Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

routing intercooler plumbing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default routing intercooler plumbing...

I'd like to hear some input on intercooler plumbing.

What materials are you guys using to fab up custom plumbing ? Mild steel or aluminum ? It would seem there are pros and cons to both pipe and silicone conenctors. Pipe is strong but retains some heat (some metals more than others), silicone is structurally weaker but flexible and does not retain much heat. Any consideration to heat soak for materials and routing locations ?

It looks like most people with FMICs are coming up through the rad shroud and into the TB (ala Mighty Mouse). Does the plumbing pick up much heat from running in front of the radiator, or do you try to plumb some distance in between them to isolate it somewhat ?

What kind of differences in IAT will good intecooler plumbing make, both at idle (staging lanes) and through a pass at the track ?

I'm kind of asking due to my new setup for the ATI twin intercoolers, polished stainless 3" mandrel bends and fabbed plenum. While it could be iced down (and n2o purged on the intercoolers), it gets hot air blown directly onto the plumbing by the fans at idle and the IATs creep up quickly on a hot day in traffic (hopefully soon in the staging lane).

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 PM

I had polished SS and it went from FM turbo to the pass. side to the FMIC and then from there, up through where the fuse boxes sit (had to take them out of the cradle and spread them apart). theres a big holes under them and then to the TB. Even through my hard runs on 12 psi, my IAT never got much over 10* above ambient.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 PM

I can post pics if it would help..
Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I'd like to see what you did with the fuse boxes. The stock ATI twin intercooler piping goes through that same hole and its a tight fit.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by No Juice
Yes, I'd like to see what you did with the fuse boxes. The stock ATI twin intercooler piping goes through that same hole and its a tight fit.
I unplugged/relocated/re-plugged part of the fuse boxes to make more clearance through that passage. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Here's a pic of my old setup before I replaced the plumbing with stainless. I relocated the piece next to the ABS block, it only has a couple of quick-disconnect wiring plugs and is easily moved. It used to be right over the passage.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

DAMN that's a nice looking engine compartment Country Boy.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM

You should see it now.. lol Theres nothing left A lot of blood sweat and tears in that pic.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bad30th
I unplugged/relocated/re-plugged part of the fuse boxes to make more clearance through that passage. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Here's a pic of my old setup before I replaced the plumbing with stainless. I relocated the piece next to the ABS block, it only has a couple of quick-disconnect wiring plugs and is easily moved. It used to be right over the passage.

Rob (Bad30th)
That is how mine looks too.
I wish there was a way to move the boxes about 2 inches further away from the radiator. There is room to do, might just have to get creative.

On a side note, Rob did you have to trim the lower ducts (the ones below the turn signals) in the bumper cover to fit the intercoolers? If so what did you use? I have the 4.5" intercoolers but I don't think that is the issue?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

bump, looking for Rob.....
Old 03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

im actually taking my stuff off as we speak in order to put it for sale, i can take pictures for you while its off.

I basically did the same thing everyone else did, IC to throttle body pipe is on the drivers side, the turbo discharge goes down the passenger side to the IC
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by No Juice
bump, looking for Rob.....
Oh, sorry.

No, I didn't do any trimming... My driver side turn signal/running lamp does sit a little cockeyed though.

Rob (Bad30th)

Quick Reply: routing intercooler plumbing...