Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just fired up my 3.3L Whipple on my C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Houdini
I really never understood that line of thinking... "nobody ever spends money on the LT1, therefore, the market must be dead."

Nobody spends money on the LT1 because there is nothing to spend it on. Every manufacturer jumped on the LS1 bandwagon when they first came out, because they were the new coolest motor, and they left the LT1 in the dust!

How many head manufacturers make LT1/4 heads... what, 2 or 3 tops, with maybe 1 or 2 flavors of head per manufacturer!

Now flip over to the LSx side of things... 23 billion different heads to choose from!

The same can be said for the forced induction side of things. LT1/4's really only have one option when it comes to FI... ATI D1sc. On the other side, the LSx is flooded with forced induction kits, every damn time I turn around a new kit is coming out, single turbo, twin turbo, twinscrew... and on, and on!

It's my opinion that there is a giant void in the F-body market and thats with the LT1's. You have 20 different forced induction manufactures fighting over a set amount of LS1 buyers, while the LT1 guys sit in the dark and jack ourselfs off.

Make a kit for the LT1 and you will corner the market.

Make a kit for the LS1 and you will be one of twenty.
thro up a few pictures of your engine compartment, and let's see what it looks like?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Great post! Awesome car! Hooked on this post.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll bust out the camera tomorrow and post up a bunch of pictures, I will also make an attempt at providing some measurements to give you a better understanding of what your looking at.

If you need any specific measurement points please let me know.

I'm glad that you are, at the very least, showing some interest in this idea. When your only options are a ATI D1sc or a Possitive Displacement Twin Screw Blower... what do you thing people will go with?

It doesn't take a genius to know that the ATI units will spend alot of time on the shelves collecting dust!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

I'll bust out the camera tomorrow and post up a bunch of pictures, I will also make an attempt at providing some measurements to give you a better understanding of what your looking at.

If you need any specific measurement points please let me know.

I'm glad that you are, at the very least, showing some interest in this idea. When your only options are a ATI D1sc or a Possitive Displacement Twin Screw Blower... what do you thing people will go with?

It doesn't take a genius to know that the ATI units will spend alot of time on the shelves collecting dust!
Can't promise anyhthing, but....

One of the last engine that I biult before getting out of the car business for quite a few years was an LT1!!

Yes, I'm that old. But small block Chevy's back to the 283 and 327 have always been my favorites.

So, if the cowl/hood problem is not real bad, maybe we can retrofit one of the aftermarket manifolds..seing as they are probably fairly cheap by now...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjw
Can't promise anyhthing, but....

One of the last engine that I biult before getting out of the car business for quite a few years was an LT1!!

Yes, I'm that old. But small block Chevy's back to the 283 and 327 have always been my favorites.

So, if the cowl/hood problem is not real bad, maybe we can retrofit one of the aftermarket manifolds..seing as they are probably fairly cheap by now...
1993-1997 LT1's and LT4's, are radically different from the SBC LT1's of the good old days... if thats what you are referring to.

How old we talking about?

I'm 31, and for the most part, an old man on this board. Or so it seems anyways.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:41 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

1993-1997 LT1's and LT4's, are radically different from the SBC LT1's of the good old days... if thats what you are referring to.

How old we talking about?

I'm 31, and for the most part, an old man on this board. Or so it seems anyways.
Mid 50's....but still young at heart
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

That is a 25-30psi blower. You have a 10psi belt set up if that. A 2.2 KB or a 2.3 Whipple would be more practicle for the boost you will be able to run. Are you going to adapt an 8-10 rib pulley at some point? I can see that belt launching off at 5K. Im sure you have just begun so that may be why the belt is so small. That belt will stretch after a few WOT's. Looks bad azz none the less.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
That is a 25-30psi blower. You have a 10psi belt set up if that. A 2.2 KB or a 2.3 Whipple would be more practicle for the boost you will be able to run. Are you going to adapt an 8-10 rib pulley at some point? I can see that belt launching off at 5K. Im sure you have just begun so that may be why the belt is so small. That belt will stretch after a few WOT's. Looks bad azz none the less.
This is my low boost setup (stock bottom end) I have a forged engine getting ready to test the high boost capability of the whole system and Yes whatever belt/pulley setup is needed to reach the blower's rating of 800rwhp/800t or better.

We need to walk before we run and this setup is somewhat esperimental and just starting thru the testing stages.

when it's done you'll hear about it and Yes, for most the 2.3L would be a good choice...I'm just not most...lol Actually the bigger blower should make more power with a lot less speed, simply because it flows more air, so I may make decent power with that 6 rib belt.

It does look kind of funny being so small next to the blower...a ten rib would look killer
Old 08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Some more pictures of the pretty much finished 'Stage 1' setup

From inside the car...gaugs check for air filter restriction and vac pump operation

To the dyno tomorrow for some load testing and initial numbers

se ya lata...
Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome can't wait to see those numbers!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a nice set up! I hope you can make it work on f-body. I would like to see a intake pipe like the Kenny Bell, that way I will be able to use my functional RAM AIR!
(BGRA kit)

Warren
Old 08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

ANY VIDEO'S GUYS.????? ... ...Such nice setups....
Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cracker
Thats pimp as sh*t!

We just installed a 3.4l Whipple on a cobra. It has our stroker motor and non return fuel system. we should be tuning it tomorrow or Sat.

The one thats gonna be a BEAST is a 03 Cobra, 3.4l Whipple, HPP Billet Rodded Stroker, HPP Ported Heads, HPP Billet Blower Cams, Stainless Steel Valves, Dynamic C4, Weldon return style system and some weight out. Should be piiiiiimp!
Love to see vid of that also--and pics...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Very interesting, I don't mind cutting my cowl but it would be nice if it fit under a SS Camaro hood.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks very compact for a twin screw setup!!! I think you should try and design an air intake to use the ram air type hoods for the fbodys. A dual air filter setup using the same filter on your C5 running right along each side of the blower would give us fbody guys plenty of versatility for either ram air or cowel hood (and it would look like stack fuel injection air filters). Oh where the hell is the throttlebody??? I know it's got to be after the air filter and before the blower but I see no room for it...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Very interesting, I don't mind cutting my cowl but it would be nice if it fit under a SS Camaro hood.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good although I think the filter looks a little small for the size blower etc... Hopefully it will just suck the windsheild off LOL!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Looks good although I think the filter looks a little small for the size blower etc... Hopefully it will just suck the windsheild off LOL!
I used a vacuum generator and managed over 1000 cfm with that little filter.

Ideally the final version will have betwen 96 and 120 sq/ in. surface area.

Guys

REAL world and SOP performance is outstanding...startup, idle, low speed, bumper to bumper and throttle response are all amazing.

This setup has gone from concept to drawing board to installed and running in a VERY short time frame.

Any NEW setup, especially one like this that incorporates as many somewhat unique features, is bound to have problems of some sort. So far I haven't had ANY and Ihave 800 miles on setup, 150 to 200 on current setup as in pictures. So, let's see what happens at the dyno and in time.

btw: 2.3L is on the way , but manifolds are currently on backorder. I am trying to locate one to start on the F body solution.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy Crap that is amazing!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

No numbers yet...spent the whole afternoon and on every run, the computer froze and had to be rebooted.

It was a very frustrating day to say the least.

I have a deal going with the owner wherby I get free dyno time, so I will be back there tomorrow seeing if I can fix the computer or whatever it is that is causing the problem

It's a Dynamite dyno and from what I know , this has been happening from since it was brand new, and mostly with high powered vettes and vipers, but that it happens intermitently and randomly. (Second time for me)

So if anyone knows about this dyno and whether it could be a grounding issue or computer related, please let me know.

Sorry...will get some numbers up as soon as I can.

Quick Reply: Just fired up my 3.3L Whipple on my C5 Z06