Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sleeper Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeper Project

Well I had to sell my TA to pay some bills before I leave for Iraq next month. So, I had an idea while I was driving my wife's car. I want to build it up with the money I am about to get. It is a 2002 Merc Grand Marquie, it has the 16V 4.6 SOHC in it. Where would I look to find either a supercharger or a turbo for it. I will have between 10 and 15K dollars to do the work. I have never had a boosted car before so I will be starting from scratch. My goal is to get it some where between 10s and 11s in the quarter. So I just need any advice some of you experts can give me and where I should start. And if any one knows of some one doing some thing like this to one of these car links would be awsome. Thanks in advance for any help here. Just trying to start a plan and budget so I can get started as soon as I get back to the states.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I am a dumn ***, forgot that there is a Mod motor tech attached to this page, will repost there, but if any one here does have some suggestion I would still love to hear them.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want it to be a true sleeper I would go with a turbo because you can't hear them as much as a blower... It'd be cool to see it boosted though... good luck and stay safe...

What part of Iraq are you going to??? It gets very lonely and boring there... Make sure to get some good car mags... They come in handy for sure.. =)
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will be in Taji, Right now my buddies is there and they have lost 8 guys this week and in the past month they have lost 25 to injury or death. Well I have not found a turbo kit but I did find a 6 psi Supercharger kit. Says it is good for 90 real wheel hourses, I also plan on a cam, exhaust, tune and maybe heads or so head work. Just don't know what all I have to do to make it fast.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.cruizinconcepts.com/detai...uct_id=AL-M90S -CV99-6

Here is the supercharger I found, does any one know much about that brand. Don't want to waste that kind of money.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for the Mercury Marauder guys - they actually produced a blown version of this car as a sleeper with a lot of common Cobra mods fitting.

Jim
Old 09-10-2007, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

this has nothing to do with what your asking, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in Iraq and i hope your safe. I just lost a very good friend over there and i would hate to see it happen to anyone else. best wishes. -Todd-
Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man, yeah it found out where I am going and it is the same place that I lost one of my best army buddies two years ago. But I think I will be okay. But really it all boils down to luck, not much you can do about that. Now I am having second thoughts about doing the car, I saw a 05 Ram SRT-10 with a paxton blower and it is pushing out something like 800 to the wheels. Sounds pretty damn bad ***!!!!!!! But I am not making anything final till I make it back to the states. Thanks for the help and good wishes guys.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I would not put a lot of money in a 2002 Mercury unless it was a Marauder, and even then I would just bolt on a poweradder setup and plan to rebuild the trans within 6 months. High 11's from a car like that is plenty sleeperish.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to mod it see if you can snag a 03-04 cobra shortblock or a maurader shortblock and forge it. Then go Turbo!

Quick Reply: Sleeper Project