Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Magnuson Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnuson Question

I'm considering getting the magnuson s/c. My concern is what has been done to the motor already. I have the Patriot 59cc heads and the TSP 231/237 cam, SLP headers. The magnuson is 7lb of boost. Am i going to have a problem or what should I do.

Last edited by SS125; 09-06-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SS125
I'm considering getting the magnuson s/c. My concern is what has been done to the motor already. I have the Patriot 59cc heads and the TSP 231/237 cam, SLP headers. The magnuson is 7lb of boost. Am i going to have a problem or what should I do.

Your cam might be a shade more aggressive than anything I have run with a magnuson, but as long as the LSA isn't less than 112 you should be ok. With the 59cc heads, what is your compression? off the top of my head, I'm thinking you may be at 11.0:1 or so, which is borderline. At worst case, you would have to run a meth injection kit to prevent detonation under boost, but other than that, I don't see a problem with your current setup.

Ed
Old 09-08-2007, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

I have a ms4 cam on 111lsa and the car seems pretty damn wicked by the seat of the pants. Im going to get it dynoed the end of the week hopefully so ill see what kind of numbers it puts down. I would say go for it all you would have to do is change the cam down the road. But it will for sure work with your set up now. I also have prc stage1 ls6 heads on the car and long tubes. I was only seeing 5 pounds of boost. I got a 3.2 pulley on the car but i have to pin the crank yet because i only picked up a half pound off that. So belt is slipping or the crank pulley is turning on me under boost.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

You could always sell the heads and get Patriot to do some lq9 heads for you.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Just a update i got my car dynoed yesterday and it put down 574hp and 505ft-lbs. Im running the ms4 and prc243s from texas-speed. its only on 6psi also.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats pretty good. Much better then I am running lol. Hopefully when i get my oil consumption issue taken care off maybe I will gt my numbers up there as well.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
Just a update i got my car dynoed yesterday and it put down 574hp and 505ft-lbs. Im running the ms4 and prc243s from texas-speed. its only on 6psi also.
That's pretty damned good. Let me ask you a few questions. I assume your torque curve looks like badmonkeys, straigh up, right? And you have a 6-speed, correct? This might be a question that I already know the answer, but what happens when you dump the clutch? Doesn't it just roast the tires? If that is the case, are you going to get slicks or et streets for it. And if you do are you worried about the tail housing of the trans? I was talking to somebody yesterday about his and these were some of his concerns. The trans issue is a problem for me and with that much torque that quick that doesn't seem to good. Although it is great for a street car because it would definetly be impressive, If you can't hook, that power does no good. I'm not trying to preach or anything here, I'm considering this s/c, I just want to know how you and others deal with these issues or am I just thinking too much.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

If you have a high horsepower N/A block, Turbo, or Centri blower that could be an issue. Regardless of what kit it is. But if this was to be an issue I would ask the Mustang Cobra guys who have been running the Eatons, and KB's to see how many they have broken. They run a similar 6 speed as us I think.