Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo cars in rain....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Turbo cars in rain....

Well my car is about ready for the street and the weather is starting to get nice. I wil ldrive this cars on nice days, summer only obviously, but what happens if i do happen to get caught in the rain as im sure it will happen sometime... What do i have to look out for? I have filters off each of my turbos compressor wheels, is that the only spot i need to make sure keeps dry? Do i have to worry about just some wet roads throwing water up and hydrolocking my motor or should that not be a problem? Only deep puddles? Little unsure here as to what should be okay and when should i worry. How easily can water get through my filters and do you guys shield them or what? Just want a reliable car that i dont have to worry about everything, haha. Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im curious about the same i have a rear mount turbo with filter in rear.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No turbo but they same principal... I've got a D1sc and it will suck up water! No you don't need to be in boost, no you don't need to run into a puddel of water and It dosen't need to be a downpour! I've got caught in the rain a few times and literally had to pour water out of the plenium when I got home. No one ever talks about this.? Now, if there is even a hint of rain on the way, the car stays parked. I hope others chime in. I can't be the only one who has sucked up water before!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I ducted my filter into the little "smuggling" compartment behind the left fog light in my camaro. The filter gets plenty of air, and it doesn't have a direct line of sight to the ground so it can't really suck up water.

My only rain related turbo problem is traction.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

yup.... best idea is place the filters somewhere where water won't get to em....

,y filter is going to be where the battery is once i get the battery relocated...
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok, maybe ill look into getting some more piping to relocate my filters up a bit higher, any suggestions as to some good places would be? Mind you i have to fit 2, lol. Also, is this the only area i have to worry about water getting?

Old 03-10-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I've heard of with the STS is in a severe downpour on the highway driving up a small mountain while following a bunch of semi-trucks. He had to pull over and wait till all the trucks passed then it wasn't a problem.
The shield does help from what I've been told. Water ain't going to hurt it...just don't submurge the thing and you should be fine.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

i had a 95 talon eagle tsi with a 6bolt happened ounce the filter was in the passanger side fender by healights i was driving must of went throgh a puddle it stalled out. tryed to start for like 10 mins. i dont think water got in the actual engine just got the maf wet and couldnt get any readings so it had to dry. btw if any one is looking for turbo parts my car is being parted pm me for me info and parts list
Old 03-10-2007, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Ok, maybe ill look into getting some more piping to relocate my filters up a bit higher, any suggestions as to some good places would be? Mind you i have to fit 2, lol. Also, is this the only area i have to worry about water getting?
well... imma look at ur thread for pics.... i know some places but i dont know what is changed on ur car ya kno.. lol

brb =D haha
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

haha ok, thanks a lot man. The filters are pretty low right now. I don't have a ton of room, but hopefully can find some better spots so i dont have to panic if i get caught in the rain. Appreciate the help!

BTW, going to fire the car up today and let her run up to temp, top off the fluids, should be ready for dyno next week! Ran out of bends for the Y pipe so had to order more, should be here Monday to finish it up!

Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

Well they really dont come out in all that horrible of a spot IF you could get the black plastic **** back on that covers all that area. Know what i mean? That stuff would protect them well enough.... but it dont look like that **** will go back on to easy.. lol

Also... dont forget that you dont have wheels in front of the turbo... so you wont have tires spitting water up at the filters.... 90ing them UP as high as you can where they are at would keep them out of reach I think.... my car is across town so i can't look.

that is the "lazy" ways... and would look fine..

i don;'t know how much tubing you really want to run off the turbos.... other idea is overkill i think, but you would never have to worry... lol...if the battery was relocated you could 90* from where they are at, make a hole so you can run a pipe right through where the battery sat (will have to get a diff overflow tank) and put one filter there and pu the other where the stock filter is on non-ram air cars.... It just would look nutty with two filters just coming up on both sides of the engine bay strait up... but i wouldn't do this.. lol

Last edited by Dragframe; 03-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

lol yea, second sounds a little nuts, haha. But that plastic stuff im going to try to get back on. Definitely will have to trim it up some but hopefully they go back on. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

i wouldn't sweat it toooo much.... no tires in front of the turbo... your not going to bomb through puddles.... and the front of the filters is covered by the bumper.... if it was me.. i would just 90* them up instead of forward and probly put them filter socks on like the sts guys use

if the black plastic goes back on... your golden =)

Quick Reply: Turbo cars in rain....