Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
When you guys are cutting the upper radiator support and putting the 1" tubing back in, are you still jacking the front by the core support or are you the lucky ones with lifts? I just pulled my motor the other day and was a little sketched out jacking using the factory support
I wouldn't jack the car up from the core support. I only jack mine up from the kmember, subframe connectors, or rearend center housing.

Check this link:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm
Old 10-03-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Name:  photo3-1.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  photo2-2.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  photo1-1.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  83.6 KB
Old 10-03-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I wouldn't jack the car up from the core support. I only jack mine up from the kmember, subframe connectors, or rearend center housing.

Check this link:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm
I don't ever jack the car by the radiator support. I should have been more clear. I pulled my motor and Trans getting ready for the swap on my turbo build. Once I stand the radiator up and I'm ready to put the motor back under the car, the only place that I can see to lift the car that high is hooking the cherry picker to the radiator support. I know some of you all don't have access to a lift and have to do it this way. Am I thinking correctly?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't hook the cherry picker to the core support to lift the body off of the k-member, I hook it to the front frame horns instead. Seems like it would be stronger to me.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably is.. That's how I pulled mine though. Won't feel as confident once it's been notched.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as lifting the body from radiator support after cutting I don't think it would be a wise idea.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
As far as lifting the body from radiator support after cutting I don't think it would be a wise idea.
That's exactly what I'm saying.. How is everyone lifting it though once your support is notched?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ws6ls1
So standing up the radiator was the easy part, but finding hoses that worked was a another story. For anyone searching, i'm gonna post a few part numbers to help out.

Upper Radiator Hose - Goodyear 62426
Available from Amazon for at 20 bucks, Its the same length as the stock one without the power steering cooler and it worked perfect for my stand up griffin.

Lower Radiator Hose - NBH FM68 16.5in x 1/34in Flex hose
NBH 901 1 3/4 - 1 1/2 Adaptor
Both available from NAPA for 30 bucks.

I know that the flex hose is not the best looking option but it works perfect and is functional, so anyone looking for a budget friendly option this is your best bet. Putting up pics of both hoses.

what part number radiator did you use? GRI-1-25241?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of good info in here.

i pulled this out from one of the pages, so is the censuses that the 25241 struggles to cool but the 55241 can keep up?
1. GRI-1-25241-x, (This is what everyone gets) 27.5"x15.5"x3", core size is 2" with an overall of 3". This uses only a 1" tubing!

2. GRI-1-55241-x, same dimensions all around including core size but uses a 1-1/4" tubing

3. GRI-1-55241-xs, same dimensions as previous but changes to a 2.5" core and overall is 2.5". Also uses a 1-1/4" tubing

Last edited by blkchevyz; 10-31-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, time to resurrect this one again with a question.

I will be running a large BW S400 turbo in my 95 Z28. Doing this vertical radiator mod should allow me enough room to mount the turbo up front. But I have a few concerns.

First, how much room are you guys seeing between engine and radiator? This question was asked here, but no one ever answered it (yes I read the whole thread).

Next, I have the factory washer tank I planned on using for my methanol tank. I saw on pg 22 of this thread of someone keeping the factory washer reservoir, so I know it can be done, however with running that large of a turbo, I think I may run into clearance issues if I wanted to run a puller style radiator fan, forcing me to go pusher style, and if that were the case, I don't know if I would have room any longer to keep the factory windshield washer tank in place.

Can anyone help me out with some info here?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is that Griffin 27x15x3... fit right in the core support. Just cut a hole for the cap
Attached Thumbnails Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here-1111141202.jpg   Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here-1028141048.jpg   Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here-1028141109.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
Mine is that Griffin 27x15x3... fit right in the core support. Just cut a hole for the cap
Okay...

Trying to find some specific info for the questions I posted.

Anyone?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Okay...

You asked what kind of radiator were usin and how it installs, I answered both,

Using a Griffin 27x15x3

Fits perfect in between the top and bottom support, now common sence would tell you that you need different hoses(as stated above,they will be hard to find the exact rite ones)may have to cut some up or look through catalogs at part stores...
Other than that it's same as installing any radiator. ..

If your asking if you'll need to weld or fab anything, than no not unless your cutting extra room for intercooler, or if you don't have a 27x15x3 then you may have too cut some stuff.

Be more specific of what you want, any certain angle of pictures you want me to post of mine? Again it's easy as pie to stand one up, hard Part is finding exact hoses
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Ok just seen your new questions,,, put them in your original post so ppl see them...

My turbo sits 1/2 inch from power steering pulley. . And from the turbo I have about 3 inches, just enough for a puller... but I switched to pushers because I couldn't fit 2 pullers or one thick one...I'll measure between motor/pulleys and rad in morning.

And yes you can keep the tank
Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Ok just seen your new questions,,, put them in your original post so ppl see them...

My turbo sits 1/2 inch from power steering pulley. . And from the turbo I have about 3 inches, just enough for a puller... but I switched to pushers because I couldn't fit 2 pullers or one thick one...I'll measure between motor/pulleys and rad in morning.

And yes you can keep the tank
As much as I do appreciate the info, it's not the info I need, or what I asked for. Unless you are running an S484 turbo the distances will change from turbo to radiator. As I asked in my question above, I need the distance from the front most part of the engine (likely the water pump) to the radiator.

It seems I can definately keep the tank IF I use puller style fans, however I don't see how that will be possible if I use pusher style fans (which I fear I will need because of the size of the S484).
Old 11-29-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
As much as I do appreciate the info, it's not the info I need, or what I asked for. Unless you are running an S484 turbo the distances will change from turbo to radiator. As I asked in my question above, I need the distance from the front most part of the engine (likely the water pump) to the radiator.

It seems I can definately keep the tank IF I use puller style fans, however I don't see how that will be possible if I use pusher style fans (which I fear I will need because of the size of the S484).
Arnt all s400 frames the same size? Either way I could still mesure how much room is from the motor to radiator (btw the water pump pulley is not your main concern) again the power steering pulley is what is closest. And I relocated my alt for extra clearance. And you can still run the tank with a puller fan also(again I had pullers then switched to pushers) both retained the tank...

Now I have a 6.0 ls2 that may be physically bigger but I could still help you get the measurements by mesuring from the firewall forward to see how much further our motor sit apart if any, and than just do basic math to figure out the differences. ..

If your waiting for somebody with the 100% same setup to help you than you may be waiting awhile... why not just make some basic measurements compared to somebody's similar setup?

Yes you can use the tank, pusher or puller,and there are certain fans that will fit as pusher or puller, and I offered to take measurements and pics, you also asked the brand to do it like this, I told you that, you asked what is needed, i told you that,I said you don't need fab work, and you will need to find hoses ... and I've seen you question answered already by others. .. it seems you have cold feet and think there is more to it than there is, just rip you're old **** out and put the new one in, you could have figured this out by now by just doing it. Your over thinking it man, have some confidence... the reason there is no write up on how to do it or what parts exactly you need is because everybody uses different radiators and it is pretty strait forward.

Easiest way to free up space is to take the tank out and run pushers, but it's not hard to pack it all in there if you decide to run pullers, either way you will cool fine with the right fan.

If you decide you want me to measure anything or want pics let me know, I'll be glad to help if I can

Last edited by ws6turbo; 11-29-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Arnt all s400 frames the same size? Either way I could still mesure how much room is from the motor to radiator (btw the water pump pulley is not your main concern) again the power steering pulley is what is closest. And I relocated my alt for extra clearance. And you can still run the tank with a puller fan also(again I had pullers then switched to pushers) both retained the tank...

Now I have a 6.0 ls2 that may be physically bigger but I could still help you get the measurements by mesuring from the firewall forward to see how much further our motor sit apart if any, and than just do basic math to figure out the differences. ..

If your waiting for somebody with the 100% same setup to help you than you may be waiting awhile... why not just make some basic measurements compared to somebody's similar setup?

Yes you can use the tank, pusher or puller,and there are certain fans that will fit as pusher or puller, and I offered to take measurements and pics, you also asked the brand to do it like this, I told you that, you asked what is needed, i told you that,I said you don't need fab work, and you will need to find hoses ... and I've seen you question answered already by others. .. it seems you have cold feet and think there is more to it than there is, just rip you're old **** out and put the new one in, you could have figured this out by now by just doing it. Your over thinking it man, have some confidence... the reason there is no write up on how to do it or what parts exactly you need is because everybody uses different radiators and it is pretty strait forward.

Easiest way to free up space is to take the tank out and run pushers, but it's not hard to pack it all in there if you decide to run pullers, either way you will cool fine with the right fan.

If you decide you want me to measure anything or want pics let me know, I'll be glad to help if I can
I'm not sure on if all S400's are the same size. If you could get me a measurement from the engine to the radiator that would be great. Keep in mind I am not running an LS series engine, but an LT1, so they will not be the same but I am hoping similar enough to make it happen.

I'm not sure where you are getting the other questions from exactly. In this thread I have really only asked 2. The distance between the engine and radiator, and if I could retain my windshield reservoir with pusher style fans.

The reason I have not just "done it", is because I am not that far along in my build yet. I just ordered the turbo 2 days ago and it will take almost a month and some change before I get that, then probably another month before I get my hotside parts. I need to know all this before hand to ensure I have clearances met and I don't have to go changing many things up later.

But for what it's worth, I do really appreciate the info. Please take pics of your setup, I would really like to see it. I really would like to see your pusher style fans fitting with the factory reservoir. This would be awesome if I can use some good pusher style fans and still retain the washer tank!

Also, how much boost are you running? What are your engine temps like with your setup?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
I'm not sure on if all S400's are the same size. If you could get me a measurement from the engine to the radiator that would be great. Keep in mind I am not running an LS series engine, but an LT1, so they will not be the same but I am hoping similar enough to make it happen.

I'm not sure where you are getting the other questions from exactly. In this thread I have really only asked 2. The distance between the engine and radiator, and if I could retain my windshield reservoir with pusher style fans.

The reason I have not just "done it", is because I am not that far along in my build yet. I just ordered the turbo 2 days ago and it will take almost a month and some change before I get that, then probably another month before I get my hotside parts. I need to know all this before hand to ensure I have clearances met and I don't have to go changing many things up later.

But for what it's worth, I do really appreciate the info. Please take pics of your setup, I would really like to see it. I really would like to see your pusher style fans fitting with the factory reservoir. This would be awesome if I can use some good pusher style fans and still retain the washer tank!

Also, how much boost are you running? What are your engine temps like with your setup?
8Psi made 726 on e85,

I was having temp issues running pullers as I couldn't fit them with a shroud, i had a 160° stat in and when I installed the pusher spals It ran below 160 ... so I switched to stock 187 stat and it runs right around 180 190...

When I put in pushers I took out the tank and the ac condenser because I just wanted to tackle the heating problem...now that I have it tackled I will reinstall the tank and ac condenser before spring,

As for measurements we can at least get a good guestiment, and I'm 99.9 % sure all s400 frames are the same(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

So measure from your core support (the edge)to your closest pulley (my turbo is mounted slightly to the driver side so it's closest to the PS pulley)

Then I will measure mine and we can can do some basic math to figure out the space difference in ours and consider that into the extra space you will have... I.e I have 3" between radiator and turbo, now if you have a extra inch between the core support and your closest pulley than I do than you will have 4" where I have 3" (since I'm sure all s400 frames are same)

I posted pics in my first reply... what angles should you like me to take?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so I just measured,

From the rad to the closest pulley is 11.5 in

From the rad to turbo I only have 2"

Now what's your measurement from the core support to the closest pulley(in the area you are going to mount the turbo)?

Sorry about the pics my phone is **** and my ram air box makes it hard to see the turbo
Attached Thumbnails Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here-1129141149.jpg   Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here-1129141150.jpg   Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here-1129141150a.jpg  
Old 11-29-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

8Psi made 726 on e85,

I was having temp issues running pullers as I couldn't fit them with a shroud, i had a 160° stat in and when I installed the pusher spals It ran below 160 ... so I switched to stock 187 stat and it runs right around 180 190...

When I put in pushers I took out the tank and the ac condenser because I just wanted to tackle the heating problem...now that I have it tackled I will reinstall the tank and ac condenser before spring,

As for measurements we can at least get a good guestiment, and I'm 99.9 % sure all s400 frames are the same(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

So measure from your core support (the edge)to your closest pulley (my turbo is mounted slightly to the driver side so it's closest to the PS pulley)

Then I will measure mine and we can can do some basic math to figure out the space difference in ours and consider that into the extra space you will have... I.e I have 3" between radiator and turbo, now if you have a extra inch between the core support and your closest pulley than I do than you will have 4" where I have 3" (since I'm sure all s400 frames are same)

I posted pics in my first reply... what angles should you like me to take?

Above is the exact turbo for measurements sake.

E85 and lower boost will make it run much cooler than 93 octane and almost 3 times as much boost (what I plan on running). That being said, it seems your pusher fans seemed to help you out a lot.

My buddy has my car right now (working on some other maintenance items), so I can't make any measurements until I get the car back (should be a week or less).

Thank you for the measurements and pictures. Its hard to see with the hoses and ram air box in the way, but I would love to see a picture of the turbo and its relation to the radiator.

When you do install the ww tank, I would love to see pictures of that also with your fans.

Speaking of your fans, what exact model do you have? And where did you get them?

Quick Reply: Those who moved radiator up and verticle.... in here