Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Experts advice needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Experts advice needed!!

Ok well I am finally making the plunge and buying an sts kit....just a base kit with a t60...Anyways the reason for this post is....I would like to know if there is any advice, info, tips, tricks, anything helpful I should know when installing this...

I have seen some info on clocking the turbo to gain ground clearance, any info or pics on this? Im buying the Dynomax I pipes to help aid in ground clearance too.

Basically Im just looking for any helpful knowledge about this kit. Or any upgrades that would be a good idea?

PS: TO ALL YOU STS HATERS!! STAY OUT OF HERE!!! I DONT WANT ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS IN HERE!!! JUST HELPUL ADVICE!!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty STRAIGHT FOWARD...

I would follow the instuction manual to a T....

Def. Injectors...

I see it fit to get a BOV no matter what transmission you have...

Most people say only get it if you have a manual, but if you have an auto, I would still get one, because it keeps your turbo from spooling backwards, and its not NEAR as hard on the turbo it self...

And just a thought... If you EVER plan on making more than 5-6psi I would go ahead and fork out the money for the GT-67..... Its only a few hundred to upgrade when you buy the kit... But its over a grand if you do if afterwards!!!!

Good luck to you with the install!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I will be getting a BOV...I do have a manual...is it ok to buy an ebay knock off? or should I spend the money on a good one?

I also plan on installing an intercooler with the kit...ebay one.

I plan on doing to turbo upgrade later....first I want to get all my supporting mods finished...clutch, fuel system, 317 heads, rear end, bottom end.

A quick question for you...the turbo Im buying has a tad bit of play on the exhaust side turbine it moves about the size of a credit card and doesnt hit the housing....is this ok? or does it need to be rebuilt?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, its a rule of thumb.... Any used turbo, is ready to a rebuild, but its up to you!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Def. inj.'s, fuel pump, wideband O2's(preferably two, one for ea. bank)

The FMIC will def. be a much needed inprovement along with wrapping the exhaust. Also you may want to start the task of finding a new PCV set up, the STS is alright but you'll want something a tad better.

As for the rear end if it's going to be a daily driver a 10 bolt might survive but if it's going to be a track/road hound I would def. upgrade. I have been running my 10 bolt on OE 3.42's that I rebuilt for over 3 yrs.w/ the STS and problems yet... I know it will break but that's the beauty of knowing how to set them up!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Depending on the Power u want u might need a new rear, i have my stock 10 bolt (M6). But with the STS u might wanna wrap the exhaust, back to front, spool time(velocity), and then go with the TRT FMIC and bigger injectors and there is other lil stuff, I also strongly suggest a Tune.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Definately no boost with out some kind of tune(professional).
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

I'd go ahead and do the GT67 upgrade man, you say you want to wait on the supporting mods first, well save money now and just keep that 67 at 5lbs!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Ok well I am finally making the plunge and buying an sts kit....just a base kit with a t60...Anyways the reason for this post is....I would like to know if there is any advice, info, tips, tricks, anything helpful I should know when installing this...

I have seen some info on clocking the turbo to gain ground clearance, any info or pics on this? Im buying the Dynomax I pipes to help aid in ground clearance too.

Basically Im just looking for any helpful knowledge about this kit. Or any upgrades that would be a good idea?

PS: TO ALL YOU STS HATERS!! STAY OUT OF HERE!!! I DONT WANT ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS IN HERE!!! JUST HELPUL ADVICE!!

check out my link in my signature....it should help you out. and if you want a BIGGER resistor instead of the tiny thing STS sends you let me know, i got several of them. STSs small resistor gets FREAKIN HOT AS HELL!! and I stuck mine in the hole by the hood adjustment and fuses boxes on the drivers side so no one sees it
Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on getting it dyno tuned for sure!! I am getting the kit used so the cheap t67 upgrade isnt an option right now.

Im trying to find an intercooler to where I dont have to cut up my front bumper...

Anyone know the answer to my question regarding whether or not the exhaust side turbine should be able to moce back and fourt a little?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

There should be very little to no play on either side of the turbin or the compressor. If you have the tools you should measure the end play and match it to specs. before using it just to save some trouble down the road.

There is a thread running right now that is discussing the fmic without mounting it in the traditional front grill area. IMO this idea won't do any good b/c you don't have the same amt. of air flow passing through the cooler. I did the taditional FMIC and don't have any coolant temp or A/C condensor temp. problems and still dropped my IAT's heavily.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by my01ws6
I plan on getting it dyno tuned for sure!! I am getting the kit used so the cheap t67 upgrade isnt an option right now.

Im trying to find an intercooler to where I dont have to cut up my front bumper...

Anyone know the answer to my question regarding whether or not the exhaust side turbine should be able to moce back and fourt a little?
talk to TRTTurbo and have them make you one or something... I can get you the dimensions of what I'm using that doesn't require any cutting or removal of the fog lights and then you can decide where you want to get it done at. I just bought the PTS STS upgrade as I saw PICS and everything and liked it. look under the forced induction area and look for my posts with intercooler mounting by air dam or something like that
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any advice as far as the PCV system? What about the oiling system?

Do I need check valves? Anything else I should change while Im putting it on?