Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is Forced Induction Feasible With My Current Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Forced Induction Feasible With My Current Setup?

Ok, I am curious as to whether or not forced induction is even worth it to try on my car. What I have is a 00 Trans am. I currently have a built 4l60e by Dr. Evil transmissions. I also have a strange 12 bolt rearend. I just bought my short block which consist of a callies rotating assembly with a 4.125 stroke and a bore of 4.04, the pistons are by Ross. I also just picked up a set of AFR 225 big bore 72cc heads to throw on there. With this setup I am supposed to yield 11.1 to 1 compression ratio. I know this is higher then most would ever think of doing forced induction with. But I have also seen a lot of people going with higher compression these days in the FI world. I have been considering going with a procharger since they seem to like the higher compression, or so I've read. A friend of mine has a F1A kit up for grabs and that's another reason I thought of going that route. I currently also have a fuel system I was putting together for forced induction which includes a weldon 2025 pump, weldon brfpr, weldon fuel pump controller, kinsler pre and post filters, and E-boost which I know wont do anything with a procharger though.

So like the topic says. Would it be feasible and/or logical?
And would you go Turbo or Supercharger?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct, a centrifical supercharger typically doesn't require as low of compression as a turbo system. With methanol injection, you could probably go either route (turbo or supercharger) and make it work with your 11.0/1 compression ratio.
That F1A kit would be a great way to go, and if you can get it for a good price, I'd say go for it. I'd add a front mount intercooler assembly to it, if he doesn't have one for it. You'll be surprised how much extra power you'll make with forced induction. Bob
Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
FormerVendor

I agree, you should easily be able to run 8 psi or so, maybe a little more with the meth injection.

You brought up a question that maybe Bob could shed some light on, could the e-boost2 be used if you also ran a blow off valve? I've been wanting to run one on a S/C application, but haven't had a chance to try it. Maybe the guys at EPP already have.

Ed
Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
That F1A kit would be a great way to go, and if you can get it for a good price, I'd say go for it.
Ummmm... I do not know on that one. For the amount of boost the motor can handle( even with a lot of meth and high octane fuel ), the F1-A is going to be overkill unless you can get it for dirt cheap and put on a huge blower pulley. I feel a P1SC will be a better fit. 11:1 compression is very high for FI cars.

I also feel a more important question is how are the rings setup on the pistons? For a 4.125" stroke crank, are they spaced correctly to handle the long stoke and FI. I am not sure the crank on a LQ4 and FI will play well with each other.

Keith
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Teching In

The kit I am looking at does have a front mount intercooler. It also has the option of coming with a snow meth kit. For street use I would run it on pump and meth. But when racing I would want to run the meth and race gas.

Is it possible to run 8lbs with that high of compression on pump gas with meth? Or is it possible to go higher then that? The car is not driven much at all. It's not my daily driver, it's just a weekend or day off of work car as long as the weather is good. How many lbs of boost could I run with meth and race gas? I am really considering this since I will probably never stumble across a deal like this again.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Ohh yeah. Bob (epp). Is it possible to run the E-boost since the setup i am looking at actually does use a blow off valve?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Eboost is for turbos only, sorry to say but its a neato gauge.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Teching In

K, well that's fine. Any estimated power output's? Just trying to see if 8lbs is possible on pumpgas.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy the F1 Kit and I'll trade you my D1 head unit plus cash...

That should work out nicely for you.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Nah, I think I'll stick with the F1 if I go that route. Thanks for the offer though. haha
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Jesus Christ, people boost the hell out of questionably built stock parts. With what you bought you should be worried about what fuel to use, not about whether or not to boost.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Second Club

^^^ amen
Old 08-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Teching In

Haha, I hear you. I am not worried about if it will last. I know it will last as long as I have no detonation. I was just worried about whether or not it would be smart to do something like this to a motor with that high of CR, or if I would even see significant gains on pump gas w/meth. Also just curious still if anyone has an estimated power out put with 8lbs on pump w/meth on this type of setup.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Holy **** people have too much money, an F1 with 11.0 compression? Yet on pump gas and I though running stock trans and rear on high horse applications was ballsy. Good luck man but I'd go 7psi max myself
Old 08-03-2007, 07:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It comes down to fuel. On pump you will have to run a minimal amount of boost. With meth you can run more and if you can run race fuel all of the time then you can crank er' up. Cam selection can also help to lower dynamic compression a bit to help stay away from detonation.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Websy21
Holy **** people have too much money, an F1 with 11.0 compression? Yet on pump gas and I though running stock trans and rear on high horse applications was ballsy. Good luck man but I'd go 7psi max myself
Haha, I wouldn't say I have to much money, I wish that was the case. It's called either a CC(which I haven't done yet), saving up for it, or selling a project car to get parts for the main car of concern now.

Hellbents10, you brought up a good point that slipped my mind. A cam could help a bit. I more then likely would be running pump gas plus meth all the time on the street. And then at the track it would be race gas of course. Now I just need to figure out if it's really worth the possible gains, or to just use a healthy shot of nitrous to compensate. I would prefer the power on tap all the time though. We'll see I guess.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Looks like it's a done deal. I will be picking up the kit on monday as well as my heads. The engine will be here on wedsnesday. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I am thinking I may just swap the pistons out for some diamond forged pistons. I'll be looking into that.

Any advise on what pistons I should go with, and what compression ratio I should shoot for would be awesome. Thanks