. Bob says both blowers will make the number easily and he feels I may as well go D1 as it is only a few hundred more.

I personally heard a P1 on a brand new Vette(automatic car) out at ASSC that they just finished up. I could hear the rattle from under the hood, but not from inside the car. I could hear the whistle everywhere, but it wasn't too bad.

I have never heard a D1 in person. Is the D1 louder than the P1?

Do you guys know any tricks for quieting them down? I have heard more bends in the inlet tube quiets down the whistle. Will the SDCE bracket help? Any ideas?

Thanks!
have a look at what these guys could do for you! i think thye look greaTT!

http://www.nonsponsor,com

thanks Chris.

Last edited by kp; 03-09-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I understand what you mean. I can hear 100% of the superchargers, which is why I went STS. However, I was disappointed with the lack of a muffler and the loud oil pump. Best of luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:20 AM
9 Second Club

At 70 on the interstate you cant hear my F1C

Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the stock bpv is routed back into the inlet hat the Procharger is not that loud. However, when dumping air through the Mondo bpv to the atmosphere you become
a loud leaking air compresor/street sweeper [big clouds of dust when you park].
Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the D1sc Pro-Charger and you will never be sorry.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My cousin has a P1SC and can hear it real good at idle but when the car is driving, even at 15,20 mph you cant here a thing at all. You would never know that the car had a supercharger. I have no idea what the D1SC sounds like at idle or driving, probably not to different though!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:46 PM
kp
8 Second Club

A while back you could call ATI and request a 'queit' P1 or D1SC, they just make on that is more tightly clearenced and it makes a good sized difference. Most people dont care about the noise and actually want a noisier one - just like buying a gear drive, they have regular and extra noisy.

The SDCE will stop some of the rattle at idle but it wont stop the 'whine' and a lot of that depends on what pulleys are being used. Personally the rattle never bothered me and even with a stock cam and quiet catback most people wont even notice it unless you open the hood, the P1 on my old camaro was pretty quiet but you still knew it was there, but I have heard some that were a lot louder.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by AeroKing
my buddy is running a Golen 383 with a D1 at 12psi in his 25th Anniv. and it is pretty damn loud. i've raced against a LS1 with a Vortech, it was quieter, but again, i dont care for the intercooler.

but the D1 is LOUD!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2468379
D1 or D1SC? Standard D1s are pretty loud from what I have heard.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

TurboGTO, the kit came with a standard bypass valve but I read that it was quiet and was solid to xx psi of boost.? I knew Id opt for more boost later so I opted for the ATI race ready valve. I hear its much like the mondo that urban speaks of... it may even be a little louder, but he is right about venting it to the atmosphere, it makes alot of racket. I like to let people know I'm comming. Thugs on their bicycles in the middle of the street will part like the red sea. Once, a grown man litteraly jumped back. I wasen't even getting on it.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Teching In

KP, you are absolutely right. I don't think I will ever master all the acronyms out here. I thought people were using D1 & D1SC to refer to the same blower.

ATI does make a D1 and a D1SC and both are still available. The D1 is an old design, oils via the motor and according to ATI is considerable louder than the D1SC which has self contained oiling(hence the SC). I think this explains why some people are saying the D1 is really loud. My fault.

Gears aside, I think the main reason the Vortech is so quiet is that it uses the stock GM air filter box, which was undoubtedly designed to be extra quiet.

Quick Reply: Quieter Procharger??