Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo help needed

i will admit now, this little system will be going on a traditional pontiac motor. i am planning on using twin TO4B's, or something similiar, on a hot little iron headed 462 pontiac. my question is, can i run some kind of remote oil tank for my turbos? i don't know if the turbos can pump their own oil or if they need it pressurised. also, if anyone has some cool turbo info link that would be appreciated too. thanks. sorry if there is a better place for this thread to be. feel free to move.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The engines oil pressure is what "sends" oil to the turbo's....in laymans terms.
Tap into the oil system and run a feed line to each turbo. Just make sure both turbos are above the oil pan so you have proper drain back. If not you'll have to run a pump to get oil from the turbos to the pan.

462 ci, go bigger on the turbo's
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would but the turbos i will be using are rebuilt units and the TO4B's seem most common and an easy way to get 800+hp thats pump gas happy, i'm searching for tractor turbos or something from a tractor trailor/dump truck. i'd like to know what has what turbos but that info seems kinda tough to find (or i am not looking in the right places). thanks for the info though, i guess my turbos won't be getting their own dedicated source of oil.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXNV
i'm searching for tractor turbos or something from a tractor trailor/dump truck.

At least buy halfway decent turbochargers. I know there is nothing better than dressing up an ancient all iron motor with ancient technology turbochargers to some people, but why not make use of those 462 inches?

As for the oiling, I'd use the engine system. Otherwise you'd need to add tanks, pumps, and God knows what else. Just upgrade your oil pump, add at least a quart of pan capacity, and that should be more than sufficient for a high RPM, TT V8.

Quick Reply: Turbo help needed