Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Home built D1-SC: part 3 (Dyno)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home built D1-SC: part 3 (Dyno)

Well for those of you that have been following my build, I finally got it to the dyno for tuning on thursday. I didn't have a clue what it would make all I knew was my power level before the supercharger (408rwhp & 370rwtq) and that the d1-sc 4.13 pully for a stock ls1 was good for about 9psi, so I thought. I figured the truck heads would lower the compression and I would see a little less boost. Plus the huge fmic and free flowing exhaust. I was honestly thinking maybe 6psi. Turned out it was making 12psi before 6000rpm. My tuner stopped when it hit 612rwhp @ 5700rpm. It made 554rwtq at around 5000rpm. I think it would have kept shooting up close to 700rwhp. My tuner knew I was on the stock block and stock AUTO tranny so he wanted to make sure I was willing to push it. I'm glad he stopped because it probly would have got up to at least 14psi and I'm not looking to blow my block before I get to play with it a little. So instead I got one size larger pully, 4.25. I just got to swaping them today but it's all done now. I plan to get in there as soon as possible to finish up the tune. With the new pully, I'm going to let him take it up to shift at 6500rpm and have the limiter at around 7000rpm or so. It will still be pushing the stock block. Hopefully if the tune is on and it doesn't boost more than 12psi I can still play with it a little this summer and get some track times. Overall, I'm very happy with this set-up. Just can't wait for it to be done so I can actually feel the power. Before this car the most power I ever felt was a 91 v6 firebird so I guess I made a pretty big jump lol.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
Well for those of you that have been following my build, I finally got it to the dyno for tuning on thursday. I didn't have a clue what it would make all I knew was my power level before the supercharger (408rwhp & 370rwtq) and that the d1-sc 4.13 pully for a stock ls1 was good for about 9psi, so I thought. I figured the truck heads would lower the compression and I would see a little less boost. Plus the huge fmic and free flowing exhaust. I was honestly thinking maybe 6psi. Turned out it was making 12psi before 6000rpm. My tuner stopped when it hit 612rwhp @ 5700rpm. It made 554rwtq at around 5000rpm. I think it would have kept shooting up close to 700rwhp. My tuner knew I was on the stock block and stock AUTO tranny so he wanted to make sure I was willing to push it. I'm glad he stopped because it probly would have got up to at least 14psi and I'm not looking to blow my block before I get to play with it a little. So instead I got one size larger pully, 4.25. I just got to swaping them today but it's all done now. I plan to get in there as soon as possible to finish up the tune. With the new pully, I'm going to let him take it up to shift at 6500rpm and have the limiter at around 7000rpm or so. It will still be pushing the stock block. Hopefully if the tune is on and it doesn't boost more than 12psi I can still play with it a little this summer and get some track times. Overall, I'm very happy with this set-up. Just can't wait for it to be done so I can actually feel the power. Before this car the most power I ever felt was a 91 v6 firebird so I guess I made a pretty big jump lol.
WOW, thats some amazing good numbers. a lot of people now a days are pushing more and more on the stock bottom ends..... i wish i was brave enough to do that

i'd venture to say its gonna be a little different than the V6
Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

your gonna be aching for a forged block soon. Great numbers though.
Did you end up velcro-ing the foglights? From your early pics i thought the lights would fit with your FMIC setup but i guess not?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go to a 4.50 pulley so you can enjoy it for a little while. Bob
Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rufretic
My tuner knew I was on the stock AUTO tranny so he wanted to make sure I was willing to push it.
Not for long. Thats for sure. But you already knew this.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

very nice!!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys, I can't wait to see the final numbers. Thanks for all the warnings too but I thought I made it clear I knew I was making too much power for the stock trans and block to hold. It's a matter of how long I can get it to hold and hopefully just get some track times. Maybe even a record stock 4l60e pass lol, I know they don't normally make it very far. But I'm fully aware that I will have to replace them both.

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
your gonna be aching for a forged block soon. Great numbers though.
Did you end up velcro-ing the foglights? From your early pics i thought the lights would fit with your FMIC setup but i guess not?
Yeah but I didn't think they would hold while driving so I'm still brain storming what to try next. I might just black them out by making some clear black plastic cut-outs? We'll see how creative I feel this weekend.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

it's a little off subject, but did u daily drive your car @ the 400 RWHP mark?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAwhore
it's a little off subject, but did u daily drive your car @ the 400 RWHP mark?

Only for a short period of time. It was ok but I didn't want to put extra miles on it or drive it in the winter so I got myself a beater. Now I only drive the TA about twice a week and store it in the winter.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Sweet! I've got to stop by to see this thing!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChiTownSS
Sweet! I've got to stop by to see this thing!

Ah, you do still venture on here ocasionally. Stop by this weekend and I'll take you for a ride. I only feel comfortable going up to 4-5000rpms until the tune is done but trust me, you can still get a good feel for how powerful it is.

Quick Reply: Home built D1-SC: part 3 (Dyno)