Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need Advice....Misfire and PCV line disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need Advice....Misfire and PCV line disconnected

OK, here's the deal:

I'm in Iraq and my wife is with my car in Alabama. She drove it this morning and was turning from a side street onto the main road, gave the car about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle....and was greeted with a loud bang (misfire). The car sputtered for a few seconds and the service engine light came on (steady light).

Here's where I'm at now after grilling her with questions. Fuel pressure was and still is good at 60PSI (what it's tuned for). Ol pressure was and is good. Car isn't leaking fluids or overheating....coolant temp is at 185 degrees. The ONLY thing that is odd is that the Air/Fuel was registering in the 11-12 range at light throttle after this happened. Should be 14-15. No unusual engine noise since this happened either.

The PCV line was found disconnected from the PCV valve when she looked under the hood. I run a PCV line from the crankcase, through an AMW catchcan, and into the PCV. It was disconnected from the PCV valve directly. The other end of the line connects to the catchcan. All the turbo piping looked to be secure.

So, the big question is this:

Would the car misfie and throw a code if the PCV line popped off during acceleration?

OR

Would an internal misfire blow the PCV line off the PCV valve? This would be much more worrisome, for obvious reasons.

Car is currently sitting at home. I won't get a chance to look at or drive the car till NOVEMBER. Being in the desert sucks! Recent work is a heads/cam/ tuning package by TRT in June 2007. Car was driven 900 iles back to Alabama with no issues. It's been driven about 50 miles since then....all low speed local city driving.

Input appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did she pull the SES code? and how did it drive afterward, was it just sputtering and such?

the first thing i would have thought would be a blown coupler or something, maybe the loud bang was the PCV line popping out?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
did she pull the SES code? and how did it drive afterward, was it just sputtering and such?

the first thing i would have thought would be a blown coupler or something, maybe the loud bang was the PCV line popping out?
Car appears to be driving ok after the misfire, save the A/F ratio aroud 11-12 at part throttle. She hasn't driven it since reconnecting the PCV.

I have HP tuners and a Diablo Programmer......and both are in storage in Hawaii. So......don't know the code (though I'm placing bets on the "random misfire" code ).
Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pcv line being disconnected would be a vaccume leak right? I would drive it now that it is hooked back up and see how it is.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say have her take it for a test drive down the street to see if anything changes. Listening for any strange sounds or any driveability problems and go from there.

Anyone you know around there that has the hardware to pull the codes? If not, is there a vatozone close by your place? They pull codes for free.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
12 Second Club

Spoke with my wife on the phone tonight. She drove the car this afternoon and problem is gone. No hesitation or misfiring. He even got it to boost up a couple times and all was well. Guess it was the PCV line coming off. Wish all probs were that simple

Thanks to all who helped with info.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Second Club

good stuff phill im glad you got it all worked out man
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
good stuff phill im glad you got it all worked out man
Damn Ricky, that was a quick reply....at 2:30 in the afternoon! Aren't you supposed to be on patrol or doing something useful to defend America right now?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
Damn Ricky, that was a quick reply....at 2:30 in the afternoon! Aren't you supposed to be on patrol or doing something useful to defend America right now?
hahahaha i could ask you the same thing!!! hahahaha

Quick Reply: Need Advice....Misfire and PCV line disconnected