Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Questions about piping and welding for hot side...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Questions about piping and welding for hot side...

Ok, just looking for some information here, so all help is appreciated. I am aware stainless is the choice of piping for turbo kits... however, will mild or aluminized be fine for hot side if it is coated and wrapped?

Concerning welding.... does stainless HAVE to be tigged or can it be migged? I know Tig is the best but can you do Mig with the right gas and wire, etc?

If someone goes with aluminized steel for hotside, can that be coated?

Thanks a lot!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can mig stainless, its just not as pretty as tigging it. And mild can be just as good as it doesn't expand as much as say 321, i think the next set of hot pipes I make will be 304ss/tig

I'm not sure about aluminized, I would just do plain mild steel and get it all coated. A thermal expansion joint probably wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok so stainless CAN be migged and still work out alright? Just will be more of a pain to weld and not look as pretty? If so, thats all the info i need!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the diy part of my kit is mig stainless with regular wire.... so that means it will only last 20 years instead of 30
Old 05-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned

I regualrly MIG stainless all the time. I use a good stainless wire and Tri mix gas. No its not as pretty, but it is less time consuming. I like to TIG the pieces that will be seen in plian view with the hood up.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

Tig welding with argon plurging is the correct way to weld it. Never have tried mig welding stainless so don't have any tips for you but I will check into it Monday
Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

I was tought to MIG mild steel, Stainless, and aluminum while in trade school for Industrial Maintenance. Two years worth of welding classes and tests. Not real diffrence in the technique just welding speed, heat settings, gas, and wire. It is now where near as good looking as if it were TIG welded. That is why I try to keep all the MIG'ed SS out of sight.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wickedred
I was tought to MIG mild steel, Stainless, and aluminum while in trade school for Industrial Maintenance. Two years worth of welding classes and tests. Not real diffrence in the technique just welding speed, heat settings, gas, and wire. It is now where near as good looking as if it were TIG welded. That is why I try to keep all the MIG'ed SS out of sight.

I've always herd that using a mig on alum. should only be used where the part will not be leaded in any way. I was told mig'ed alum. is not a strong joint. I always tig everything.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

TIG welding controls the heat in the weld better. I usually TIG all my aluminum. MIG welding aluminum is best saved for thicker plates and such. I have built alot of aluminum guides and rails and such MIG welding all the joints. Most of those projects where using 1/4" or larger pieces of aluminum.

Last edited by wickedred; 05-13-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can mig stainless just fine though it's best to use stainless wire and backsheild it. I've always tigged it tho just because I can.

AFA stainless vs mild, aluminized, I've used aluminized with very good success for years. I know of a few that are still on the road 5 years later.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

I had rather 10 to 1 TIG rather than MIG if time is not a factor. It just looks better.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok, well if the main difference with stainless is the looks, then thats all i need to know. Looking to alter my kit a bit so i can utilize gravity feed vs this damn scavenge pump. The entire hot side is tigged stainless ATM, but i don't know how or have access to TIG so if looks is the only difference, i can keep the nice TIG welds that are on it now up higher and alter the kit a bit lower with the MIG so it's not seen. I would like to keep it all stainless so if MIG works, thats what i'll do and it will actually be much easier altering my current pipes rather than making totally new. Just a crazy thought here but i really appreciate the info. I will most likely have all the hotside coated as well if i alter it. Thanks again!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Get some .030 308 stainless wire and run a few practice beads with it. The main difference is that it takes alittle more heat than MS and the puddle cools slightly faster than MS. DO NOT, try and do the "row of dimes" look, you need to run a conistant weave that keeps the heat uniform and moving slowly. Otherwise you have a series of cold tie ins that are very likely to break or pull out of the base metal. If you have a butt to butt connection with no gap you dont need to back purge with mig. Tig you would.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody have a good technique for MIG welding pipe without starting and stopping so much? Trying to turn the pipe with one hand while staying steady at the right angle with the other is a bitch. Straight pipe isn't so bad but when I am handling multiple bends its a bitch and requires alot of cleanup. Has anybody rigged a MIG with a foot pedal and made the torch stationary for welding pipe?

Bill
Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wickedred
I had rather 10 to 1 TIG rather than MIG if time is not a factor. It just looks better.

word.....nothing looks sweeter than a slick tig weld.

Quick Reply: Questions about piping and welding for hot side...