Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts Help!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sts Help!

I was driving home tonight with my TA and I got on it a few times but nothing really hard, and then everything went to hell...All of a sudden the car started to jerk like it was gettin robbed of something, checked my gauges and i cant make boost at all and the car is going super rich(flat past 10.0 on the A/F gauge), i am gonna check all the intake piping from the Turbo through the intercooler and back up but i am very upset to say the least...my roommate said that i could have broken a shaft in the turbo and that could be it and the turbo isnt leakin oil(as of right now) so i dont think that it is seals but any help or advice would be much appreciated...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

check your o2 sensors they could have went min kinda did that as well it was just bad 02 sensors

or it could be something way worse but i like to think the simple things first
Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

i only have 2 o2 sensors and it has ran fine(havent had time for tune to delete the post cat o2s and egr codes, etc.) so idk i will check tho
Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

is the car tuned?

report back once the piping is checked. You might have just blown a coupler or the MAF off. Did the car try to die at stoplights as you drove it home? Describe a little more about how it started acting.

Do you have a WB? What did your fuel pressure read? What does the turbo sound like (can you still hear it trying to spool)? Remove your downpipe and 90* filter pipe and inspect the turbo, its likely ok judging from what youve described.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

here is where my guess is comming from....your stock o2's are prob shot....what was explained to me is that when the o2 sensors get to old they go nuts...get to slow or read just WRONG so the computer just dumps fuel and assuming your running bigger then stock injectors its dumping a % of the duty cycle and with bigger injectors that is a lot of fuel....i changed my o2s and everything got better....i could be wrong but its an idea

check all the pipes and connectors tho first cause its easy thing to do
Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not making boost at all I strongly suggest that you check all your intake piping. The turbine knows nothing about your O2 sensors, it is just a big fan driven by the exhaust.
I popped a coupling at 115 mph Saturday night racing an LS1. Lost all boost and was like running into a brick wall. Crawled under the car and a clamp I had removed/reinstalled previously had popped off. Simple fix.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM
12 Second Club

yea but unless he poped a pipe after the maf the car should not be running retarted rich.......cause the maf is still able to meter the air going in and there is no "vacume" leak.

it all depends on why he cant make boost....when my o2's when out the car was running so rich it was basically impossible to get over like 2500-3k rpm so i would say i could not make boost either. i am not saying your wrong about it being a pipe but to me it sounds like more
Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree, Mitch, that there could be more than one problem (there usually is). The PCM should drive the AFR to 14.7 during closed loop operation.
However, I maintain that he must first check out all the intake piping. He did not say that he was not able to rev the motor, merely that it was running way rich. Of course, he also did not say whether the over rich condition was during closed loop or open loop operation (request for more information, 00TurboTA).
Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

i completely agree i said check the easy stuff first...look under the car and check the pipes, check the engine bay and make sure all the pipes are connected

then give us a little more info to work off of....what rpm range is the car acting up in?

can you rev it?

you say you only have the front 2 o2's, are the rear ones still installed just not plugged in? Do you still have the rear o2's laying around in the garage or something?

assuming you still have the rear o2s laying around and they worked when you took them out and all your pipes are still connected...do me a favor and humor me and take out your front o2s and put in some o2s that work.

and get us a little more background info about the prob
Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would lean toward you having blown a pipe off at the maf. check you pipes and go from there
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As everyone said, we do need some more info, but I would like to know if you were driving in the rain. If your filter sucked in some water, and it got on the MAF, that will do this too.

Or, if the oil scavenger pump is malfunctioning, it could have coated the intake piping, including the MAF, with oil. It probably is something relatively minor. Anything that effects the pcm reading airflow feels like a big problem, but a lot of times it isn't. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Ok well, to answer some ?s...I can hear the turbo trying to spool up and and no boost is created, I dont have O2s laying around but i am gonna check intake piping first then go from there, um, no i wasnt driving in the rain, cleaned my filter recently(and yes i let it dry before puttin it on), and i cant really rev, if i try to rev hard(idle then to floor) it bogs out and sounds like the motor has run into a wall, I have not had it tuned and um idk anything else just post up and i will answer
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Launching!

When i lost my oil pump my turbo threw oil into the intake plumbing. Once it got on my MAF I was screwed until I cleaned things up. Then it was fine. I was having the same symptoms as you. BTW when I've lost a connection in the intake track all I lose is power. No other ill effects.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

you put a sts kit on your car and never tuned it? and your out beating on it? you are asking for problems.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

yea without a tune.....ever? your just asking for that motor to be blown up

get a tune!

go out there and check all the pipes and get back to us.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea you answered the real problem here. this car needs a tune
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
yea you answered the real problem here. this car needs a tune

Damn can't believe I missed that one. Hopefully no damage was done...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

haha im pretty smart! jk, that isnt a good thing to do... FI no tune..= detonation= KABOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go check all your pipeing.. hopefully your intake tube came off.. but if its a motor issue.. lesson learned i suppose?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ironmancan
When i lost my oil pump my turbo threw oil into the intake plumbing. Once it got on my MAF I was screwed until I cleaned things up. Then it was fine. I was having the same symptoms as you. BTW when I've lost a connection in the intake track all I lose is power. No other ill effects.

I had the same problem. Maf covered in oil cannot read correctly. it ran rich mega rich.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

I bet he blew something to shiznit b/c of no tune...perhaps like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_gNQLmTM0

Search this Thread