Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

compression ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default compression ?

the APS system is designed to work with stock compression ~10:1 depending on engine wear etc, if i'm building a turbo motor and plan on using this system, it is nessecary to lower my compression??

I'm planning on a 427 @ about 10:1 (i'm going to use a lunati stroker kit that yeilds a 10.6:1 SCR using 69cc heads, with 72cc heads and i'll try and get it as close to 10:1 as possilbe by playing around with the gasket thickness).

now if my logic is working correctly, i should be able to pull it off if i don't use any more boost than the system is setup to run with normally, ~8psi. if i can, i'm also going to try and screw around with the tune and meth to get a high boost level of ~12 to 15psi for racing (road racing) only.

if any of this seems absolutly impossible, please let me know. OR if any of it seems entirely feasible, once again, please tell me. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are building a moto why don't you at least get it to like 9.5 to 1 or atleast below 10
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

the car is going to split its time evenly between street and track and i want to make as much power on motor as i can to not only improve street manners and drivability, but also to reduce the accellerated premature wear that is commonly associated with running higher boost levels.

if the motor is running higher compression, it should, in theory (because sometimes things just don't work out), make more power on the lower end of the powerband - torque - than a similar motor of less compression. this extra low end power would be highly beneficial to a street car. add to that, higher compression engines tend to be a little more efficient than low compression engines, especially in the lower power band (that is, at or below 2000rpm) when the turbos wouldn't yet be making enough boost to compensate for the loss in power due to lower compression, and it's just a better idea.

i know some is going to point out that the difference in effceincy is only marginal, but at nearly 3$ a gallon for 93 octane, i'll take all the margin i can get.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

I totally disagree and the added boost would make up more than enough to compensate for the .5-1 point of compression loss. Go atleast 9.5 minimum unless you are gonna use meth and/or not going to turn up the boost................... ya right!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

well, the only time i'd turn up the boost would be when using meth...i just want to know if it's possbile.