Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wastegate distance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate distance

How far away from the turbo have you ran the wastegate?

here,s my problem I just installed an adustable boost regulator (cheapo from ebay) on a 38mm tial gate. the gate has a 7 psi sping but at the gauge its only reading 5. thats why I installed the regulator now the car during hard runs will hit 15. normal driving with slow accelaration the boost sits at 9 or so. My gate is over 3 feet from the turbo (rear mount). my thinking is when the gate vents air, the air looses velocity and the turbo cant spool but when I nail it the turbo spins hard enough that the air traveling past the vent still has high velocity alowing the turbo to spool out of controll.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car controlled 5 beforw with no problems I would say you dont have the controller hooked up or adjusted correctly. If you are using it on the reference side to bleed off pressure then with the controller completely closed the car should make the same boost. Then when you open the controller and bleed off boost the gate reference will see less eventhough the intake system is seeing more.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

we are running one on the xover pipe on a manifold kit, a few feet from the turbo - works just fine even on super low boost
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

hmmm...

It appears I may have not adjusted it right or it is a not workinging. cause sometimes it regulates at 7 to 8, I can hear the gate functioning. and some times it just does not regulate. I have yet to find a pattern or some reasoning behind this. It just happens randomly.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Check the diaphram and valve seat of the wastegate. Ive seen the diaphram tear and cause unknown spikes.

Quick Reply: wastegate distance