Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I need your opinions on a turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need your opinions on a turbo setup...

This is long, but it has to do w/a vendor and member on this site and your opinions are greatly appreciated! I chose to leave the parties anonymous for the time being.

A friend of mine who rarely posts here prepaid for a custom turbo setup in full right at 2 months ago. He was told it would take 4 weeks to build the kit. So my friend (we'll call him john) sent out a check to TUNER X w/full intentions of getting his turbo kit w/in the month for the agreed amount. So a month rolls by and TUNER X calls John and tells him it's pretty much done, there's just not going to be room for an air filter. So this poses a problem that goes back and forth for a day or two because John wants an air filter for his turbo car that will be driven some on the street. So John and TUNER X decide that the cost of the turbo system will go up $500 so TUNER X won't be out too much and be able to put an air filter on the car. John was pretty bent out of shape because he really didn't want to spend the extra $500 for a mistake he felt was not his fault, but it was TUNER X's fault. However he didn't want to cause problems so he paypal'd the $500 to TUNER X the same day! Another month rolls by and not a whole lot has happened so John sends this private message here on ls1tech:

"Hey TUNER X, I was just going to see what the latest was... I've been as patient as I can be and am starting to get a little ansy, but I'll still be patient. Like I've said before, I know how these things can be, however I was just going to see if I could get some sort of timeline for this project to be finished. The season is wrapping up in a hurry! Thanks TUNER X--John"

So tuner X gives him 3 options. First one is to let him continue w/the build despite the fact it may take a while and can't guarantee any sort of timeline. 2nd option was to refund a part of his money and send him just the parts that were ordered for the build (ie turbo, wg's, flange, bov) and he'll take the hit on labor. 3rd option is to refund money in full.

So John appreciates the fact the TUNER X is willing to work w/him on everything and John decides he would just scrap the whole thing for now so he could at least put his N20 setup back on the car and at least get some enjoyment out of this race season seeing how it had been cut short because of the lenght of time for the turbo build. He also didnt' think option 2 was feasible because when he intially ordered the turbo setup, he never had intentions of getting just the turbo parts and some money back, he ordered an entire kit. And of course John didn't want to wait any longer w/no guarantee of a finish date on the turbo setup (option 1).

So John asks TUNER X for his money back in it's entirety. Now TUNER X decides that option 2 is the ONLY option and that's all he is willing to do and says that John will have to build the entire kit on his own. Don't you guys think it's only fair to send John back all of his money since TUNER X cannot deliver the product that was paid for in full and up front? Your opinions are greatly appreciated! --Andy
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Post the names so the TUNER has a reason to not look bad and he will be more inclined to take care of this situation. I don't understand why you would try and protect someone who is trying to screw your friend over.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Tell your friend it could be worse. Not saying that it is right or acceptable but I've been waiting in the same situation since Oct. of last year. I feel his pain though, it sucks big time.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Its not secret I was doing the build, and I was building it for the thread starter. I built what was asked for up front. A race style setup. I then get asked to make changes to the setup to allow room for a air filter. This threw a huge kink in the time frame of the build and the time frames of many other customer builds. I have dealt with it the best I can. I chose not to push back other paying customers builds due to the change on this build. Why should other suffer over something that is not thier fault? Yes I did offer 3 options before talking to my business partner who handles the financial end of the shop. My mistake. When it comes to the money what he says goes. I and my business partner decided the best for of action was to send the bought components for the build and the remainder of the money to the customer due to the custome nature of the build. These part were not in house parts used on production setups. We run the shop on a super tight budget and refunding the full amount due to a change of plans after a build is not fesible. I have accpeted the loss of the shiping charges, labor, steel cost for the build, V-band flanges, Turbo flanges, and so forth. There is a loss being taken by me that equate to alot more than labor.

I put this out in the open for everyone to see. I have been forth going about the whole situation. I will continue to try to come to an agreement with Andy on this situation.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
Post the names so the TUNER has a reason to not look bad and he will be more inclined to take care of this situation. I don't understand why you would try and protect someone who is trying to screw your friend over.
I didn't want anyone's rep. to be hurt by the situation until both parties agreed to come to a conclusion. I guess I'm stuck w/a turbo and some of my money back...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
Yes I did offer 3 options before talking to my business partner who handles the financial end of the shop. My mistake. When it comes to the money what he says goes. I and my business partner decided the best for of action was to send the bought components for the build and the remainder of the money to the customer due to the custome nature of the build.

So then you are basically saying that your word is worthless?
I mean I understand where you are coming from, and I know you probably are being more honest than most, but if you gave him the 3 opitions then you should stick to your word. It sounds to me like you should have talked to your partner first, but like you said it was YOUR mistake to offer him what you did so YOU should pony up and eat the loss.

This is what we call "Buisness Ethics"

Just my .02
Old 09-02-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
So then you are basically saying that your word is worthless?
I mean I understand where you are coming from, and I know you probably are being more honest than most, but if you gave him the 3 opitions then you should stick to your word. It sounds to me like you should have talked to your partner first, but like you said it was YOUR mistake to offer him what you did so YOU should pony up and eat the loss.

This is what we call "Buisness Ethics"

Just my .02
x2...
Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah on on the other hand, the customer should stick with what was ORIGINALLY ORDERED!!!!

If he asked for a RACE setup then thats what he got... I dont know many racecar turbo setups that run airfilters....

So the customer ALSO needs to stick to his word!!!

If you ask for something extra, you dont just get that stuff for FREE... The extra 500 dollars is what they needed to complete the built the CUSTOMER wanted, and he did not want to spend the extra 500 bucks, so he got what he ORGINALLY ASKED FOR, A Race style turbo kit!!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just wait the extra time to get a bad *** setup???

I mean thats just my .02........ I would wait the extra time and get the turbo kit you purchased...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Alright. It has been settled already. It did not end up like eigther Andy or I would have liked. However it is and will be taken care of Tuesday when the Turbo and Check goes out.

I wont discuss business ethics with anyone. I wont discuss the mistakes made by Myself or Andy with anyone. I posted up becuase it is how I wanted it to be. I wanted everyone to know it was my shop. If it cost me a sale down the road then I will deal with that. I am not trying to start a pissing match with anyone. It has been settled. It is done.

End of Story.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Always had nothing but great and up front business dealings with Josh. You pay for something, Josh delivers what you pay for.

Props for a good sponsor.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000TurboVert
Yeah on on the other hand, the customer should stick with what was ORIGINALLY ORDERED!!!!

If he asked for a RACE setup then thats what he got... I dont know many racecar turbo setups that run airfilters....

So the customer ALSO needs to stick to his word!!!

If you ask for something extra, you dont just get that stuff for FREE... The extra 500 dollars is what they needed to complete the built the CUSTOMER wanted, and he did not want to spend the extra 500 bucks, so he got what he ORGINALLY ASKED FOR, A Race style turbo kit!!!!

Somebody has a reading problem. The Customer paid the extra 500. You come across like a 17 year old here, seriously.

Josh- glad to hear it got resolved, not trying to start a pissing contest....Just posting my feelings on the subject, like the thread asked for. Sorry if it offended your delicate sensibilities to hear someone telling you to do the right thing.

Thanks for narrowing down my list of sponsors to buy stuff from buy 2 guys.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like its taken care of then.

LOCKED. If there is more to be said by the party involved and the sponsor, please take it to the sponsor section or to PM.