Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech repairs ?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Vortech repairs ?

Ok, once again this damn thing has done the bearings.

I dont believe the belt was that tight, and it has been running the same belt, same tension since October, maybe some 2500-3000 miles or so.

So....I would say it is only the pulley shaft bearings, as whilst it is noisy, it still rotates freely by hand, and feels ok.

So can these bearings be bought for DIY repair ? or are Vortech the only people who can repair ?

Id prefer not to have to ship it back to the US for repairs, as i want it back running ASAP.

And then next query.

Ive tried several times to get someone to make me a strut brace. Initally people respond, then they ignore me.

Why is it so damn difficult to buy some parts from the US ???
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z8 Made the one PSJ was using on his old YSI setup etc... Might try giving them a call.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey StevieTurbo. I have a Vortech F-body system with a bearing problem also. Vortech says $750.00 for bearings and another $250.00 if it needs an impeller. They are out of thier F#%king mind. $250 for an impeller i can understand but another $750 for bearings, a seal and less than an hours worth of labor. Thats bull. I'm trying to source the bearings myself. Having trouble finding the one located right behind the impeller but i have a couple of other places to try. If anyone else has info, please help.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Send me you email, and I'll pass on the info Arun kindly sent me..
or he suggested this place.

http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/listings.htm

Ive only partly stripped mine, but it is onlt the low speed bearings that are damaged.

I see no reason why the high speed side will have suffered, as it doesnt get loaded by the belt.
Also mine will have no impellor damage.

you can see clearly the pitting on the outer race...

compared to the good side ( same outer )

The inner bearing on the slow side might also be bad, but havent got that far yet.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-05-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Do NOT SEND IT TO THE ASSHAT on Ebay or http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/

They are rip off's!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for the tip off !!!

I think I can do it myself though.....seems the bearings arent anything special, so I should be able to get them locally.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JMBLOWNWS6,

Just out of curiousity, why do you say that the supercharger rebuild place is a ripoff?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
JMBLOWNWS6,

Just out of curiousity, why do you say that the supercharger rebuild place is a ripoff?

Thanks,

Jim
If you recall a while back when I got my T trim kit. It came with a busted T trim. The bearings on the unit where bad. The impeller was fine and it needed a bearing replacement. The ABEC rating on these bearings needs to be 7 on the low and 9 on the high. This guy put the wrong bearings in mine. And instead of putting the proper seal on the gear side he put silicone And it gets better. There is also a small o ring type seal around the impller case and he didnt install it. Now what happened. I got the blower back and it looks fine. All put back together and I was happy. Charged me $450.00 for the rebuild. Which I thought WAS a good deal. Well I install the blower and start up the car and trashed the impeller. So I email him and call him numerous times. He replies he was on vacation. No problem. Well I told him I want a refund. He says well send me the blower back so I can fix it. I told him how can you fix the blower when you dont have access to a new impeller. He said Ill refund you for the bearings but not the labor. At this point I was pissed. I told him that wasnt good enuff and wanted all my money back. After a week of no refund I figured I lost out. So I sent my blower to Vortech for a Class 'B' return exchange. Ended up paying about $2400 for the new headunit. Then this guy decides he wants to refund me ONLY for the bearings saying I dont have proof. I told him, Do you want to see the receipt I have from Vortech? I send it and he still keeps the other $200 for labor So I told him a bunch of stuff I woudlnt type on here and went my way. He might have good feedbacks on ebay but he screwed me! And he knows it. I still have all the proof OF PURCHASE FROM VORTECH. He is a con artist if you ask me. And if your front seal goes bad just go to pervous bearing they have them.

Sorry for the rant but you asked

JMG

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 06-05-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Is this a common problem with Vortech units? I am considering purchasing a used Vortech kit and this now has me reconsidering.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

I would say my damage is due to excessive usage....

I am spinning it a bit hard, and perhaps my belt was a little tight...

There is circa 10,000 miles on it since it was last rebuilt, after I did tighten the **** out of the belt lol.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Z8 Made the one PSJ was using on his old YSI setup etc... Might try giving them a call.
I did try last year...

Also tried Bob Kurgan's, even spoke to them on the phone and they said they could do it....

Then that was as far as that got.

I dont know why this kind of thing is so difficult. Maybe they just cant be arsed with international orders ?

Same when I tried to get a driveshaft made recently. emailed, and spoke on the phone about what I wanted, and they ( PST ) said they could build me it no problem.
So I emailed to confirm I was placing the order.....and I never heard from them again.

So I got fed up, and ordered a simple heavy steel shaft locally instead.

It aint easy living a few thousand miles away from the LSx home.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe you could fins a board member who knows a place that would make it for you and paypal them and have them ship it to you? just a idea.

I bought a used S-trim and the guy said it had 1500 or so miles on it. before i lost the motor with a bad fuel pump and plugs car put down 400rwhp at 7psi. how would i know if there was anything wrong with my blower? only thing i noticed was the front seal shows a tiny bit of moisture but no leaks or signs of it leaking and allen bolts are tight.

If i was to remove all the bolts to check my bearing and seals how hard would it be to put the blower back together??

blower always sounded normal and didn't leak. but i blew head gaskets twice and wonder if the anitfreeze hurt the blower at all??
Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry bro-I didn't mean to stear you the wrong way with the superchargerrebuild place-i heard from a another forum member on a mustang board that they where happy with the results and turnaround. It's honestly not that hard to rebuild a blower-just get the best bearings.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94blownz281
Maybe you could fins a board member who knows a place that would make it for you and paypal them and have them ship it to you? just a idea.

I bought a used S-trim and the guy said it had 1500 or so miles on it. before i lost the motor with a bad fuel pump and plugs car put down 400rwhp at 7psi. how would i know if there was anything wrong with my blower? only thing i noticed was the front seal shows a tiny bit of moisture but no leaks or signs of it leaking and allen bolts are tight.

If i was to remove all the bolts to check my bearing and seals how hard would it be to put the blower back together??

blower always sounded normal and didn't leak. but i blew head gaskets twice and wonder if the anitfreeze hurt the blower at all??

If only life was so easy !!!

Antifreeze wouldnt hurt the blower. In a HG situation, its unlikely any water would ever make its way near the blower anyway.

The only thing wrong with mine, is as seen in the photos. The bearing nearest the blower pulley is bad. This has allowed this shaft to move a little, and the oil seal has started leaking.
BUT, the oil seal was partially damaged after a belt throwing incident, that wrapped the belt and some wiring around the shaft, forcing the seal inwards slightly.
That was last July.

Ive got it stripped, and assuming its a case of source bearings, re-fit etc, it looks pretty straight forward. A press is required though to remove and re-fit the bearings.

So its a case of finding the best possible bearing. I have a pair ordered, and are the best I can find at the minute, although I may still be exceeding their speed rating slightly at max rpm. But I am aware I am overspinning the blower....so who cares
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

My strutbrace was basically a combination of Chris and Bob's work, perhaps you can source the end pieces from Chris and then figure out the rod, make it threaded or something. Do you need pics?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 AM
9 Second Club

I have plenty of pics John of your setup, and several Mustang setups, which is how I ended up contacting Bob, so from those, I know pretty much exactly what I need.

But when guys over there obviously make them as a matter of routine so to speak, easiest option is to buy a complete setup. Well, it should be.

If I had machining facilities here myself, I could make one quite easily. But trying to explain it all to a numpty over here....thats another head banging session.

At the minute, getting the bearings installed is my priority. Im sure Ive seen "off the shelf" braces from CAPA in Australia. Again, Ive tried contacting a couple of Aussie guys.....and waiting.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I'm curious to hear how your DIY bearing repair goes, keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm curious to hear how your DIY bearing repair goes, keep us posted.
+1...write-up and sticky is required with pics!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:25 PM
9 Second Club

http://www.iamflip.com/images/supercharger_rebuild

Not mine obviously, and not a V7..but ya get the idea.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
save as...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech repairs ?