Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS and driving in rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS and driving in rain

I have not finished making the shield for the air cleaner, so I just haven't been driving in the rain. However, I got caught in a downpour up here in MA. first thought PANIC! I just kept slow kept RPM down, and after several miles I was surprised, not a sputter. I made it home and parked it no problem....
The next morning no rain and I hop in and start to go, as I start to get on it, I get a sputter, eh just a fluke right??, start to go again.... sputter....this went on for about 3 miles, I just kept getting on it more and more and letting off when it started to sputter. I can only assume that there was water in the intake side and could not get through all the plumbing without a little "push" Anyway all seems fine now. I got the tin and snips and I'm not afraid to use them
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

its usually fine as long as the driver is aware of water in the road and is careful.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems unusual that it did not sputter during the rain, but sputtered the next day. Was this truly residual moisture? Would the revised STS filter w/guard alleviate this problem?
I have never driven in the rain with my system, so I have no experience.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Well I was so nervous in the rain that I keep the RPM at 2000 and under. The next day the roads were dry so I went faster, as the boost gauge reached 0 the sputtering started. after a few miles it was fine. It was running fine before and running fine now, It seems the most obvious problem? I made the shield today so I guess I will see next time I go out in the rain.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

when it rains, i try to not get on it at all. especially the day afterwards because i never know how much water actually got up in there
Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like a pain in the ***.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
sounds like a pain in the ***.
I cannot argue with that, except to say that it is a kick in the *** when you get on it. And I can work on everything in my engine compartment without a problem, which is more than front mounts can say. And STS has an updated filter that (supposedly) cures this issue.
If'n u ain't tried it, don't knock it. JMO.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

As a side note, I used to have a K&N Filtercharger. I drove through a rainstorm, and it stuttered badly. So the STS system is not alone in being water susceptible. Just an FYI.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Launching!

I used to have problems with mine (just filter and pre-charger sock) but the shield solved that. Haven't had any problems since then. You might want to drop the front pipe and pull the MAF out to give it a cleaning just in case. I did that and it solved all my problems after I sucked up some water.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

i don't drive in the rain... and speakin of i gotta get a protector piece made up... hhhhmmm prolly do that the same time i'm doing my other fake tip
Old 04-17-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made a shield for mine and tested it with a garden hose spraying water and seeing if it would get into the mock up piping. It worked but the shield killed ground clearance because it was a cone (and looked horrible).

I'd like to think that the round shield that STS makes (along with the standard STS round KN filter) and a sock would completely solve the water issue. Im also wondering how much more a setup is affected with the filter directly connected to the compressor housing.

For example This:

versus This:

I wonder if tucking the filter higher up into the bumper will really help.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

i used to have my shield installed like in that red camaro pic and then billy at trt turned it around so the slit is kinda at the bottom...no more water problems.

if you leave it without the gap at the bottom water will just pool inside that cone and get sucked into the filter.

and i dont used the "sock"
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Launching!

yeah mounting the filter right off the turbo will definately help. That's how rick at synergy had mine. It's a good sport because you don't get water coming off the tire. I ended up putting the sts elbow in because there wasn't enough support for the turbo, i stripped out one of the bolt holes for the exhaust hanger on the pass. side.

Best bet would be to make a bracket to support the turbo, and put the shield on. During the winter put the shield towards the front, in the summer put it on the back side to help capture more air and make a bit of a high pressure zone to better supply the turbo with air.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HossinatorSS
yeah mounting the filter right off the turbo will definately help. That's how rick at synergy had mine. It's a good sport because you don't get water coming off the tire. I ended up putting the sts elbow in because there wasn't enough support for the turbo, i stripped out one of the bolt holes for the exhaust hanger on the pass. side.

Best bet would be to make a bracket to support the turbo, and put the shield on. During the winter put the shield towards the front, in the summer put it on the back side to help capture more air and make a bit of a high pressure zone to better supply the turbo with air.
I made a bracket to support the turbo, I need to take a pic, but it was just an exhaust hanger that I welded to the bar that goes under the tank and bolted to the turbo itself. No more sag or twisting.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

post up some pics im interested to see it
Old 04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

me too!! more pics!!