Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IC for STS kit..mounting by air dam

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IC for STS kit..mounting by air dam

what sizes fit under here, i got the car in charlotte and want to research this a little and then order the IC and get her done, i got the shop to do piping and to dyno it; just need the IC, LOL.

just wondering what sizes people have done, what i'm looking to do is mount it right by the air dam so air flows through it and then up through the radiator, i've seen several peoples done but never got sizes.

I look at the PTS kits IC but thats a tad outa my price range... up in the thousands. If it really takes that to get a good one I will , i want to do it right do it once...i don't know a lot about ICs. I do know that there is usually a pressure drop and a CFM/horspower rating
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
what sizes fit under here, i got the car in charlotte and want to research this a little and then order the IC and get her done, i got the shop to do piping and to dyno it; just need the IC, LOL.

just wondering what sizes people have done, what i'm looking to do is mount it right by the air dam so air flows through it and then up through the radiator, i've seen several peoples done but never got sizes.

I look at the PTS kits IC but thats a tad outa my price range... up in the thousands. If it really takes that to get a good one I will , i want to do it right do it once...i don't know a lot about ICs. I do know that there is usually a pressure drop and a CFM/horspower rating
Well, with everything in it's stock location, there's not much room there, IMO.

I had just enough to stuff a little oil cooler in there...

Old 08-18-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

i did a cooler for my power steering by the drivers side blinker , used the hole below it as airflow

i will cut up the front bumper UNDER the car, i don't want to remove the license plate cover and such; i have seen people fit good ICs down there and work. just gotta find them and the sizes
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact billy from texas rear turbo...

His screen name is trtturbo..

He can tell you the size you will need!!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill measure mine for you. I just installed it and it fit perfectly. But i did have to remove my washer tank and all the plastic air dam stuff. If came in a used kit i bought off tech. Dont think they make the kit anymore.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys, i will message trtturbo about it, i think i arleady talked to him but idk...will do
Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You dont have to remove the washer reservoir. You do have to alter the bumper support the way I do it.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

So how much would this intercooler cost than? and what's the size? Is this what your talking about?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails IC for STS kit..mounting by air dam-intercooler.jpg  
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ran mine in front of the radiator/condensor its a 20*12*3???. I had to buy a new hood latch bracket and put a little bend into it. It now bolts to the bumper bracket on the bottom instead of the core support. you can see in the pic that the intercooler is now mounted where the bracket used to be. The black braket isn't bolted in place yet. (as of photo date)
Here in SoCal I never see intake temps more than 110*, and those are when I'm in stop and go traffic or stopped at a light

Old 08-19-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hows your coolant temps with that setup? Those designs look like they completely block the radiator.

Wheres that IC from?
Im still a fan of bboyferal's setup with the mesh license plate.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine blocks the radiator as much as the condencer does. When the fans are on you can really feel the air flow through the intercooler, condencer and radiator. The only time my car ever got real warm was on the dyno. It was 90* out and we had done about 10 full 4th gear pulls from 2500 -6000 rpm with minimal air flow. even then we only saw 235*. We then set the fans to come on earlier.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just buy the kit from billy...it will be cheaper and better in the long run...
Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Ok well i have a TRT FMIC and it is one really cool mechanical wise decreased IAT's by about 40-60 above ambient(AZ is really damn hot!) this thing fits perfectly with all the hardware from TRT and all u need to do is cut the bumper support and drill 2 holes thats it and get the piping to fit with the other piping then its done....
Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00WHITETA
So how much would this intercooler cost than? and what's the size? Is this what your talking about?

Thanks,
Jimmy
im with him on this one
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...hmentid=103217
Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would rather properly cut open the license plate filler and run a nice grille in front than cut up the bottom support. That pic shows all three plastic fasteners have been removed. My current bumper has already torn from not having those installed. I like all the support I can get.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00TurboTA
Ok well i have a TRT FMIC and it is one really cool mechanical wise decreased IAT's by about 40-60 above ambient(AZ is really damn hot!) this thing fits perfectly with all the hardware from TRT and all u need to do is cut the bumper support and drill 2 holes thats it and get the piping to fit with the other piping then its done....
whats the size and where can this thing be bought at? please explain more, I'm interested
Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

ok gave up on under the car; going front mount and removing bird... just wont work great any other way.

I see PTS has a STS upgrade kit with piping and intercooler fro 1300$$.....thats kind of a little steep for me but if it gets it done right and works great i'll spend it, i do it once and do it right.

I have a guy that can make my piping for me and weld and such...just really need an intercooler : what would be cheaper? just buy the PTS kit or have an IC made then pipes and welding??
Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

STS kit is only $7 or 800 from TRT. It comes with the piping and hardware for installation. If you need dimensions, the largest you can fit (to my knowledge) is 32x12x4. The largest you can fit without removing the fogs is 20x12x4. And those sizes are for the "overall" total size of the whole unit NOT the size of the core.
I think you'll like the look of having the mesh front end. I got a TON of looks from other cars with the open bumper because they see the bare intercooler and immediately know whats on the car.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

ok... looks like i guessed right!!! 20x12x3 is what i thought.... so SWEEET
Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
STS kit is only $7 or 800 from TRT. It comes with the piping and hardware for installation. If you need dimensions, the largest you can fit (to my knowledge) is 32x12x4. The largest you can fit without removing the fogs is 20x12x4. And those sizes are for the "overall" total size of the whole unit NOT the size of the core.
I think you'll like the look of having the mesh front end. I got a TON of looks from other cars with the open bumper because they see the bare intercooler and immediately know whats on the car.
whats funny about it now is i can go wherever im going people don't look at the car really, they just think its a trans am... then BAM they hear it

but i think the IC will be a nice addition; i will prolly get even more looks, and just say, oh its just my bigger radiator i had a problem with my car overheating

Quick Reply: IC for STS kit..mounting by air dam