Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Having Belt Slip, will the SDCE set-up help?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Having Belt Slip, will the SDCE set-up help?

So I'm losing boost up at the top of the rpm range, and there is some black dust debri around the engine bay, which I think is the belt.

I have th stock 8-rib set-up (d1sc).

My question is, will the SDCE set-up help with this problem, and is it a big pain in the a$$ to put on? How much will it set me back?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the SDCE set up is a little better at controling belt slip for sure. Works for me no belt slip.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2000FormulaMan
So I'm losing boost up at the top of the rpm range, and there is some black dust debri around the engine bay, which I think is the belt.

My question is, will the SDCE set-up help with this problem, and is it a big pain in the a$$ to put on? How much will it set me back?

Thanks!
How much boost are you making? We have found the stock air filter to be a restriction at 12 psi on up, which places extra strain on the belt.
This air filter works much better in place of the stock one.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1086
Bob
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SDCE tensioner got rid of my belt slip and was really easy to install, I have a Lt1 But I imagine that the ls1 is just as easy, if not easier. The actual blower kt is way easier on the Ls1
Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000FormulaMan

Thanks!

I saw 16psi this weekend in Memphis with the sdce and zero slippage... This will solve all belt slippage issues till about 17-18psi... I think KP runs just a lil more boost than me... But @ 16psi, I have no problems...

Bob @ EPP will have your pricing... I spend 695 for mine, back in the day...

I'd consider selling you my entire engine setup if your SERIOUS... you'd run the #s in my sig w/ the right suspension setup... I have dyno # and ET slips to prove...

J
Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

SDCE will help slippage. I am running near 15#'s of boost in mine, and have no slipping issues what so ever all the way up to 7,000 RPM. I think I spent a painful $500 for the tensioner, and although I didn't install it, the shop who did said it was kind of a pain. Honestly I think they are ripping people off at $500 a pop, but I don't know anyone else who does it, and even though it is pricey, and they sometimes take months to send them out, it does help prevent slippage.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I went from 0 pounds of boost (due to belt slip) with the six rib to 10 pounds of boost with the SDCE set up. Below are my findings.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/406255-sdce-spring-tensioner-final-results.html
Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
SDCE will help slippage. I am running near 15#'s of boost in mine, and have no slipping issues what so ever all the way up to 7,000 RPM. I think I spent a painful $500 for the tensioner, and although I didn't install it, the shop who did said it was kind of a pain. Honestly I think they are ripping people off at $500 a pop, but I don't know anyone else who does it, and even though it is pricey, and they sometimes take months to send them out, it does help prevent slippage.
Its a ripoff if it doesnt work, if you need it, its a bargain.

I am running the same belt I put on April of 2006, have the F1A almost maxed out and have no slip issues at 7300+rpm. I had some earlier this year and it turns out my EWP was dripping water on the crank pulley, needless to say that was causing some problems..

No matter what it costs and how much of a pain it is to initially set up it works, plain and simple. Its a low volume item so you have to pay the price. This SDCE setup is about five years old now (forcefed98 bought it new originally) and is still working fine. Not a necessity but I would recommend it to anyone that is getting serious.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
Its a ripoff if it doesnt work, if you need it, its a bargain.

I am running the same belt I put on April of 2006, have the F1A almost maxed out and have no slip issues at 7300+rpm. I had some earlier this year and it turns out my EWP was dripping water on the crank pulley, needless to say that was causing some problems..

No matter what it costs and how much of a pain it is to initially set up it works, plain and simple. Its a low volume item so you have to pay the price. This SDCE setup is about five years old now (forcefed98 bought it new originally) and is still working fine. Not a necessity but I would recommend it to anyone that is getting serious.
To say it works would be correct. To say its a bargain, I find hard to believe. There isn't much to the design, or the materials, and there really is no reason other than the fact no one else makes one that they should be able to get away with charging $500+ for them. I agree that it is a needed part, and it helps prevent slippage, but I just can't agree that its a bargain when I believe they are over inflating the price just becuase they can.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
To say it works would be correct. To say its a bargain, I find hard to believe. There isn't much to the design, or the materials, and there really is no reason other than the fact no one else makes one that they should be able to get away with charging $500+ for them. I agree that it is a needed part, and it helps prevent slippage, but I just can't agree that its a bargain when I believe they are over inflating the price just becuase they can.
If you are trying to run a fast and consistent procharged LS1 F-body 700.00 or whatever they cost is nothing in the big picture.

They charge what they can, if no one buys them the price will go down. Lot of that cost in int he crank pulley and I for one fully expect to pay someone for an idea if it helps me out. I doubt anyone at SDCE will retire off of building LS1 tensioners, the ATI setup is adequate for most people and you arent even looking at a big enough market for someone to rip off the design and sell it at half price.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Call it a matter of opinion then. If there was only one company making air filters for all superchargers, and they wanted to charge $300 for them, even though I would consider it highway robbery, I would still have to buy one, because no one else makes them. Now, I don't see everyone needing a tensioner either, but to go so far as to say another company couldn't come in and start making their own, and selling it for what it should cost (maybe $150-$200 or so IMO) and be profitable? I would have to disagree there. It may not be much in the whole big picture of everything cost wise for a supercharged F-body, but it is still an over inflated price IMO.

BTW, they make them for other cars other than LS1's.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM
kp
8 Second Club

How much do you think it costs to make a crank pulley? Call ASP and see what they charge for an 8 rib billet pulley. There goes your 200.00 right there. ATI is a ripoff for 500.00 for a damper as well, just some metal and a couple rubber bands. I for one would LOVE to get everything for what it costs, I bet they have about 50 cents in a big mac in materials, so paying 2.39 is a ripoff as well.

No one puts a gun to anyone's head to put a blower on their car, its a luxury, and if someone comes up with a good idea to fix a problem I fully expect to pay for it if its not feasible to make it myself. In a perfect world we could all just work for free and get everything we want for free, but I'm sure you dont give your paycheck back to your boss at the end of the week because you feel guilty

Like I said, you dont HAVE to buy one from them, just make one yourself, sounds simple enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having Belt Slip, will the SDCE set-up help?