Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Tuning Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turbo Tuning Q's

Let me start by saying I have a 98 Trans Am 408, afr heads, custom turbo grind hyd roller. No intake yet because Im not sure who's is the best for a turbo car.
My first question is how much horsepower can the stock ls1 ecu handle with a turbo application, secondly who is the best tuner for that application.
Next question is, if I was to switch over to a stand-alone,(fast,AEM,Bigstuff) how much does it typically cost, and who would be the best tuner for that?

Distance doesnt matter that much to me, I got a diesel truck and a nice trailer, if the price is right and I know the tuner is the best in his field, and he can get the job done right the first time and get the most out of it.

So lemme hear it, who tunes these cars best. Who Should I go to.

Also I guess ill ask, which intake and throttle body combo should I run? If I go stand alone ill most likely go vic jr with an elbow and a big tb, but if I stay stock computer what should I use?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
Let me start by saying I have a 98 Trans Am 408, afr heads, custom turbo grind hyd roller. No intake yet because Im not sure who's is the best for a turbo car.
My first question is how much horsepower can the stock ls1 ecu handle with a turbo application, secondly who is the best tuner for that application.
Next question is, if I was to switch over to a stand-alone,(fast,AEM,Bigstuff) how much does it typically cost, and who would be the best tuner for that?

Distance doesnt matter that much to me, I got a diesel truck and a nice trailer, if the price is right and I know the tuner is the best in his field, and he can get the job done right the first time and get the most out of it.

So lemme hear it, who tunes these cars best. Who Should I go to.

Also I guess ill ask, which intake and throttle body combo should I run? If I go stand alone ill most likely go vic jr with an elbow and a big tb, but if I stay stock computer what should I use?
where are you located? there are alot of good tuners out there, so its hard to say who's the best when you have alot of good guys out there ( For example in the midwest you have: Speed inc, EPP, Stenod, W2W, Hardcore, etc. And thats just some of the sponsors as there are alot of good non-sponsors out there as well)
Well, how much power are you trying to make? depending on what that is, you can stick with the 98 PCM...hell, look up a member named Na$ty-TA, he's making 1k hp with the 98 pcm (with a few add-on's) so it can be done but the EASIEST route would be to add a aftermarket pcm.

And also, try a search as most (if not all) of your q's have been answered a million times over. good luck
Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks, ill try doing a search.
Im in the midwest area.
Im looking to put down somewhere in the neighborhood of 1k rwhp.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

eastcoast - slowhawk in MA
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Stick or auto? Race gas?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

auto-race gas.