Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how to quiet down an sts system

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to quiet down an sts system

I just installed a used sts system, and the exhaust pipe coming off the turbo has been cut down to around 10" give or take. I have a ta, so I want to to mount an exhaust to have tips that fill in the rear valance. I need pics of how people have set this up. I wouldn't mind running a dummy/nonconnected tip on the driver's side, but as it sits right now, the car is too loud and raspy for my tastes. I'm coming from full long tubes, with ory, and a hooker catback (loved the way this sounded ... very little rasp, no drone, very civil when not on the throttle, yet plenty loud at wot). btw, long tubes are still on the car, but the exhaust has been wrapped. I need to know what muffler to install and where to install to quiet it down. when searching, it looks like the borla xr-1 seems like the one that would work the best, however, I've also seen where people say it didn't help much. Maybe a pair would work ... on in the I-pipe, one after the turbo. I don't see a bullet in the i-pipe hurting spool time or anything ... although if the filling material burns out and heads downstream to the turbo, i'm sure it'd cause trouble. Anyway, let me know your suggestions!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll want as little resistance after the turbo as you can. A muffler may not be the best route. I love the way mine sounds and I have an open downpipe. I have no rasp, drone, etc, etc. It's quiet on the highway or while putting around it screams at WOT.

Perhaps a resonator into the downpipe just before you split it to make dual tips. A few guys have done the dual exhaust thing on a TA and it looked good IMO. You'll have to run a search but I think it's in the FI section.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

I fabbed up a dual for mine using 2 dynomax bullets.
Even routed the wastegate into the drivers side muffler.
Works very well for me. Sounds like a mild cat back now with a side dish of whistle
Do a search for the pics.

P.S. as of today the links are broken but it should be fixed later today.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I run DynaTech LT headers on my STS. Have the "Power-Flo" converters installed too (part of the header kit). The high flow converters eliminate rasp. Doesn't hurt the spool time either. Might be an option for you.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

yeah, i'm pretty sure that it's the longtubes that's making things so loud as I've been told that with stock manifolds, the sound is ok. I actually purposefully ran on ory as I was nervous about loosing pieces of cats and having them trash the turbo ... but I suppose they are an option
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

yeah Blackbird, I've done a search and found where you posted pictures, but the links were broken, which is why I asked for pictures.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

for immediate satisfaction find my post and look at the links and substitute https for http. thats the issue, right now the hosting server is configured to force https. it should get fixed today.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

hey blackbird where abouts in san jose are you?? at first i was excited to think i was guuna be the only sts car in san jose...
Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

South San Jose.

Sorry to burst your bubble, had mine about 2 years or so now.

If you need any help with yours or want to see some of the customizations I did for mine just let me know.

I did my install, tuning, and modifications to the stock kit myself (as I have wilth all my mods) with the help of a buddy so I know the system and these cars pretty well.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

I Installed an 11 in. with a 3in inlet / outlet "Blank" (no inlet or outlet tube)cherry bomb into the tail pipe, then welded a chrome tip to it. It looks like the stock exhaust on the WS6 only on the wrong side. It sounded real nice. I removed it and went to a crossover pipe so I have two tailpipes again and got resonator tips....it is much louder now. I am thinking of putting it back in and running the crossover from another spot.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen a couple guys with custom duals on here and they looked really good. On some it did a good job of hiding the turbo, but I wonder how it affects performance.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put a Moroso Spiral Flow right on the V-band discharge of the turbo then the stock (Dyno Max) tail pipe that used to exit the muffler on the pass side. Believe it or not, the car quieted down quite a bit, lost the rasp, and feels much better down low in the rpm's. I may have given some up on the top end but it seems worth it IMO.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 AM
BW
Launching!

put a cat on it, that will make it quiet
Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GhoSStrider
I've seen a couple guys with custom duals on here and they looked really good. On some it did a good job of hiding the turbo, but I wonder how it affects performance.
I went from the single 3" pipe to the dual tailpipe, you cannot tell I have a turbo unless you look under the car, and the car feels the same. There is still a 3" exhaust, we put a hole in the side of the "downpipe" to run the other tailpipe, just puts enough exhaust in there for effect.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys for the advice. It is good to hear that a bullet or a small round muffler wont really effect performance significantly. I definitely want to run dual tips as I think a t/a looks a little funny with 2 spots in the rear valance, but only a single exhaust tip.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

zapp168 do you have any pictures of your setup?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

check out my link in my sig....i can't remember if i have exhaust pics in there or not, if i don't i will post one up tomorrow
Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Karpellarpy
zapp168 do you have any pictures of your setup?
Will take some today and post up
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

I put some pics here of current setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/728968-sts-full-throttle-car-falls-face.html

It was quieter with the 3 in Cherry bomb and one tailpipe than the 2 resonator tips, Next I may use both. Cherry bomb with the resonator tip welded to it, and the crossover with the resonator on it. It is actually quieter now than it was with my Magnaflow muffler before I installed the turbo.

Quick Reply: how to quiet down an sts system