Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Truck under-go's turbo relocation surgery

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Truck under-go's turbo relocation surgery

Ok, So I've had the STS kit on my truck for two and a half years and have been quite happy with it. No real problems, just a few miner one's with extreme cold with the oil pump blowing fuses and the waste gate freezing. So I decided to build a custom front mount setup, using the same turbo and waste gate, so I could judge the difference in spool speed. All I can say is, WOW! This thing spools SO much faster with this front mount. To be fair though, I did have some exhaust leaks pre-turbo I found when I took the STS off which probable was slowing spool time, but still, wow.

The first thing I did was pull the STS kit off, (yes I know its dirty )

Then I started building a passenger side manifold. I built it out of schedule 10, 304 stainless steel pipe and 90* weld-alls.

Came out pretty good I think
I also built a jig wile I was at it, so I could replicate this manifold in case anyone wanted to buy one (PM me for Pricing )

Then I built a crossover from the stock manifold on the drivers side to the back of the custom manifold on the pass side. It was built out of 2 1/2" mandrel bent aluminized tubing with a SS flex in it for longevity, and a down pipe

I also mounted the waste gate in the crossover under the truck (it was more convenient and it works GREAT!)

I only had to modify one of the charge pipes to connect my existing intercooler.

Everything came out pretty good,

I also built all new 3" exhaust out the back of the truck reusing the old Warlock muffler (after a good wire wheel job and some high temp ceramic paint) and mandrel bends. It exits in the stock location, very sleeper I will have more picks of it later when I put it up on my buddy's lift.

Oh and I have a few turbos laying around too
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, and did I mention, I did all this in a little over a week and i didn't work on it 3 of those day, cuz I was too tired after work,

I am have a little problem with a bit of smoke after I let off the gas after I make a run, I think I didn't put my oil drain high enough in the oil pan (it's just above the low oil level sensor) and it is backing up to the turbo when in boost. I put a restrictor in the feed line to the turbo, will see if that helps. And I have a exhaust leak in the v-band clamp at the back of the turbo manifold, but I think If I make a aluminum gasket to put in there, it will seal it up. It is a shitty V-band . Surprisingly, my tune is still very close.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really good man... does it have a little better response than before?? =)
Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats kickass, looks really good for a weeks worth of work. what size turbo did you use?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
thats kickass, looks really good for a weeks worth of work. what size turbo did you use?
It the T60-1 with a .68 a/r exhaust that the STS comes with. I'm running 7 lbs on low and 10 lbs on high boost. It a little small, but spool is pretty much instant on my 4.8. I'm think of putting one of those MP t-70 on it to see how it spool it. The motor is stock, other then a Vinci Ultra torque cam (210 218, .5xx lift, 116lsa I believe) and Z06 springs. I do have Meth on it too.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

You do some fast work thats for sure! Im impressed!
I rode in a front mount PTK system and didnt notice any lag... I wound up ordering it later that day Front mount is the only way to go IMO
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

with all those turbos you should have just went with twins!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Screw the twins.... QUAD!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
with all those turbos you should have just went with twins!
Twin 70's on a 4.8, lol don't know if I'd ever get it to spool!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, made it to the track today. Last time out up here DA was 8800' and best runs was a 14.59@99mph and could only builds 1-2psi of boost on the line (2.39 60' i think).

Today, DA was 8400' and best run was 13.21@103.5. Same boost (11.5psi) and tune. Could easily build 8-10psi of boost on the line . I'm pretty happy with my front mount
Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to see a direct before and after test of moving the turbo up front. So many people say their STS kit is the greatest thing ever and this just proves otherwise.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
It's good to see a direct before and after test of moving the turbo up front. So many people say their STS kit is the greatest thing ever and this just proves otherwise.
Yes and no. On his setup yes, but there are a lot of variables. I've ridden in a front mounted t76 car and it's spool was only a hair quicker than my rearmount. I've got my setup optimised pretty good though, more than most.

I wouldn't put a rearmount on a truck in the first place though, lot's of engine space. F-body or Y-body i'd consider sticking it in the *** due to space. If I could have a front mounted turbo on my setup without it over heating out here and keeping a/c I would.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Yes and no. On his setup yes, but there are a lot of variables. I've ridden in a front mounted t76 car and it's spool was only a hair quicker than my rearmount. I've got my setup optimised pretty good though, more than most.

I wouldn't put a rearmount on a truck in the first place though, lot's of engine space. F-body or Y-body i'd consider sticking it in the *** due to space. If I could have a front mounted turbo on my setup without it over heating out here and keeping a/c I would.
I think you could easily. The thing is how much money are you willing to spend in order to do so? Anything can be done with the right amount of money. The benefit to the rearmount turbo kits is the price. That's the one major selling point. They'll give you a decent increase in power at a decent price. You can't argue with the cost / hp. All the other options considered I'd say the traditional mounting is better.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no cost advantage to using a rear mount. It's main advantage is ease of install in a crowded engine bay.

I seriously doubt I could put a turbo in the engine bay, keep a/c, and not have it over heat here in vegas. As soon as you lose the stock fans it's game over. Road temps are 150+ EVen stock the cooling system is just barely adequate. Every stockish car i've scanned in summer here with the a/c on runs 240 degree coolant temps... sucks.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good who makes that blanket? Also, isn't the STS charge piping aluminum?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
looks good who makes that blanket? Also, isn't the STS charge piping aluminum?
I made it . Actually it a turbo insulator kit from Jegs. It uses a layer of 3" header wrap cut to fit around the turbo, then a layer of the Mylar backed fiberglass insulation cut to fit with SS wire woven through the edges and then twisted together after you wrap it around the turbo. Works pretty well. Was about a 100 bucks and comes with 50' of 2" header wrap for the cross over and down pipe and and 3' of 3" header wrap for the first layer on the housing and a 36"x48" sheet of the Mylar backed insulation for the 2nd layer on the housing housing and anything else you want to insulate.

No, the charge pipes on the sts kit is coated steel tubing.

To be fair guys this really isn't a good comparison of the STS and a front mount. Altitude REALLY has an affect on getting the STS to spool up, especially with the small exhaust leaks I had and that where my big gains are. I don;t think my sea level times will be near this much of an improvement. I will find out next time I go down to AZ. Here is a link to more discussion of it with more detail and screen shots of the EFILive logs of the 2 runs. Let me know what you think.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=397911
Old 07-29-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zombie
There is no cost advantage to using a rear mount. It's main advantage is ease of install in a crowded engine bay.

As for cost, building the front mount for me was a lot less expensive then the STS kit, but I did all the work and have the know how. Took me probable about 40-50 hours or so. When you buy a kit, you pay for a lot of other things, like shop over head, R&D and some money in the guys pocket. You pay a premium for the "kit" convenience of it.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like a nice build..... gotta build one cheap for the fbody now
Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice setup. Looks just like a Trick kit.I would figure spool would be alot better with it upfront on a small 4.8l. Thanks for posting the hr's it took to build too.By our shop rates it still looks cheaper for the customer to go with a Trick kit than for us to make it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Nice setup. Looks just like a Trick kit.I would figure spool would be alot better with it upfront on a small 4.8l. Thanks for posting the hr's it took to build too.By our shop rates it still looks cheaper for the customer to go with a Trick kit than for us to make it.
Actually, C-Motorsports was probable the first to build a kit with this design for Parish 4 years or so ago. The time includes pulling the STS off and everything associated with building and getting this up and running. (drive in-drive out) I started on a Friday morning, worked all weekend, and half day on Monday. Then worked my reg job the next 3 days and started back on it on Friday and had it running again Sunday afternoon. And I'm not a work all night kind of guy so I start about 9 in the morning and will quit about 8-9 with a lunch and some screwing around in there too .

Quick Reply: Truck under-go's turbo relocation surgery