Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Journal Bearing vs. Ball Bearing Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Journal Bearing vs. Ball Bearing Turbos

so what's the deal with these types of turbos? is the added reliability of a ball bearing turbo worth the cost for just a street car? or will a journal bearing turbo hold up just fine? what kind of differences will you see between the two on the track?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I road race journal bearing turbos. A journal bearing turbo can last the life of the engine. I've had at least two I know of over 40k miles before they were sold to someone else. My journal bearing T76 reaches full boost around 2200 rpm. *I* feel like a journal bearing turbo is perfectly suitable for most applications and the money could be better spent elsewhere unless your budget is high for your build. Not cracking on ball bearing centers, just stating facts based on my experience.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

i'm afraid that my budget isn't that high, but i wanna do things right the first time so my system has excellent longevity. i was looking at a 67mm turbo. not gonna be roadracing, it's gonna be in a street car that'll see the track here and there. doubt i'll even go over 10lbs of boost. speaking of which, will anything more than 8 psi require methanol injection or an intercooler, even with 6.0L heads? on stock internals, mind you.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

There is nothing wrong with a journal bearing turbo, you should be fine with it. Like speed said unless you got a stack of cash burning a hole in your pocket dont worry about it
Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Launching!

BB turbos do spool up 3-500 RPMs sooner.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironmancan
BB turbos do spool up 3-500 RPMs sooner.
In the case of very large turbos on small engines... you forgot that part.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only reason I am considering a setup that is dual BB is because of the small ci. 346ci with a SX88 dual BB. (When it comes out)

Also do a search I found a cool write up about this same subject
Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Well...the BB is nice for transient boost situations...that is where is really shines, but we are only talking a couple hundred rpm.

The downside to the BB is the cost of a rebuild. A local shop cannot rebuild them, they must be sent to the manufacturer (Precision in this example) and it will end up costing you 750-800 dollars to get fixed.

Compare that to a regular JB, which can be repaired by a local guy for 200-250.

We prefer JB here at the shop, but each one has its +- ... for the money and easy of downtime repairs, JB is the way to go.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zombie
In the case of very large turbos on small engines... you forgot that part.
Help me out here I'm a Turbo Noob. Would your combination fit your description or are we talking about something like a SX 88 on your engine?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/ball_bearing.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dual BB is nice if you have the extra money to spend. Is it worth it???....well that remains to be seen. Also Garrett DBB's can not be rebuilt, as they have to be replaced as a whole CHRA through exchange cause we offer that service here, which is the same as PTE and others. As for the T-netics BB, it can be rebuilt easily, so its probably the best setup to go with if you need BB and want the ease of rebuild. As for the difference....well on most of the big ci engines.....maybe 200-400rpms max and only in the mid boost...from say 3500-4500 range. In the lower and higher rpms their is virtually no difference at all and unless you analyze a log of boost versus rpms, you would never know it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Dual BB is nice if you have the extra money to spend. Is it worth it???....well that remains to be seen. Also Garrett DBB's can not be rebuilt, as they have to be replaced as a whole CHRA through exchange cause we offer that service here, which is the same as PTE and others. As for the T-netics BB, it can be rebuilt easily, so its probably the best setup to go with if you need BB and want the ease of rebuild. As for the difference....well on most of the big ci engines.....maybe 200-400rpms max and only in the mid boost...from say 3500-4500 range. In the lower and higher rpms their is virtually no difference at all and unless you analyze a log of boost versus rpms, you would never know it.
You forgot about Innovative's DBB CHRA's being rebuildable for cheap, but their service has gone to the ******* unfortunately. I would not buy another one of their turbos unless they got their act straight with service.

I completely agree, that you really wouldn't notice the difference unless analyzing logs.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zombie
You forgot about Innovative's DBB CHRA's being rebuildable for cheap, but their service has gone to the ******* unfortunately. I would not buy another one of their turbos unless they got their act straight with service.

I completely agree, that you really wouldn't notice the difference unless analyzing logs.
You are right......they have some of our customers still waiting on parts and its going on over 6 months now. Oh well......
Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

ok so now the only thing i'm wondering is, if i get a 67mm sts and push 5-9 lbs of boost with 6.0L heads and meth injection, is my motor gonna blow, or perform reliably? can you even make a turbo setup run reliably?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Turbo's will run very reliable if tuned properly. Also I tell folks, go with a slightly larger turbo like a 76mm on a LS1. The larger units come on a tad later and help keep cylinder pressure down.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whitedevilWS6
ok so now the only thing i'm wondering is, if i get a 67mm sts and push 5-9 lbs of boost with 6.0L heads and meth injection, is my motor gonna blow, or perform reliably? can you even make a turbo setup run reliably?
Absolutley, if you stay 5-9 lbs. You didn't mention it but I assume you'll be going with a FMIC. Plenty of people running around with what you want with no issues. Me included until I pulled things for forging Just make sure you get a good tune when your done.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

well i was thinking of running methanol injection but i don't know if an FMIC is a better idea or whatnot all i know is the meth kit is half as expensive and the juice itself is cheap. that and i've been told it's better than FMIC.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Launching!

I run both. I know it's not required but I want a safe setup. FMIC is always there. I know it's pricy and not something you need today but i would definitely put it on my mod list. Some have not purchased the STS FMIC because they are pretty pricey and made/bought a different unit and saved a few hundred bucks along the way.

Quick Reply: Journal Bearing vs. Ball Bearing Turbos