Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overheating from FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Overheating from FI

ive been having a real hard time deciding which route to take on my car, ive been pretty set on the ATI and have been doing a lot of research on it, everything sounds great. One thing that probably people dont have problems with is the weather, here today its already 105+. Is my car gonna run hotter or might overheat because of the supercharger? i dont have room for extra heat you see, or anything like that. if so, would a turbo be any different?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Something i know EPP does with their prochargers after talking with Jake is.... for the guys in hot states, they mod the fan shroud to accept another small 9" fan. With a procharger, you will run a single 16" fan so they add another smaller 9" to it to help, something to consider there. FI in general will generate a lot of heat under the hood, but if your cooling system is up and performing well, the car should still run fine.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i should expect the temp to run higher? i know under the hood, but the engine? cant u turn turbo boost to almost zero? i know it cant be done to superchargers.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cooling issues with the ATI kit have nothing to do with boost or horsepower, its simply an airflow/fan issue.

In 105 degree heat, I would think you would be OK but using the A/C might cause some issues. Lots of procharger guys out there though who have no problem daily driving their cars. I would suggest (as mentioned above) adding the extra 9" Spal puller fan and you might also consider the Becool radiator for some additional insurance.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i guess it would also be better to run the dual intercoolers than the large single one that would cover the radiator too then....how much hp difference would that be?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by kbronSS
so i guess it would also be better to run the dual intercoolers than the large single one that would cover the radiator too then....how much hp difference would that be?
Tough call on an F Body, as the radiator gets most of it's air from below. When you cut out the front for the front mount, more air should be seeing the radiator. We've never had a heat problem with the front mount, but we've never done any type of testing on it regarding engine temp's. Bob
Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so then the FMIC should work better becuase of the cutting?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

That took some cash for me to fix: Fan on the a/c condensor, bypass the radiator tranny cooler and add a cooler with a fan, a 9' fan added to the ATI 16', a Be Cool radiator, SLP fan switch, and I removed the seal from the cowl. Then everything got better. But I live in Texas.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

so then the FMIC should work better becuase of the cutting?
I'd sayat least it isn't going to run any hotter than with the twin hi flow intercoolers. Thanks. Bob
Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A front-mount single turbo is a more difficult cooling problem, as it usually (as in the PTK setup) requires that you switch to a pusher fan configuration. Some guys can get it to work while keeping the AC, but I gave up and ditched my AC... then you can just mount a couple of big pushers right on the radiator. When the pushers were mounted on the AC condenser the car couldn't keep its coolant temps down (in stop-and-go traffic) once the temps outside were 85 or higher. If you want to go blower and keep the AC, think seriously about a proven shrouded setup with the fans.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I'd sayat least it isn't going to run any hotter than with the twin hi flow intercoolers. Thanks. Bob

so for my situation...what do u recommend? the twins or single? i really would prefer NOT to do any of those "mods" ...... i dont have a garage/time or anywhere where i can/could work on my car, and mechanics here aren't that good in making things fit. i rather just have a stock system.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Restricted User

i have a procharger with a front mount and my car runs well even on hot days. but since i got the charger my car runs hot on hot days when i run the ac. it will stay normal for awhile but starts creeping up. ive let it get to about 3\4 then i shut the ac down. i have the single fan that comes with the kit. but my radiator shroud is still cut to fit twins!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Restricted User

so for my situation...what do u recommend? the twins or single? i really would prefer NOT to do any of those "mods" ...... i dont have a garage/time or anywhere where i can/could work on my car, and mechanics here aren't that good in making things fit. i rather just have a stock system.
the best thing for you to do is twins then. they bolt right in with no fab work
Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.sd-concepts.com/cart/inde...84a3a4c82ec613
Old 06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow...those look great. but i thought our cars already came with two fans??? if not, ill pick these up ASAP.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

wow...those look great. but i thought our cars already came with two fans??? if not, ill pick these up ASAP.

your car does already have dual fans.

but on the "standard" procharger setup, you remove the stock fans for clearance, and replace it with a single fan and shroud.

this is a upgrade to the standard procharger setup by adding a second smaller fan high up where it still clears the procharger.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

ive been having a real hard time deciding which route to take on my car, ive been pretty set on the ATI and have been doing a lot of research on it, everything sounds great. One thing that probably people dont have problems with is the weather, here today its already 105+. Is my car gonna run hotter or might overheat because of the supercharger? i dont have room for extra heat you see, or anything like that. if so, would a turbo be any different?
Lol, come talk to me when your running in 120+

Turbos generate more heat then a supercharger...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Lol, come talk to me when your running in 120+

Turbos generate more heat then a supercharger...

turbos generate more? thats good to know.

where are u at? somewhere in between phx and tucson? im 45mins west of YUMA.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

turbos generate more? thats good to know.

where are u at? somewhere in between phx and tucson? im 45mins west of YUMA.
Im in ahwatukee.... Right near the 10/60 near arizona mills mall.

In order for my setup to work properly I had to run an evans coolant pump and evans coolant. It was an extreme case but it has been working pretty well...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the good thing is that my car is not a daily driver, but racing here is done across the border, and sometimes crossing back in a car can take up to 1.5hrs. just stop and go, stop and go, and i mean go 1 car lenght. i dont know if your familiar with crossing the border.

Quick Reply: Overheating from FI