Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L92 w/ intake and boosted 6.0-408

Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L92 w/ intake and boosted 6.0-408

hey guys I have been reading a lot about these l92 heads and intake and from what I've read these would seem to be the "cats meow" on a boosted engine. With the flow rates that these heads see at lower lifts and then it flows like a big dog on the top in to .600 lift I think these would absolutely kick a$$. The only draw back is that they don't have the capability to use those extra holes in the lsx and warhawk blocks. Once you get to the point of where the heads start to lift it is in vain though. Am I missing anything on this particular combo. Has anyone tried a FI with these heads and intake? I would appreciate the input on this combo guys or opinions if ya gottem. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, opinions please!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that these heads would have great under the curve numbers and also reduce boost numbers so that at the normal 15+psi that heads normally start to lift they would have much greater numbers...That's just my take on it but I have yet to see real world findings on them yet...I'm contemplating on running some in the near future and would also like to know more...They seem like a real viable option to someone that wants a weekend track car on a budget...
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and they are friggin cheap too. 300 and some change assembled.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's cheaper than some 317 heads unassembled or with stock hardware...
Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember someone running them on here and the heads lifted pretty quick. There is debate over whether they are going to make a good F/I head. Obviously the 6 bolt blocks would help a ton. I believe you can convert them fairly easily by getting them drilled out to accept the other two bolts.

Talk to Kurt at W2W. "427" on ls1tech.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
I remember someone running them on here and the heads lifted pretty quick. There is debate over whether they are going to make a good F/I head. Obviously the 6 bolt blocks would help a ton. I believe you can convert them fairly easily by getting them drilled out to accept the other two bolts.

Talk to Kurt at W2W. "427" on ls1tech.
That was definetly not a cheap process. I saw that thread and he said the reasons he did it was he could do it himself and had a ton of money into the heads already.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That was definetly not a cheap process. I saw that thread and he said the reasons he did it was he could do it himself and had a ton of money into the heads already.
No, the reason it was so expensive to do what he performed was that he added two more stud bosses to an LS1 block. He turned a 4 bolt block into a 6 bolt, and then had to work on the heads to fit 2 more holes.

You can have the heads drilled out and worked to fit a 6 bolt block like the LSX or GMPP for much less than he was doing.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that is some good ideas that w2w had for a "cheap" 6 bolt block out of a ls1 and drilling the heads out. Mabe he can chime in on this and give some insight on this idea. I really haven't heard much on this FI idea on the l92's yet so I am definitely curious about it. SLP is offering a basically turn key combo to fit on the ls2's as well for a good price. Does the amount of boost really have anything to do with the heads lifting or is it the volume of air/fuel that is crammed into the cylinder. That is the way I perceive it because 15-20 psi of boost isn't nothing to 220psi in the cylinder. Boost is a measure of the engines inability to consume the output of a turbo/super right? What is everyone else been using for a FI head besides the 6.0 heads? If these heads will work you can see a lot of flow with a cam below .600 lift. Not to mention the flow capabilities at .300-.500 lift as well. At a stock 72cc chamber these things almost seem like they were meant to be a FI head. I don't recall which issue it was but GM Hightech had a GOOD write up on these heads in comparison to the ls2's a couple issues back. I would really like to hear more input on this and mabe get some concrete facts on this. I know there are a lot of these heads going on stroker motors in the other engine section but I have really yet to see any FI applications as of yet. W2W would you like to step in? I know you guys have done just about everything there is to do to these things and your **** flat out moves too! Thanks for the time guys.

Chris.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
. . . Boost is a measure of the engines inability to consume the output of a turbo/super right? . . .
\

No. It's not just the plenum that gets pressurized when you boost an engine. The cylinder gets positive pressure also. If the cylinder gets pressure, then boost isn't simply a measure of restriction.

Mike
Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I realize that everything from the outlet of the turbo/supercharger is going to see boost right down to the cylinder, but ultimately it isn't the turbo/supercharger that is lifting the heads it is the air/fuel mixture that is crammed into the cylinder that is doing the lifting once the plug fires correct? It all comes down to the size of the explosion in the cylinder once the mix is fired. The compressor might have a hand in the whole deal but it isn't the only influencing factor as to the reason why this happens just because it makes x-amount of boost pressure. 15-20psi is nothing to the engine by itself. For that matter when you change out valve springs with a air fitting in the plug hole you are going to see anywhere from 60-120psi right. If it was ultimately the turbo/super doing the lifting that 60-120psi from a air compressor would blow them right off. (I know that isn't true but I'm just trying to illustrate my point) I'm thinking that if they were indeed put on a FI engine the reason why they might of lifted so early (lower than expected amount of boost pressure) is because they were able to flow enough volume of air to give the cylinder enough air/fuel mixture to overcome the abilities of the head, head bolts/gasket to contain the cylinder pressures once the mixture as been ignited. thanks for the input guys.

Chris.

Last edited by ta02zx10r; 04-28-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else have any input on this combo. I would like to get some real world examples if possible. thanks again guys.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
No, the reason it was so expensive to do what he performed was that he added two more stud bosses to an LS1 block. He turned a 4 bolt block into a 6 bolt, and then had to work on the heads to fit 2 more holes.

You can have the heads drilled out and worked to fit a 6 bolt block like the LSX or GMPP for much less than he was doing.
You are wrong. He was making a set of already modified AFR's fit on a 6 bolt style block. He stated his reasons for doing it.....wanted to be the first making 2000 hp, and he did it because he already had alot of money into those current heads. Also stated in the thread that it would be best for anyone else wanting to do the same to buy a set of heads made for a 6 bolt block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L92 w/ intake and boosted 6.0-408