Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

not building boost on a 2-step?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default not building boost on a 2-step?

6 speed car, harlan 2-step

when i am on the line hitting the 2 step (usually set at around 5800 to 6200 rpms) i am not building any boost (or at least not more than 1 lb. anyone know where to start troubleshooting?

i have twin 64mm turbo's, but stock internals and STOCK HEADS. Is it possible that i don't have enough motor to spool them up on the 2 step? or is there anything else that would cause this? The car is at full boost, and comes on hard, by 3300 rpms.

thanks in advance

let me know if you need anymore details
Old 06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

dOU YOU REV THE MOTOR ALL THE WAY TO 58-6200 WHERE THE 2 STEP IS SET????

Set it lower around 3K or so and try that you should start making boost pretty quickley....
Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
dOU YOU REV THE MOTOR ALL THE WAY TO 58-6200 WHERE THE 2 STEP IS SET????

Set it lower around 3K or so and try that you should start making boost pretty quickley....

yes i do. (and yes i know its not smart on stock parts). i will try setting it lower. care to shead some light on why a lower setting will help?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think the higher setting would build more boost faster, but I have never used on before. Just my thoughts. But try it lower and see if it works and post the results.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To build boost on a 2-step quickly (with a stick shift car) you need to be able to retard spark timing to zero or even negative values.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
To build boost on a 2-step quickly (with a stick shift car) you need to be able to retard spark timing to zero or even negative values.
so where would i retard the timing at? when the 2 step hits it cuts all spark so if you would enlighten me a little further please....

when the 2 step is hitting does it hit a different group of cells (low load) then when the car has a big load on it?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

How do you currently have it wired????
Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
How do you currently have it wired????
i plugged the two step into the coilpack harness, then the other side into the coilpacks.then the push toggle to arm/disarm

its working fine, just not building boost
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
so where would i retard the timing at? when the 2 step hits it cuts all spark so if you would enlighten me a little further please....

when the 2 step is hitting does it hit a different group of cells (low load) then when the car has a big load on it?
2-step doesn't cut ALL spark just randomly misfires cylinders (by cutting its spark but not all 8) so you don't accelerate the engine to a higher rpm.

Are you running a speed density tune?

And Jim is right you want to retard the hell out of that thing.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
2-step doesn't cut ALL spark just randomly misfires cylinders (by cutting its spark but not all 8) so you don't accelerate the engine to a higher rpm.

Are you running a speed density tune?

And Jim is right you want to retard the hell out of that thing.
yes i am running a SD tune. so do i need to just look at what cells it is hitting on the chart and pull the timing on those cells. are those cells different than the normal driving cells?

thanks for the help so far
Old 06-15-2007, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running on SD tune right now and I build about 4 p.s.i. at 4500 r.p.m. on a Harlan 2-step. This might be a stupid question but are you flooring it or just putting it far enough to the floor for it to hit the 2-step? If not flooring it it won't build boost you have to lay it on the floor to build boost. Or atleast you do with my set-up.

Jimmy
Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00WHITETA
I am running on SD tune right now and I build about 4 p.s.i. at 4500 r.p.m. on a Harlan 2-step. This might be a stupid question but are you flooring it or just putting it far enough to the floor for it to hit the 2-step? If not flooring it it won't build boost you have to lay it on the floor to build boost. Or atleast you do with my set-up.

Jimmy
if i pushed the pedal any harder my foot would go through the floor
good question though.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you aren't moving while it is on, you are NOT running off of your High Octane table, you are running off of the Base Idle Spark Tables (forget if it's in Park/Neutral or Drive table for an M6 so just make both of those tables the same). However those tables run out at 4800, so I guess you will need to adjust timing in that last column; it likely sits there even though your RPMs are higher. Try setting the whole column to -5.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
Since you aren't moving while it is on, you are NOT running off of your High Octane table, you are running off of the Base Idle Spark Tables (forget if it's in Park/Neutral or Drive table for an M6 so just make both of those tables the same). However those tables run out at 4800, so I guess you will need to adjust timing in that last column; it likely sits there even though your RPMs are higher. Try setting the whole column to -5.

thank you. i will try that as soon as i can to see if that will take care of it
Old 06-17-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two step is usually just that rev limiter. Anitlag usually plays with timing and fuel. Anitlag can let a car like my 97 talon leave the line at 20psi. On two step you are lucky to maybe get 5 using 5000 on that car with 2.4 litres. Redline is 8000 .

I have still no clue why it can't be done in software? And they should also have antilag options, no lift to shift and nitrous controls. My simple and fairly cheap old 97 talon program can do all this stuff. Heck a simple chip can do this stuff. So why can't hp tuners for example do it? Because it can't have to buy a two step, no antilag even available and doubt would powershift much as its not as easy or safe as it is on my 97 talon. The no lift to shift brings in a lower rev limiter type of deal it also helps the turbos stay spooled up.

Quick Reply: not building boost on a 2-step?