Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

few turbo LT-1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default few turbo LT-1 questions

building a homebuilt rear mount style turbo kit on a LT-1 caprice just have a few questions. its a stock LT-1 for now, possibly getting a boost cam this winter but besides that it has impala ss slp headers, slp MAF, bbk TB, and hypertech (getting hp tuners) with a few other little things. thing is im wondering what these injectors and fuel pump max out at and what are good replacements, what amount of boost can be run on a stock motor non-intercooled, non-intercoolered with alky, intercooled, and intercooled with alky. doing this on the cheap with used parts and what not. it wont be a screamer, but just a fun DD. what is a good turbo to be looking at for somethin like this? looking to run 5-8lbs im guessing. anything else i should be lookin at here as a future problem?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no hptuners for your vehicle
Old 10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has to be application based? there has to be a way around that. you cant use a LT-1 camaro pcm since your changine your fueling and timing anyway? or are we looking more into a stand alone unit?

or is it the fact that HPT is LT-1 capable yet? who is using what to tune LT-1s around here?

Last edited by Dom87SS; 10-25-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom87SS
building a homebuilt rear mount style turbo kit on a LT-1 caprice just have a few questions. its a stock LT-1 for now, possibly getting a boost cam this winter but besides that it has impala ss slp headers, slp MAF, bbk TB, and hypertech (getting hp tuners) with a few other little things. thing is im wondering what these injectors and fuel pump max out at and what are good replacements, what amount of boost can be run on a stock motor non-intercooled, non-intercoolered with alky, intercooled, and intercooled with alky. doing this on the cheap with used parts and what not. it wont be a screamer, but just a fun DD. what is a good turbo to be looking at for somethin like this? looking to run 5-8lbs im guessing. anything else i should be lookin at here as a future problem?
Some advice:

1. Put the stock manifolds back on and wrap the exhaust piping all the way back to the turbo to reduce lag.

2. You can get a conservative mailorder tune to get you up and running. There is no HP tuners available for LT1's and probably never will be.

3. I would use a Masterpower T60-1 with .68A/r if you want to save money. They can be found for under $600 new.

4. You should ditch the stock injectors and fuel pump right away, buy some 42's or even 60's (the pcm needs to be tuned for them) and get atleast a racetronix intank single Walbro fuel pump setup.

5. Non intercooled - I wouldnt push more than 5psi
Alky only - 7-8psi max
Alky and intercooler - same thing as alky only (I wouldnt push it)

6. Be prepared to either get new clutch if you have an M6, or a new auto tranny rebuild (as they suck stock when you add power).

If this car is your only car (daily driver) then dont boost. Any amount of boost can pop a stock LT1 if the tune is off.