Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Setup Gurus.. I have a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo Setup Gurus.. I have a few questions..

IF.. If you were to build a BUDGET turbo setup how would you go about doing this?? I have access to a lx hatch mustang and I know where a few LS engines are that can be had for cheap. I can get all of the piping, clamps, fittings, silicone couplings, hoses etc from work and might be able to get an intercooler from work as well (I'm a Diesel Parts Salesmen for FleetPride). If I were to build a BUDGET setup in a rustang whats the cheapest/easiest way to get 600rwhp out of it????? I personally don't think it would take much if I do it like this...

5.3 or 5.7 LS Engine w/ Turbo Cam
Carb Intake with Blowthru Carb & MSD Box
70mm or so Master Power Turbo
Factory Manifolds Backwards
Cheap Ebay Air2Air I/C..
Cheap Wastegate, etc etc..

Basically whats the cheapest **** that I could buy and achieve 600rwhp?? Also have another question which could be stupid as all hell, but I'm clueless when it comes to this **** so here goes... If you ran a carb setup could you put a nitrous plate on it and run methanol/alchohol thru the plate successfully??? Anybody tried that?? I know I could just spray it, but just wondered if that would work and if it would be better? We are wanting to slap together a cheap car to play with and run around on the skreet with it.

Last edited by 1QuickT-A; 04-01-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the truck manifold's for sure,and then look around for some good deal's on part's.As far as your carb setup are you still going fuel injected or actually putting a carb on it?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Supplying fuel for 600+ horse power takes you out of "cheap" by itself.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Use the truck manifold's for sure,and then look around for some good deal's on part's.As far as your carb setup are you still going fuel injected or actually putting a carb on it?

Yes it will be carbed more than likely... I think going carbed would be cheaper and easier than having to buy bs3, megasquirt, etc and then having it tuned. I can tune a carb myself and I have no clue how to tune EFI..
Old 04-01-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
Supplying fuel for 600+ horse power takes you out of "cheap" by itself.
A single pump should do it.. I was thinking a Barry Grant 400 should be sufficient, but like I said I'm new to the whole turbo idea. If a BG400 pump can supply enough fuel for a 706ci engine with 3 nitrous systems making around 2000hp then I think it can handle 600-700hp even if it is turbo powah. BG400 pump is only $400 bucks or so if I remember correctly..
Old 04-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Not To Be A D*Ck Brah...
But When You Mod, Race, & Keep Shooting For THe Top, There's No Such Thing As "Budget."
You Either Do It The Right Way....WHICH COSTS MONEY....Or Do It The Way You Can "On A Budget" And End Up Paying More On The Long Run Buying More Parts, Breaking Them, Replacing Them, Or Re-Doing What You Really Wanted....

Don't Re-Invent The Wheel.....Pro's Are Out There For Your Informed Decision To Make. HELL I Wouldn't Even Listen To The Social Norm On Here Either!
Taylor The Car Build To What You Are Ultimately Going To Do...Saves Time & Money.

Lord Knows I've Spent 1000.00's Of Damn Dollars! lol
Hope I Helped
Old 04-01-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CBRRacinBenz
Not To Be A D*Ck Brah...
But When You Mod, Race, & Keep Shooting For THe Top, There's No Such Thing As "Budget."
You Either Do It The Right Way....WHICH COSTS MONEY....Or Do It The Way You Can "On A Budget" And End Up Paying More On The Long Run Buying More Parts, Breaking Them, Replacing Them, Or Re-Doing What You Really Wanted....

Don't Re-Invent The Wheel.....Pro's Are Out There For Your Informed Decision To Make. HELL I Wouldn't Even Listen To The Social Norm On Here Either!
Taylor The Car Build To What You Are Ultimately Going To Do...Saves Time & Money.

Lord Knows I've Spent 1000.00's Of Damn Dollars! lol
Hope I Helped
First off BRAH... I have a race car and its not the first car I've ever had or built. I wasn't born last night and I know what the **** it takes to build a car successfully. (read my sig)

2nd.. THIS CAR inparticular is going to be nothing but something to screw around with and tinker with. We aren't trying to break any records or to impress anyone but ourselves. IF we go ahead with this little project we are leaving the car in its stock 4cyl form and changing nothing but the powerplant and running gear. It will look like the average (or less than average) piece of **** 89 lx hatch, but it will kick some *** on Saturday night and make some people ..

People slap **** together all the time and end up impressing the hell out of a lot of people. Thats what we are gonna do, but we don't give a **** if anyone likes the car. You can make good power on a small budget if you do it correctly and there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this board that can help with that and thats the people I'm looking for...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uuummmm, as a side point, a 600RWHP stock internal ls1 isnt going to last long
Old 04-01-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
uuummmm, as a side point, a 600RWHP stock internal ls1 isnt going to last long
I know of quite a few making those kind of numbers with heads/cam and nitrous and are holding up fine.. This being a turbo motor it should hold up to 600hp longer than a nitrous fed stock internal engine would. And its not gonna be set on kill all the time so it would only see high boost when needed.

I guess you guys haven't been following PARRISH and his budget build up for the PINKS project he is putting together. 5.3L with 70mm master power turbo, piece of **** car, ebay I/C, home built turbo kit, etc etc..
Old 04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeh, Parish has the right idea. You can pick up a used 5.3 at most yards. Check Car-part.com. 70mm or so turbo(Master Power cheap) or watch for a used 76mm on Ebay.
Ebay intercooler etc.
5.3-$400 with everything, strip the harness down yourself, You will be suprised how many wires are actually left when you get rid of the egr,rear o2s, etc etc.
Nothing wrong with a budget car. I know I dont mind getting my hands dirty when something breaks. Thats part of the fun, going out and flogging the car when you know you only have a few grand in it and did it all yourself. Good luck
Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

You can push the stock stort block to 8 lbs, but any more than that and it usually goes to hell.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
You can push the stock stort block to 8 lbs, but any more than that and it usually goes to hell.
We thought that we might go with some thicker head gaskets to drop the compression down some so we could run more boost...

Quick Reply: Turbo Setup Gurus.. I have a few questions..