Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please help me choose a heads/cam/intake setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help me choose a heads/cam/intake setup

Well i really want to make a push to get my car done ASAP now that its warming up.

This is what i have so far.

D1SC with 8 rib and thicker intercoolers
370" Iron Speed Inc Shortblock-
Stock crank, Eagle H-Beam L-19 bolts
Diamond -14.9cc pistons, diamond pro select rings
ARP main studs
ATI Balancer
60LB Mototron (sp?) injectors
SLP timing chain and ported oil pump
ARP head studs

This will be a somewhat budget build in the beginning and move up with things like a FMIC, upgraded tensioner system, moving up to F series blower next year. I will be looking to max the D1SC and possibly hit it with a 100 shot once i get used to the car on the blower.

Next on my list of parts is the heads cam and intake. Im having a heck of a time trying to decide between Patriot stage 2's and a LS6 intake, or L92s with a L76 intake. As far as cams ive considered the LPE GT2+3 and the bigger grind by exotic performance. I know theres a big difference between the two and i havnt decided which way i want to go. Im leaning towards max ET's so i will probably want to go with the bigger cam.

This will be going through a braked th400 which i already have, and still havent decided on a converter. Im thinking a stall around 4-4400 though. Rearend will be a 9" or D60, but im leaning towards the 9". I dont mind spinning up to 7000+ rpm as long as i have the proper parts in my valvetrain to do so if i need to spin that high. I have 2 other cars for daily driving. This will see limited street use and be more of a drag car then a driver. I do want to be able to get in it and drive to the track thats an hour or two away if im feeling the urge though.

I think i covered the basics, if anyone has any other Qs or has any suggestions im all ears! Again i want to stay fairly cheap with this part for now as i want to blower to do the work and big $ heads are not an option for me at this time. I want to get well into the 9s with the setup im building. Weight reduction and suspension will follow soon.

THANKYOU LS1TECH!!!!

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 04-07-2007 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get it I would get AFR 225's. Or some LQ9 heads for patriot. The intake I would use would a vic jr but a LS6 will handle it just fine. Head stud wise you can do the 12 point ARP's. Im doing ARP L19 head bolts but they are expensive. They are in the $500 range for the set. GM MLS 6.0l gaskets with a light spray of cooper coat and boost away.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

AFRs are not in my budget for now. Im trying to decide if the LQ9 is the way i should go, or if the newer L92s would be a better choice. I know the exaust flow is down a tad bit, which kinda worries me, but im wondering if the chamber would be more resistant to detonation, or any other reason an L92 may be a better choice. Im figuring its newer technology, there must be some more improvements on it. Bigger intake port would help keep the PSI down and not heat up as much, but id need a big exaust lobe to get the chamber cleared.

I find myself thinking in circles.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I thought you picked all this stuff already, what happened?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

ive got whats on the list, need a heads cam intake, converter and rearend, ive been slacking trying to decide never did get any real info on L92s in a FI application, i was hoping to maybe get some results from some shops on em by now.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 04-07-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:50 AM
7 Second Club

i would run stock heads until you have money for some AFR's, RHS, or TFS heads....
Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm running 16 psi with my D1SC on stock heads/cam with GM multi layer head gaskets, forged Manley Pistons/Rods, Head and Main studs....no problems. she put down 560 at the wheels
Old 04-08-2007, 05:29 AM
TECH Resident

What compression ratio are you running SS01?

Quick Reply: Please help me choose a heads/cam/intake setup