Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil in turbo- hot and cold side

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil in turbo- hot and cold side

I am running an APS twin turbo kit on my 05 GTO which uses Mitsubishi 20G turbos and I have had issues with it smoking when I jump on it as long as I can remember. There is oil in the compressor side and coming out from between the center section and turbine housing on the passenger side turbo and some on the drivers side also, just not nearly as bad. I can't see it being a bad turbo on both sides like that, so I'm leaning towards it needing a restrictor. This kit does use a scavenge pump, so I'm thinking it is just too much oil.

Problem is, I do not know how much restrictor to use- I do not want to kill the turbo. It is pulling oil from the pan right above the oil filter and has one feed line to each turbo. If I put a restrictor in, should I just put on in right at the distribution block (before the outlets), or is it better off as close to the turbo as possible?

Any advice on what to do here? Also, the drivers side has some oil as well, just not as bad- I'm thinking it has something to do with the scavenge pump setup .

APS said it could be from my breather since I am not running a catch can, but I have never seen oil in the intake stream come out the hot side like that and just don't see how it is possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you from experince, if your engine is not vented well enough,you will suck oil past your ring's and into the exaust side and intake side. It also came out of my wastegate dump's onto the driveway. 2 small puddle's of oil. It happened to me on accident while I was cleaning my engine and forgot to take the cap off of the breather tube on the passenger valve cover. Looked like a freight train till i got it burned out!!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, never seen that one before. I am running just the two 3/8 valve cover breathers that go to the turbo inlet pipes along with a PCV/check valve in the lifter valley, though it is only at idle and cruise, not under boost obviously. I was going to put a breather cap on the passenger valve cover (oil fill breather), but APS has the oil return going into the valve cover at the base of the filler neck and I assumed it would only blow the oil up from the return and out the breather.

The smoke is only when I initially get on it, then it clears right up, which has me doubting it is anything with the rings.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any other input?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure your oil can get out of the turbo. If you have blockages it will back up in the turbo and can go into both the hot and cold side.

Put a seperate restrictor in front of both turbos (as close as possible). Start at like 0.100"/side, if you get into the 0.060" range try to make you drain better. Smallest restrictor I have heard someone using was 0.040".

Ensure your PCV system is either breathing to the atmophere (do not pressurize the crank case), or even better, run them to the air inlet of the turbo/s (so when the engine goes into boost the PCV lines and crank case have a vacuum - this will make your intake dirty over time if you are not running a catch can).
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigturboz28
Make sure your oil can get out of the turbo. If you have blockages it will back up in the turbo and can go into both the hot and cold side.

Put a seperate restrictor in front of both turbos (as close as possible). Start at like 0.100"/side, if you get into the 0.060" range try to make you drain better. Smallest restrictor I have heard someone using was 0.040".

Ensure your PCV system is either breathing to the atmophere (do not pressurize the crank case), or even better, run them to the air inlet of the turbo/s (so when the engine goes into boost the PCV lines and crank case have a vacuum - this will make your intake dirty over time if you are not running a catch can).
No blockages, pretty straight forward drain/pump setup. I *think* I resolved it though- when I pulled the scavenge pump out to tear the motor down a couple months back, I just put the pump back in the bracket however it seemed to fall in place. After looking at the install instructions again, they show the pump with the inlet facing down and the outlet on top (pump lays horizontally). When it went back in, it was with the outlet on the bottom and the inlet on top. I don't know for sure if that was it or not, but I have yet to see any smoke since rotating it. I wonder if it had to do with the oil having to go slightly uphill to the pump...

I'll know after I do more driving tomorrow if it is truly gone or not- I only got to get on it a couple times before dark today.

If it still smokes, I'll be adding a restrictor. Thanks!!
Joe
Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brand new zero mileage TC76MPS had the same problem we had to send the unit back to turbonetics and they found faulty seals and fixed it for free.

Quick Reply: oil in turbo- hot and cold side