Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS and Puddles

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question STS and Puddles

I'm going to start this with stating the obvious... The damn search doesnt work!

Anywho! I know this is ls1tech but I own a 96 birdie LT1 M6 and have SERIOUSLY been considering an ststurbo for it...but correct me if I'm wrong, that filter is right by the *** end of the car (because it's remotely mounted)...has anyone used these as a regular daily driver? What happens if it rains out...how about a puddle? (im not talking about going mud bogging here)

I'm a STS newbie but I've seen so many folks over here been pretty happy with them but none really touch on the abrupt rain situation.

Thanks so much everyone!

And just to prove that I'm in need of assistance, this is the first of 13 installments...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard horror stories. I have also had 2 friends who had them and now don't. Those were the earlier kits, but still. Now they put a aluminum shield over the air filter. Not sure if this is a real solution or just their attempt at saying they fixed the problem.

Ready to be flammed by STS owners now.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I have heard horror stories. I have also had 2 friends who had them and now don't. Those were the earlier kits, but still. Now they put a aluminum shield over the air filter. Not sure if this is a real solution or just their attempt at saying they fixed the problem.

Ready to be flammed by STS owners now.
Yeah I saw that little shield...That can't do much at all, what the hell happens with you get air sucked in there and it hits the turbine? eeesh I'm squinting in pain
Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would get wet more often back there, but engine bays aren't exactly waterproof.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id like to know as well. A good buddy of mine is considering a STS kit for his DD, and i dont think he's even thought about the rain factor...i better tell him to read this thread once we get some answers.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
It would get wet more often back there, but engine bays aren't exactly waterproof.
Yeah but the parts that arnt, are not sitting 4 inches of the ground.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

x2

i've wondered the same thing....
Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

also, stupid question but what if your doing a nice hole shot...all that nice, thick, rubber smoke...that filter's RIGHT by the back left tire!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They have researched their product enough I am sure. If you are worried about it enough and have the money I would do a single in the front. Seems kinda steep in price if that is the first of 13 installments.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
They have researched their product enough I am sure. If you are worried about it enough and have the money I would do a single in the front. Seems kinda steep in price if that is the first of 13 installments.
Just below $10k...?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

I had one of the first kits out (atleast on this site) when EVERYONE on this board hated them and said they wouldnt go faster then 12's lol. And i have driven it in HEAVY THUNDER STORMS and it was fine. I never had a problem with it rain/water wise. The only problem i had was that your exhaust has to be air tight with no leaks or it wont spool right. It will just get slower and slower as the leak gets worse. I ended up selling it for a frount mounted kit and a 408 setup thats in the works, because i didnt really feel like dealing with it lol. But it was a good kit and i did enjoy it while it lasted. It made 457rwhp at 5.5psi with just longtube headers on a 02 SS. You will have a good time with this kit. It was fun zooming around everywhere giving people the blow-off valve . The only way i would see you having a problem in the rain if you hit some kind of huge puddle/hole and submerged it or partially submerged the filter. Maybe someone else can chime in that can provide you with more information. This is just from my personal experience. I hope it helps and good luck bro
Old 06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Mike from New Era (one of the sponsors) has the STS kit in his Z and he is from Rochester and NY weather isn't always the best. He could tell you more about it. And by the way 10K for that kit is way high, talk to Mike about that too. He sells them for way less.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh I'm just saying im not going to spend $10k for the kit! haha, no no, I have 10k on the way, most of the money will be going into the valve train / drive train and suspension and possibly some nice black chromed c6s...its a toss up between those and some nice 10.5 TT2s The kit I was looking at was about $3.8k, without the fuel system upgrade and obviously I think i'll be down the line of a tune...I'm not looking for something batshit crazy here, just a nice stock "pick me up" with a decent kick in the jones

You guys kick ***, thanks for the replies!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, STS does now use an alum. sheild to keep most of the debris from the LR tire but they also include a filter stock to be used when it is raining. I had the same concerns about the water before purchasing my kit. The sheild does a good job and the sock works great when it's wet out.

A big piece of info. is that you are not suppose to use the pre-filter/sock when under boost. The pre-filter/sock does not flow the same amt. of air that an air filter flows but more close to 1/10th. I did a dyno test myself and so did a few other members and results are that you lose around 20 or so HP up to 38-40 HP.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by phrozen755
... not looking for something batshit crazy here....

that's pretty damn funny....i haven't heard that one before...
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

You'll be fine , the only thing I'd reccomend is don't drive it in the winter .
Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

yea, I mean also if you think about it those cold air intakes that imports use are fine, so its pretty much the same thing except in the back
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
Yes, STS does now use an alum. sheild to keep most of the debris from the LR tire but they also include a filter stock to be used when it is raining. I had the same concerns about the water before purchasing my kit. The sheild does a good job and the sock works great when it's wet out.

A big piece of info. is that you are not suppose to use the pre-filter/sock when under boost. The pre-filter/sock does not flow the same amt. of air that an air filter flows but more close to 1/10th. I did a dyno test myself and so did a few other members and results are that you lose around 20 or so HP up to 38-40 HP.
what if youre boosting in the rain?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The only time I had a problem with the STS air intake was driving to houston when a tropical storm was blowing onshore. I am VERY confident that any CAI less than 2ft off the ground would have had issues. Standing water is a different problem. The STS intake can't bypass physics, if standing water is higher than your air intake it WILL cause a problem. This is no different than any other system. Be realistic about the conditions in which you will drive your ridiculously powered car, and you should be fine.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
Yeah but the parts that arnt, are not sitting 4 inches of the ground.
ill clear this up for you all , first its not 4 inches off the ground try close to 8-9 inches where the filter sits. second the shield keeps the tire from spraying water directly on the filter and sucking into the eng. i live in florida so driving in the rain happens alot. i drive carefully and avoid deep puddles but normal rain driving on roads is not a problem. just dont hit it hard and pull boost going through a puddle so you dont suck water in.