Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me pick pistons/rings/rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick pistons/rings/rods

A little background info..

Car is a 2004 GTO with the GEN TTR TWIN TURBO kit.. Cam is a 220/224 581/581 112+4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I am pretty sure My motor is toast.. Gave her hell last night at the track and she did fine but today I was putting around town and it went super lean in 1 bank.. Started pusing oil out the breather..Backfiring and barely accellerating.. So its time to yank her out and build it right.. Its been smoking for a good bit anyhow.. So I knew the rings where on the way out..

What I am thinking is some nice forged pistons something that will give me about 9.5:1. Some rods that can withstand about 900 RWHP. And of course the best rings I can find that will take the power as well..

I plan on using my stock ls1 block and the stock heads.. I might buy some 243 castings to throw on there since they have to come off.. Undecided on that.. I allready have a cam that I like so Thats going to be the same as well.

I am far from an engine expert especially when it comes to one that needs to withstand atleast 18-20 lbs of boost.. Any input or help would be appreciated.. Iv done a ton of searching and there is some good info out there but nothing specificalyl for my application.. My car is an 04 so it is an LS1

Thanks in Advance..
Old 06-17-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robbie.....

Eagle H-Beam rods will work just fine and you can get them all dat for $499
The diamond -8.6cc Dish pistons for a 3.905" bore will work just fine.... Those should be around $600.
Id just then use some 12 point ARP head studs, main studs and some MLS gaskets and you should be fine.
Id add a new ported oil pump and double timing chain while u were at it.

Kyle
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

what kind of rings do you think kyle? This it would be worth it to put on a set of 243 castings as well?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by robul
what kind of rings do you think kyle? This it would be worth it to put on a set of 243 castings as well?
One thing you need to bring into a main point of focus is that you need to figure out what heads you are going to run FIRST and foremost and then spec your pistons around those heads. The LS6 head is a great heads when done up right. No off the shelf piston will lower the compression suitable enough for my tastes. Id look into 8.5-8.5 compression with those heads. They will need a sizeable dish.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

I already had a set of Ported and Polished 5.3 heads, and since not going rediculous with boost (14psi) I decided that 9.0:1 CR was going to be ok... down the road i may get a different set of heads if i feel like i want to turn up the boost...
However, with the smaller chamber heads, i chose Mahle -16cc forged pistons... eagle ESP H-beam rods with ARP L19 bolts... Just using the rings that come with the pistons...

wiht that kind of boost, i'd say a set of 6.0 heads and the -16 cc heads would probably get you down in teh low 8's CR... which would be a good idea.. that's gonna make a hell of a lot of power
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI Robbie the L19 rod bolts arent worth the $$ if your not going to spin the motor to 7500+ rpm's....
We used Hell fire rings last time and ill get back to ya on the rings im using this time.....

I agree with picking the heads 1st and then specing the pistons.
The LS6 243's blow awsome untouched and just add some awsome springs and u should be good buddy.

Who's building the motor???

Hit me up on AIM when ya see me....

Kyle
Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

I went with Wiesco coated pistons,NRP high heat rings,Comp star crank and rods with L19 bolts and L19 head studs.

Quick Reply: Help me pick pistons/rings/rods