Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help! Magnafuel pump blowing fuses!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Magnafuel pump blowing fuses!

It figures, I don't drive the damn car for a few weeks, nothing is ever going on, so I organize an event for this week and decide to get the car ready today. Sure enough, a few blocks from my house it dies. No fuel pump. 20A fuse is blown. I pull another fuse from the horn (20A) and get it running, back to the house. It blows that fuse backing into the garage. I don't see any wiring problems, and the pump carries pressure fine when it runs. Is the pump shot? Its practically new.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

My battery was almost dead today BTW, I had to use my jump pack to start it. Could that have anything to do with it? After driving for a few minutes (when the fuse blew) the car restarted on its own but was still pretty weak. My voltage is pretty high once started though, like 14.5 volts. I read on the magnafuel site that low voltage can cause problems but I wouldn't think it would cause amp draw that high. Both times the fuse blew the car was at idle, coincidence? Or could the low engine speed (idle in gear) drop voltage enough (even though my gauge says 14+ volts) to make the pump draw high amperage?

Last edited by TS6; 08-11-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you using two relays and fuses?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

One fuse, 2 relays. I think its the wiring kit Magnafuel sends with the set.

Its been fine till today. This is as dead as the battery has ever been FWIW. I used to keep a battery tender on the other battery but haven't found one for the optima yet.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like you got a draw somewhere and/or you definitely are grounding out somewhere causing a short. probably an easy fix, you just have to go over all the wiring and see if its exposed somewhere
Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I went over the wiring and don't see any shorts or anything. I would think if it had a short it would pop the fuse when I turn the key. Both times it popped the car was at idle. The pump was not hot to the touch either.

The car has a draw but I am not sure if its just the ecm/radio or if its something else. Its always been that way, leave the car sit for a couple weeks or 3 weeks and its dead or close to it.

Its on the charger now, but its my gay little battery tender for my Odyssey battery, it'll take 10 years to charge it like that but I'm afraid to use my big 20A charger on it. Should I?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Had the same problem. Your problem is the battery. Replaced the low stock battery with a new red top and haven't had a problem since.

My only guess is that with low voltage it's drawing a large amperage. We ended up doing more than blowing fuses, we were melting them.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, I got it charged up and its been Ok so far.

Quick Reply: Help! Magnafuel pump blowing fuses!