Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts turbo vs. headers cams...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts turbo vs. headers cams...

would it be better if i got an sts turbo in a z28 or go the exhaust headers cams... route? they would end up to be about the same price, i think, and i have a feeling the turbo would make better power. which do you think is a wiser choice. thanks
jake
Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j1263b
would it be better if i got an sts turbo in a z28 or go the exhaust headers cams... route? they would end up to be about the same price, i think, and i have a feeling the turbo would make better power. which do you think is a wiser choice. thanks
jake
Hey Buddy. I have the sts system on my z28. It's defently a awesome kit and makes awesome power. As far as the pricing goes. It will add up allot more then you think if you decide to choose the turbo set-up. Because you will need to upgrade allot of stuff, injectors,fuel,etc,etc. But other then that. You will be happy with this kit -but you will spend allot more money then what you think you will if you decide to go with the turbo
Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

You mean HEADS, right? Also, you mean A CAMSHAFT (singular, cam), right? Wait, do you mean exhaust headers? Whatever, forget I asked. We're talking LS1's right?

If you're thinking about heads and cam, there are endless combinations to maximize NA power with different characteristics of powerband, drivability, etc, something that should be carefully researched... Boost is much easier, IMO.

On a stock displacement, there's no way even a highly aggressive NA H/C set-up can make the power that a high, but safe, boost level (~550 rwhp?) achieved with a turbo can on an otherwise completely stock LS1.

NA H/C plus a 100 shot of nitrous, now that's a different story...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

What he said. And like everyone says...if your even considering going FI then just hop into the search function of this site and you will find everything there is to know. You can find the full price of forced induction, what a standard STS kit really puts out and what a comparable heads/cam will not only cost but how itll drive and what it takes to make power. Check out the dyno section for #s.
You need to figure out what your goals are. Daily driver? How much power? Budget?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

another comparison between oranges and apples, you should search around in the FI section to find out about people's set-up's and how they liked the change. i WAS going to go H/C, but AFR wasnt going to ship for like 4 months, so i backed out on that and found me a nice STS kit on ebay. and now im making just over 500rwhp with 5.5 psi. theres still another 2 psi left in her
Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I have always contemplated on a setup like this as well...until more than several experienced ls1 enthusiasts advised me to stay away from purchasing an sts kit. Ultimately the decision is up to you, and not what everyone else thinks; remember that! If you are to go the forced induction route, I would lean more towards a front mount turbo, or a supercharger IMO. Forced induction seems to be "well behaved" when it comes to daily driving, and has plently of power there when you want it.

I have been researching for over a year now on what I want to do, and I am still not totally convinced. I have driven these cars with both superchargers, and turbos (including the sts kit) as well as H/C setups. Just take your time, do the research, and in the end you will be more than happy.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm completely happy with my STS kit. If I had more money to spend, I could have made my car more of a drag setup even with the STS kit...you know, 12 bolt, strong clutch, drag radials, 2-step rev limiter, etc. I kind of ran out of available funds at $5500 or so and I'm "stuck" with a totally pimp daily driver street car. At the track, I sucked, but that's not what I was looking for.

IMO, the STS kit with everything you need to make close to 500rwhp would take a lot less time to install than your typical H/C setup and front mount turbo setups. I'm not sure out superchargers...they "seem" pretty straight-forward but as with any setup, fabrication will be needed and it will take a lot longer and cost more money than you think.

I'm completely satisfied with my purchase considering all the variables. If I had more money, more time, etc, I probably would have gone with a front mount turbo kit that still kept my A/C...b/c most front mount kits do not...keep that in mind

Quick Reply: sts turbo vs. headers cams...