Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intercooler inlet

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default intercooler inlet

I am collecting parts for my buildup and have a question on the inlet piping to the intercooler. Is it important that the inlets to the intercooler be the same length? The intercooler I want to use has both inlets on one side and the outlet on the other. Will there be any downsides to the drivers side turbo having a longer inlet pipe to the intercooler? Thanks for any help, Josh
Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Default inlets

Hopefully someone has some advice on this.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

I wouldn't think so as long as there is not a large difference in lenght.What kind of difference are you looking at?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Default length

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I wouldn't think so as long as there is not a large difference in lenght.What kind of difference are you looking at?
the length of the intercooler, around 27 inches. I wouldnt think either, but want someones professional advice, such as yours, thanks, Josh
Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

I am no professional!! Just my thought's. We just got done with my twin kit and the cold pipe's are not exactly the same lenght,but close so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ull want the coold side (the side for ic to the tb) to be the shorter one if u gotta choose one side the will be shortest

in thoery the shorter the lenght from the ic to the intake the better cuase it gives the air less time and less area to absorb heat from the engine bay (unless the temp in the engine bay is cooler the the air temp in the pipe then u would want the pipe to be long, but this rarely happens lol)
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Default inlet

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I am no professional!! Just my thought's. We just got done with my twin kit and the cold pipe's are not exactly the same lenght,but close so it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the help. I didnt think that making the inlets to the turbo different lengths would be a big deal. Thats what I will probably end up doing. Thanks again, Josh
Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

No downsides to different lengths, unless it's different by feet (because tubing does have a measurable drag per inch), and I suspect yours will be different only by inches. What could make a difference would be lots of tight bends on one side, but the common outlet will blend them anyways so your motor will only see a single column of air. Nice smooth tubing bends on both the inlets and outlets will pay off in increased total airflow.

Jim

Quick Reply: intercooler inlet