Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Exhaust wrapping advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust wrapping advice...

So i am thinkin about wrapping my exhaust but i have heard that if u dont do certian things then ur exhaust and/or headers rot out....so i am wondering on advice cuz i live in Arizona and am moving back to Minnesota where it rains so any help would be nice...
Old 07-14-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing you can do to absolutely prevent rust is go stainless steel.

WHen I wrap my exhaust I like to paint the tubing first with hi-temp black, then wrap it, then paint it again with hi-temp black to seal it.

Don't wrap over coated headers - they will overheat the coating and destroy it.

I guess after driving in rain you could let it idle for a few minutes to help dry out the wrap, but remember that most exhaust systems rot from the inside out, due to the combo of acids and condensation on the insides of the pipes.

Wrapping from the headers back to the mufflers is worth some power and a little less noise inside the car. It will really help that STS spool too.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Default ..

your worries about your exhaust wrap in the rain how about the filter for the turbo basicly putting the sts kit on means no more driving in the rain haahah
Old 07-14-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

I second that on improving spool time for STS kits!

Rain has never really been an issue for me unless you drive in a monsoon or driving through deep enough water to partially submerge the filter. I'm in florida and it rains pretty often and when it does most of the time it's a downpour. When it does rain I use the Outfitters pre-filter to help keep H2o out.

But ... I have heard of others having water issues
Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would get some 01/02 manifolds and have them ported/coated. Then start wrapping from the manifold collector on back (right in front of the cat). You dont need to wrap the headers. Also don't wrap the cats if you still have them.

For the wrap, get it wet in a bucket for a few seconds. Then wrap it tight on the pipe overlapping it by 50% (basically overlap halfway) and then you can use DEI high temp spray or something similar if you want. The wrap will dry to the pipe. Just be careful of the fiberglass pieces inside the wrap, it can irritate the skin.

Last edited by JAvenger007; 07-15-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
I would get some 01/02 manifolds and have them ported/coated. Then start wrapping from the manifold collector on back (right in front of the cat). You dont need to wrap the headers. Also don't wrap the cats if you still have them.

For the wrap, get it wet in a bucket for a few seconds. Then wrap it tight on the pipe overlapping it by 50% (basically overlap halfway) and then you can use DEI high temp spray or something similar if you want. The wrap will dry to the pipe. Just be careful of the fiberglass pieces inside the wrap, it can irritate the skin.
With ur turbo setup from TRT are u getting the FMIC to go along with that, i have ordered mine but havent got it yet, J/W...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a FMIC but not the one from TRT. Mine has a smaller core but fits between the headlights. I was told it ran on a mustang making 700+ but we will see how the IATs and flow work out. It if works, then its a perfect size to retain stock stuff. hopefully it will.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Do you have to use the silicone spray with wrap, just using metal ties won't be enuff?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spray is supposed to "lock in moisture" and retain more heat. Its also good if you want to color your wrap a certain way. IMO it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes and spray it down, plus a can is only $5. The spray isn't meant for "sealing" the wrap to itself or locking it in place like a SS zip tie would. I would just use worm gear clamps since they are cheap and still hold nicely on wrap.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

yeah i have heard about the use of silicone spray, and with its ups and downs, i am also hoping that the TRT FMIC will really help with IAT's i guess we will see do u suggest that i remove the pipe from the headers back to the turbo to paint/wrap/spray?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

It is important to wrap from rear to front. This seems minor but your wrap will last a lot longer if the front lip of each loop of wrap is under the next one, instead of having the leading edge be able to be pushed by the wind. The wind will unravel a good wrap job and loosen it in a couple thousand miles.

I have also found it useful to put an extra hose clamp about every foot or 18" for retention (not shown in pix):

Jim
Old 07-15-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00TurboTA
With ur turbo setup from TRT are u getting the FMIC to go along with that, i have ordered mine but havent got it yet, J/W...
yeah they take a while, been waiting 2 1/2 weeks and the guy said it would be done 2 weeks ago

p.s. are you the guy with just the 5.5 psi kit, i had that heads/cam camaro and i told you im doing an STS kit?

Brian is your name right?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

no u must have me confused with someone else, my name is kurt but u said u had a head/cam ? or something i will help if need be but my name is kurt...
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quik01ss
your worries about your exhaust wrap in the rain how about the filter for the turbo basicly putting the sts kit on means no more driving in the rain haahah

so no one ever drives the ss or ws6 in the rain? Im mean really a straight shot about 16 inches through the hood and filter to the tb or , a rear mount turbo....is through a covered air filter, through a spinning turbo, a 20 inch vertical rise against acceleration over the axle, the 14 ft to the intercooler fighting acceleration, through it, the other 24 inch vertical rise through the maf, and a turn to the tb........Besides, if its that bad out, wouldnt the engine die long before water was ever close to reaching the intercooler? Ofcourse the typical cai low on the drivers side is no problem either.....lol

As for wrap, I live in a dry climate, I wrap an coat everything with no problem. Big deal the headers only last 15 years.....Ive seen several na cars actually vibrate the headers apart now, no wrap or anything, just fatigue.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Launching!

has anyone else had this problem. i wrapped all my exhaust a few days ago in preparation for a tune... and i was on the freeway and the car just got beat ran really rough, so i pulled over n it couldnt even idle, i also threw a buncha codes. mostly o2 sensor codes, the only thing i did was wrap it.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

no u must have me confused with someone else, my name is kurt but u said u had a head/cam ? or something i will help if need be but my name is kurt...
i could swear its you cause you went up to minnesota for 2 weeks or something.

i think it was kurt i called you and asked you about your STS kit

i had the pewter camaro my license plate is LSHAVEN
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by jeffboy757
has anyone else had this problem. i wrapped all my exhaust a few days ago in preparation for a tune... and i was on the freeway and the car just got beat ran really rough, so i pulled over n it couldnt even idle, i also threw a buncha codes. mostly o2 sensor codes, the only thing i did was wrap it.
The exhaust wrap would not of caused any problems. Bob
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cchris1109
i could swear its you cause you went up to minnesota for 2 weeks or something.

i think it was kurt i called you and asked you about your STS kit

i had the pewter camaro my license plate is LSHAVEN
Do u go to uti? i am tryin to think of this and cant remember...
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Wait i know who u are,43d and bell right, pewter A4, i remember now whats up man...
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait i know who u are,43d and bell right, pewter A4, i remember now whats up man...
waiting for my car to be done

we are aiming for 550-600 whp on my setup

should be sick

Quick Reply: Exhaust wrapping advice...